Modular Manned Extraplanetary Vessels Mk II

So 0.21 is out, and I love starting fresh every update, I've decided to rebuild some stuff from 0.20.

It's basically "Go there and do it as you want it to be done" Mission Kit

Here's previous thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36214-Manned-Extraplanetary-Vessels

And rockets I use to lift stuff up into orbit: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33381-0-20-2-Zenith-rocket-family-%28modernised-for-0-20-x-with-perfect-subassembly%29

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Still don't know where to send this thing and how to name it. Any ideas?

I was thinking about Laythe as my destination. But untill that happens I will add 2 planes to it with refuelling booms. I will make that probably tomorrow.

EDIT: Album fixed

Edited by Veeltch

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice design! I'm working on my own modular system but taking the more conventional "pusher" approach, ie. propulsion and fuel in the back, payload in the front. I love the way you built the nuclear engines in pairs like that.

Thanks! Although they look cool it takes some time to make burns. I have that module redisigned with 6 instead of 4 engines. The next mission will be probably colonizing Duna again.

About the pics of Eve mission: It probably isn't happening for a week, because of some network limits.

Edited by Veeltch

Thanks! Although they look cool it takes some time to make burns. I have that module redisigned with 6 instead of 4 engines.

Hehe, I hear ya :D I considered swapping the nukes out for a Poodle at one point, until I realized that would only equate to a parts reduction (and a very minor thrust increase) compared to four nukes - at the expense of about 50% delta-v. Six nukes should help with Duna missions but the added mass will start to work against you when you want to go further out. That said, your design does carry an awful lot of fuel so you could probably get away with it!

I would love to see how you attach the planes onto that beast of a ship for a Duna mission

I had some ideas for attaching planes, when I was planning on going to Laythe. But with limited symmetry of stock VAB it's kind of tricky.

DAMN! I wish I could post those pics already! I'm halfway through building another vessel destined to Duna.

Been testing yesterday a cool rover design, and it's ready to be a part of the mission.

Edited by Veeltch

I'd be careful with just slapping more engines on. My most successful IPV (interplanetary vehicle) only uses 8 NERVA's. It has 10k dV and can haul some serious cargo anywhere in the system. Just don't expect drag racer performance, do your transfer burns in segments to maximize oberth effect gains. It takes my ship 24 minutes of burning, 4x 6 minute burns, to break Kerbin's SOI on course for Jool when carrying a full modular base cargo.

Don't be afraid to be slow.

I'd be careful with just slapping more engines on. My most successful IPV (interplanetary vehicle) only uses 8 NERVA's. It has 10k dV and can haul some serious cargo anywhere in the system. Just don't expect drag racer performance, do your transfer burns in segments to maximize oberth effect gains. It takes my ship 24 minutes of burning, 4x 6 minute burns, to break Kerbin's SOI on course for Jool when carrying a full modular base cargo.

Don't be afraid to be slow.

Can we have some pics, please? :3 Would love to see that beast.

Here is a picture of Osiris II carrying my own modified version of Rune's modular base system. All together thats a payload of something around 140 tons? Dropped it on Laythe and returned, still had some fuel left for correcting inclination and such over Kerbin. The Osiris-class is built for complete reusability and modularity, as I upgrade the ship's different modules and components I can swap them out as I want. Osiris I is still around and flying, using the upgraded Osiris II crew module. My goal is to create a full interplanetary fleet, enabling reliable transport from Laythe to Kerbin. Every window a ship leaves Kerbin, and every return window a ship leaves Laythe, kinda like the backstory for James Cameron's Avatar.

hk1aOY9h.jpg

There are more pics and such on my own thread for the ship and her predecessor, Osiris I. CLICKY

The great thing about Osiris is she's light on part count and if requested, I could make an entirely stock version of her. Only mods used in the actual ship are Welded stock parts to reduce part count.

Edited by Yalin Hawk

Although it's not my style of building, I really like it's functionality, Yalin. Wish there were stuff like that IRL ),:

Almost finished my Duna vessel. I've been told that the limits will be reset tommorow, so I will be uploading the pics then.

Hey Veeltch, my modular system is nearing completion and it actually looks like it might be compatible with yours :) I'd love it if you could have a look and give me some feedback. I feel I've worked out most of the kinks, but it's my first project of this kind and I'm sure I could benefit from your experience. Clicky linky thingy.

This thread made me rebuild my ship of similar design from 0.18. Currently it is being loaded with bits for a test flight to Duna to see if it actually works as I never got to try it the first time round. Here's an image:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37952-Round-trip-ships?p=498864&viewfull=1#post498864

Been quite interesting reading this and the modules thread and look forward to seeing what's to come.

Edited by Oddbin

Hey Veeltch, my modular system is nearing completion and it actually looks like it might be compatible with yours :) I'd love it if you could have a look and give me some feedback. I feel I've worked out most of the kinks, but it's my first project of this kind and I'm sure I could benefit from your experience. Clicky linky thingy.

I really like it, Wayfare. You did pretty similar thing to what i made in the old thread.

PICS TIME!

^^^

This is EF77 Stratus-A

Crew: 4

Max crew: 8

It's engine section is flipped 90 degrees, and that's why I had decided to make it Stratus class vessel.

^^^

And here's EF78 Nebulon-B

Her sister is now orbiting Laythe.

Crew: None

Max crew: 8

I will be probably using it as the return vessel from Duna.

Right now it's orbiting Kerbin.

Slightly modified to make the burns less boring.

Edited by Veeltch

Although it's not my style of building, I really like it's functionality, Yalin. Wish there were stuff like that IRL ),:

Almost finished my Duna vessel. I've been told that the limits will be reset tommorow, so I will be uploading the pics then.

Yeah she's not the most aesthetically pleasing thing in the sky, but the whole ship clocks in under 200 parts, leaving lots of room for payload. If a part doesn't serve a direct purpose, it's not used. I've done everything I can to remove weight/part count from the ship so I can keep slapping on heavier cargoes. :D

I do like your completely modular ship setups, I'll have to try that out. Has me thinking...

Ok, so today I fell in love with Kethane. And I think I'm gonna make YET another thread but in Mission Reports section this time.

The same save file.

The same ships.

And THAT is why I made them modular. I just attach Kethane stuff to them and I'm good to go. No redesigning needed. I'm smart :3

This thread will be probably abandoned If 0.22 won't have resources in it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.