[Picture Heavy] Arctic Aerospace - From the Beginning (UPDATE: Lunatone IV - Flyby)

ArcticX9

Hello all and thank for you taking the time to read this!

Arctic Aerospace is a relatively new company that has recently acquired the interest of Kerbin governments looking to extend the reach of Kerbal civilization into space. The purpose of this thread is to chronicle the endeavors of this daring space program.

The first mission given to AA was to launch a simple communication satellite into Kerbin orbit. Christened the Pidgey, the small rocket and probe system was launched to a 1,000,000m orbit.

screenshot157.png

The second launch was a result of a Kethane mining contract with KethCo - more on that later. The Pidgey-K (modified Pidgey probe) was launched in a polar orbit, but lacked the fuel to completely circularize the orbit. The mission was still considered a success, as it can still map the planet.

screenshot158.png

The third and most recent (to date) mission is the Rattata manned mission. The goal was to have our intrepid Kerbalnaut, Jebediah Kerman, perform the first full orbit of Kerbin.

screenshot141.png

The capsule separates from the booster successfully. The orbit is meant to decay so that Jeb will come down after a full orbit.

screenshot142.png

screenshot140.png

The camera feeds catch the dramatic departure of the booster stack as it falls back toward Kerbin.

screenshot144.png

Kerbol comes into view as Jeb sails along the suborbital trajectory.

screenshot147.png

screenshot145.png

screenshot148.png

"The view up here is really fantas- Err, I mean - control, I am crossing over to the light side of Kerbin as we speak!" Jebediah Kermin, 06:07 update.

screenshot146.png

screenshot150.png

Cameras atop the escape tower catch a stunning view as the sun sets behind the capsule.

screenshot151.png

Jeb begins re-entry procedures as the capsule begins to catch the atmosphere.

screenshot153.png

screenshot152.png

Reports came in from all over of a "bright red and orange carrot streaking across the night sky".

Around 10km, Jeb deploys the parachute for the final approach to splashdown.

screenshot154.png

screenshot155.png

As Jebediah Kerman, the first Kerbal to orbit the planet Kerbin, splashes down, Kerbal engineers back home are already planning something new.

That's all for now! Check back later for more!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Update quicklinks:

*Sentret I + Furret Rendezvous Mission

*Golem Probe - Former ICBM Turned Rocket

*Lunatone I-III Munar Probes

*LUNATONE IV - HISTORIC FLYBY - FIRST MANNED

Edited by ArcticX9

I like the mental image I get of your crafts and what's happening, but in at least the last half of your pictures, I can't see what is happening in the pic or what is even there. I would have recommended doing it in day.

I like the mental image I get of your crafts and what's happening, but in at least the last half of your pictures, I can't see what is happening in the pic or what is even there. I would have recommended doing it in day.

I was worried about that, I'll be sure to keep that in mind for future updates.

Following the short orbit success of Rattata I, Arctic Aerospace attention turned to launching a series of extended orbital launches, including a LKO rendezvous.

The first mission, Sentret I, was meant to prove to the stockholders and government contracts that orbital operations would extend the future of our space program.

screenshot159.png

Launched on a modified Rattata lifter, Sentret I made a daytime launch on July 28th, at 13:00. Hull cameras caught a dramatic sight as the craft flew skyward.

screenshot160.png

screenshot161.png

screenshot162.png

Once in a stable orbit, Jebediah, returning after prior success, went on EVA for the first time.

screenshot165.png

Before long it was time to head back. Jeb caught a stunning image of the... "Mun" as he began descent - inspiring Kerbals everywhere.

screenshot168.png

"Re-entry beginning - prepare for bright orange light, Jeb." - Mission Control, 21:00

screenshot169.png

screenshot170.png

"Woooooooo!" - Jebediah Kerman, 21:02

screenshot171.png

A triumphant Jebediah stands by his trusty capsule, ready for more.

screenshot174.png

Mission log: Furret I - Furret I on the launch pad, August 3rd, 10:05

"Mission control, this is Furret I - everything seems to check out."

screenshot173.png

"Solid copy, Furret - stand by for launch procedures. T-minus 4 minutes."

*3 minutes, 50 seconds pass...

"T-minus, ten... nine... eight... seven... six... five... four... three... two... one... Ignition..."

