New Mun's highest point?

The updated hilo.dat file for mapsat shows the Mun as -500;7500. From my initial mapping of Kerbin and it's hilo.dat info, I take those numbers as the lowest point and highest point. Granted, if that's true (and I'm still guessing) that could be just one peak at some odd inclination with average safe distance being somewhat lower. But, I have a feeling that if you orbit at about 7550, you won't hit anything.

• 2 months later...

i think flying in at 7km is a tad bit crazy. i prefer my orbits at either 8km or 12km depending what it is in orbit. my mun missions usually get the lower orbit while stations take my higher preferred level above the surface :P

lol... I think I just found it.

I literally just read your post as I was at 5870 (+/-20) on a zero inclined orbit... and then saw this on the horizon...

-snip-

I think the engine may need dusting :D

I am going to try dropping an orbit through that canyon. Sounds like a fun challenge.

"It is gray in appearance with craters of various sizes and mountains exceeding 5029 m in height."

"The Mun's highest points reach a maximum altitude of more than 7061 m near the south pole at 152.33° W and 82.52° S."

"Highest elevation--7061.1416 m"

(This is right from the Kerbal Space Program wiki.)

Edited by xoknight

• 2 weeks later...