[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.22 Discussion thread

ngianoplus

What features are most likely to make it into .22?  

1. 1. What features are most likely to make it into .22?

• Enhanced IVA's
    • Resources and Mining
    • Discovery and Celestials
    • New Aerodynamics and Reentry
    • Kerbal Training
    • Weather and Clouds
    • More work on career mode (be specific in comments)
    • More work on current celestials (lava, craters, geysers, etc)
    • Heavy Optimazation

I like how 41% THINK resources will be in the next release. I seem to doubt that. Wouldn't resources be something that would likely break saves? Because it's have to keep track of it? I'd think they'd wait another 4 or 5 versions if they could before breaking saves again. I think in the meantime, they will complete career mode (maybe ability to edit kerbals and move kerbals between ships as well as allowing *us* to see how they plan on tracking career stats), training, and more heavenly bodies (we're about due for a new planet, methinks)

I like how 41% THINK resources will be in the next release. I seem to doubt that. Wouldn't resources be something that would likely break saves? Because it's have to keep track of it? I'd think they'd wait another 4 or 5 versions if they could before breaking saves again. I think in the meantime, they will complete career mode (maybe ability to edit kerbals and move kerbals between ships as well as allowing *us* to see how they plan on tracking career stats), training, and more heavenly bodies (we're about due for a new planet, methinks)

The devs have no qualms about breaking saves, and rightly so. Resources is not only a highly-requested feature, but it will change the way the game is played. With that being said, however, I think that kerbal training will be next.

Firstly, I am holding out on .21 (but am now loving after the .21.1 hotfix, yay squad, thx!) until all the mods I use are known to have compatiblity fixes (and until I can take some time and edit my craft files so I don't lose all my kethane stuff, which is almost my entire space program, and then convert it over to the .21 deal, and lose my munar targeting probes in the process due to likely terrain crushing :().

.22, what I want:

Resources

Weather

Enhanced aerodynamics

More work on planet terrain (including procedural cratering, lava, geysers, etc.)

.22, what I expect:

more procedural cratering, possible additional terrain features

heavy work on career mode, missions, completable objective type stuff

more stuff with kerbals

adding function to mission control

. . . more heavenly bodies (we're about due for a new planet, methinks)

I think with procedural cratering, we might want to look at the possibility the next "heavenly body" will actually be an asteroid belt.

It would also be cool then to see Eeloo get pushed farther out and add a saturn analogue in there with rings and several new moons.

I'm hoping for resources. I've been holding off getting kethane in the hopes I'll get the stock equivalents. I still really want to build a Mun base but there isn't much incentive to do so until resources/mining are in the game. I could see it tying into the career mode and since they had started work on it already maybe it'll come together nicely in the next patch.

So I went back to look at the .21 update news http://http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content.php/184-KSP-0-21-Update-News and I looked at this-

* Player Progress Tracking System

Another step forward into Career Mode, this is an internal game system that will be used to track players as they progress towards advancing Kerbalkind to being a proper space-faring civilization. This is a core system, so don't expect much in terms of new content from this... It will pave the way towards some very cool new features down the road though.

So I guess we will see more work involving the progress tracking system.

Edited by ngianoplus

So I went back to look at the .20 update news http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content.php/164-Update-on-the-0-20-Update and I looked at this-

* The Kerbal Knowledge Base

This is the first iteration of a new game system that'll be a big thing later on. The Knowledge Base will show all known information about anything you can focus on the map. Be it celestial bodies, ships, or Kerbals floating around.

So I guess we will see more work involving the Knowledge Base.

So i watched Scott Manley's v.21 video, and he discovered that the unknown building is a mission control center. what could this building be used for? most of the mission control is already encompassed in the Tracking Station, and the only thing i could really think of is a place to put Kerbals to make flying space probes much more realistic. any other ideas on what the building could be used for? also, when Kerbals are able to be trained, what could other possible training fields be?

The current version of the game requires heavy bugfixing. I'm not implying performance, but some serious optimizations will have to be made for surface bases to be feasible without the necessity of stealing all supercomputers from NASA in order to render it.

I can't wait for revamped aerodynamics. It will change the game completely and it will allow reentry heat and clouds, such as these...

Kerbin From Space- YzWzZYY.jpg

Kerbin From an EVA kerbal- KFs965I.jpg

Disclaimer: These are pre .20 pictures

I remember first seeing those pictures in a dev-stream, and gawking instantly, even in that early iteration, they looked fabulous. I think that Squad is going to firmly rooted in developing Career mode until it is done from now on, and then overhaul the aerodynamics system (along with art passes on all the spaceplane parts) when Career mode's infrastructure is basically completed. Then I think that will be the time for heavy optimization, allowing far more celestials to be added to the game, along with the discovery mechanic. That's just me speculating however, don't quote anything, just seems the logical way to do things IMO. I don't think we'll be seeing resources for a good-long time, and they'll probably fit in tweakables with one of the coming updates.