*Main engines fire 0:00:01

*Stabilizers released 0:00:02

*WARNING: Stage failure detected! 0:00:04

"Furret I, we have detected a staging error - initiate abort procedures."

"Furret I, confirming - abort?"

"Abort!"

*Emergency procedure active 0:00:07

*Decoupler fired, escape engines active 0:00:08

*Capsule clear of rocket 0:00:10

*Parachute confirmation...deployed 0:00:15

screenshot175.png

"Furret I, reporting - we're clear and safe."

This incident became known as "the most tense 10 seconds in Kerbin history". A staging mishap nearly caused a crash during the launch of Furret I - the first of two (now 3) launches for a rendezvous mission. Heavy revisions were made to the rocket in order to ensure full safety and better launches.

Furret II - August 10th

screenshot176.png

The revised rocket made it off without a hitch. Now fitted with RCS systems and a better emergency protocol.

screenshot177.png

screenshot178.png

Furret II hit a stable orbit later that day.

Furret III - August 11th

The second half of the rendezvous mission was launched the next day. A close encounter was quickly met - docking procedures began.

screenshot181.png

screenshot182.png

The twins docked very early morning, August 12th.

Pilot Bill Kerman of Furret III went on EVA to take publicity shots.

screenshot183.png

screenshot185.png

August 12th - Orbit to Mission Control - Televised contact

"Pilots Bill and Jebediah here, to mission control."

"Mission control - go ahead."

"We'd just like to say a few words to commemorate this-"

"Hey, Bill - race you back?"

"Not now, Jeb! Anyway, umm.. We made it!"

screenshot184.png

Furret II began re-entry procedures first, as it had been up longer.

screenshot186.png

screenshot187.png

Final stage separation and re-entry.

screenshot188.png

screenshot189.png

News teams were out in force and caught the stunning return of the intrepid space explorers.

screenshot190.png

screenshot191.png

Next stop...who knows?

That's all for this update - if anyone has mission contracts (suggestions) they would like me to do - don't hesitate to PM me or post a quick reply! Do note that the intention is to have this progress as naturally as a real space program. :wink:

Edited by ArcticX9

After the successful rendezvous mission, Arctic Aerospace wanted to try something uncontracted - using a former ICBM to launch a probe to orbit. Naturally, Jebediah brought this up and mission control decided to go along with it - after all, what better way to get rid of those old things?

screenshot200.png

After significant payload modification (careful with that warhead, Jeb...) the first Golem probe was ready to be launched.

screenshot201.png

screenshot202.png

The craft gains speed remarkably fast as the spent stages jettison.

screenshot204.png

screenshot203.png

screenshot205.png

The final SRB drops from orbit as the liquid fueled stage coasts to Apoapsis.

screenshot206.png

The fairings fall away as circularization begins.

screenshot209.png

The probe is the only thing to complete circularization, in order to minimize debris.

screenshot210.png

screenshot211.png

This relatively high orbit will pave the way for the Kerbal's next plan - a Munar probe flyby.

Following recent success, Arctic Aerospace has been contracted to carry out a full Munar mission consisting of a flyby probe (Lunatone I), Munar Orbit Probe (Lunatone II), Munar Lander Probe (Lunatone III), manned Munar orbit (TBD), manned Munar landing (TBD), and a potential Munar base.

WARNING: Highly picture heavy update incoming!

Lunatone I - Munar Flyby

screenshot212.png

Lunatone I - KSC Launch Pad - September 14th

"Final checks complete, Lunatone I is ready for takeoff."

screenshot213.png

The roar of SRB's was deafening as the rocket shot skyward.

screenshot214.png

screenshot215.png

The Lunatone I probe ejects from the fairings on the liquid fueled core stage as it clears the atmosphere. All debris will fall back to Kerbin.

screenshot216.png

screenshot217.png

The probe ascends to stable orbit before turning to burn for Munar injection.

"Probe in position, panels and comms deployed, fire for the Mun."

screenshot220-1.png

"Mun in view, commencing scanning!"

screenshot221.png

The probe makes it's pass, slightly losing contact on the dark side - worrying several scientists.

screenshot223.png

Gathering valuable and crater-related data, Lunatone I breaks the Mun's SOI and begins it's return to Kerbin.

screenshot228.png

It's a stunning sight as the probe begins to burn up in the atmosphere. Mission success.