This brings me to another point, after Career mode is finished, which will only take a few updates (I sincerely hope), isn't the game feature complete? Are our glorious alpha days coming to an end? Harv himself said that resources and colonization were slightly out of scope, once Sandbox and Career are both finished it seems like the game would only need polish and small additions...

I remember first seeing those pictures in a dev-stream, and gawking instantly, even in that early iteration, they looked fabulous. I think that Squad is going to firmly rooted in developing Career mode until it is done from now on, and then overhaul the aerodynamics system (along with art passes on all the spaceplane parts) when Career mode's infrastructure is basically completed. Then I think that will be the time for heavy optimization, allowing far more celestials to be added to the game, along with the discovery mechanic. That's just me speculating however, don't quote anything, just seems the logical way to do things IMO. I don't think we'll be seeing resources for a good-long time, and they'll probably fit in tweakables with one of the coming updates.

This brings me to another point, after Career mode is finished, which will only take a few updates (I sincerely hope), isn't the game feature complete? Are our glorious alpha days coming to an end? Harv himself said that resources and colonization were slightly out of scope, once Sandbox and Career are both finished it seems like the game would only need polish and small additions...

This is how I feel. I bet once Career mode is finished we will see all of the goodies that SQUAD has shown us and talked about. I think the .25 update will be the beginning of major feature adding. The next updates will be career mode and some content and after that we will have updates with pure content additions such as resources, aerodynamics/reentry heat/clouds/weather, more planets/solar systems, and other features such as tweakables.

I voted 'Kerbal Training' because it sounds the most disappointing.

Given the last three or four releases, anybody who thinks more than one of those is actually going to come in the next patch is a delusional optimist.

I mean, seriously, "new aerodynamics"? The aerodynamic model has been a pile of fail since spaceplanes were introduced over a year ago, and apparently making the VAB prettier was considered more vital than making winged aircraft not-absurd.

Edited by Frostiken

Given the last three or four releases, anybody who thinks more than one of those is actually going to come in the next patch is a delusional optimist.

I mean, seriously, "new aerodynamics"? The aerodynamic model has been a pile of fail since space planes were introduced over a year ago, and apparently making the VAB prettier was considered more vital than making winged aircraft not-absurd.

While I don't agree with your negativity, I will say that you are correct. I am a little confused why everyone thinks resources will come in the next update. I remember the dev team said that resources would likely we after career mode was finished. I have hopes that "Enhanced IVA's", "New Aerodynamics and reentry", and "Tweakables" at least have a chance of being implemented sooner rather than later. However, i have no experiance with code writing or game development so I could be completely wrong.

I mean, seriously, "new aerodynamics"? The aerodynamic model has been a pile of fail since spaceplanes were introduced over a year ago, and apparently making the VAB prettier was considered more vital than making winged aircraft not-absurd.

Yes you picked a very...harsh way to say it, but you haven't said anything incorrect at all. I have my opinions on the game's ideal route, and I think that the way that it's going is absolutely incorrect atm. I am very excited to see the new feature list. Anything besides this information tomorrow will be undewhelming (however unlikely it may be that the feature list will be published tomorrow).

This is a post from NovaSilisko on 12th June, 2013.

Quote: NovaSilisko

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

So I guess when the second gas giant is implemented we will get to see Eeloo's geysers? Furthermore, perhaps dynamic planet features are not too hard, so we will see lava too!

This is a post from NovaSilisko on 12th June, 2013.

Quote: NovaSilisko

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

So I guess when the second gas giant is implemented we will get to see Eeloo's geysers? Furthermore, perhaps dynamic planet features are not too hard, so we will see lava too!

Isn't Nova a Developer on leave? (whatever that means).

On one of the communities a dev said that one of the things they want to try is to add their own in-house version of the sub-assembly loader for .22 but it isn't set in stone since they haven't had their dev meeting yet to sort out what they will focus on for .22 at the time of that post.

On one of the communities a dev said that one of the things they want to try is to add their own in-house version of the sub-assembly loader for .22 but it isn't set in stone since they haven't had their dev meeting yet to sort out what they will focus on for .22 at the time of that post.

Could you possible give a source?

Thank you for adding some useful information to the .22 update. I appreciate it alot :)