Lunatone II - Munar Orbit Probe

The launch procedure for Lunatone II is identical to Lunatone I - the only difference being the design of the probe.

screenshot230.png

screenshot231.png

Lunatone II in Munar orbit. Mission success.

Lunatone III - Munar Lander Probe

Using a modified version of previous Lunatone launchers, Lunatone III has an extra liquid fueled booster section.

screenshot233.png

The SRB's take it the first 4 kilometers, then it's up to the liquid fueled stages.

screenshot234.png

screenshot235.png

screenshot236.png

Circularization underway.

screenshot237.png

Coasting along in Munar orbit.

screenshot239.png

screenshot240.png

screenshot241.png

After a tense final approach, Lunatone III becomes the first Kerbal-made object to reach the Mun intentionally. The data it is transmitting will provide valuable landing information for future missions.

screenshot243.png

Not to mention beautiful images of Kerbin and Kerbol.

screenshot244.png

With three unmanned Munar missions complete, it's time for preparations to begin for future Kerballed missions to the Mun!

Lunatone IV - Manned Munar Flyby

October 3rd - Beginning of one Historical Day

-Mission Transcript to follow; pictures included-

--KSC: "Control to Lunatone IV - preflight check complete, countdown commencing."

--L IV (Jeb): "Confirming countdown, I'm ready for liftoff here."

screenshot246.png

--KSC: "T-minus ten,nineeightsevensixfivefourthreetwoone IGNITION!"

screenshot247.png

*Solid Rocket Booster (x4) ACTIVE

*Mainsail @ 25% ACTIVE

--L IV (Jeb): "Systems are all showing green, confirming liftoff."

*0:00:20 later*

--KSC: "SRB's detaching, parachutes deployed."

*SRB Decouplers ACTIVE

*SRB Clear, Parachutes ACTIVE

screenshot248.png

--L IV (Jeb): "Fuel is burning out of the transition stage quickly, preparing to fire orbital insertion engines."

--KSC: "Acknowledged, proceed."

*Transfer stage clear

*Insertion stage ACTIVE

screenshot249.png

screenshot250.png

--KSC: "Lunatone IV, we show you to have optimal apoapsis, commence fuel transfer to main engine."

*Fuel Transfer ACTIVE

*Transfer 24%

*Transfer 68%

*Transfer Complete, Skipper Ignition confirmed

screenshot251.png

screenshot252.png

--L IV (Jeb): "Jettisoning fairings now."

screenshot253.png

--KSC: "Congratulations Jebediah on your third orbit! Enjoy the view!"

--L IV (Jeb): *Laughs* "Thanks guys - preparing for Munar injection burn."

screenshot254.png

screenshot255.png

--L IV (Jeb): "You wouldn't believe the amazing view of the Mun rising over Kerbin right now. It's stunning. Taking pictures."

screenshot257.png

screenshot258.png

screenshot259.png

--L IV (Jeb): "KSC, just looking to confirm I have the correct trajectory."

--KSC: "Looking good up there, prepare to alter course for LMO (Low Munar Orbit) transition."

screenshot260.png

screenshot261.png

--KSC: "Orbit achieved - excellent job all around! Jeb, take plenty of pictures. Periapsis will be on the light side today."

screenshot262.png

screenshot263.png

--L IV (Jeb): "Wow, this is amazing... Whoops, dropped my snacks. *rustling* There we go. Picture time!"

screenshot264.png

screenshot265.png

--L IV (Jeb): "You all back home are gonna love this. Kerbin rise over the Munar surface!"

screenshot268.png

--KSC: "We'll be developing those images for the after action report and media releases. Excellent job Captain. Prepare to return."

screenshot270.png

*Transfer Stage Clear

screenshot271.png

*De-Orbit Burn Complete

screenshot272.png

screenshot273.png

--KSC: "L4 has landed, welcome home, Jebediah."

screenshot275.png

News Release:

Image: A triumphant Capt. Jebediah Kerman stands outside of the Lunatone IV capsule that took him all the way around the Mun and back.

BRAVE KERBAL TRAVELS AROUND THE MUN, DROPS SNACKS, AND TAKES PICTURES

Captain Jebediah Kerman returned today from an historic journey. He became the first Kerbal to come within a stone's throw from the Mun, one of two natural satellites of Kerbin. The brave Kerbalnaut is being treated like a hero as he returns to his hometown...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.