0.21 UPDATED Munshine V Apollo-style Mun craft, including buggy, under 200 parts!

KbijiQI.png

Banner by drummerguy103

Awesome rockets for awesome people!

This craft is outdated! Find the 0.23 version here!

Introduction

It's been over six weeks since Wayfare AE&KA presented our flagship rocket, the Munshine V, which was met with rave reviews. Today the Munshine V returns in 0.21! Our engineers have been able to make significant improvements to this spacecraft. This includes a more powerful launcher, a more balanced lander and CSM, spectacular savings on parts and mass and an all-new mission sequence based on action groups. We're happy with our product and we hope you will be as well!

oDpvztD.png

Download the craft here:

(Right-click and "save as")

Munshine V – 195 parts Apollo-style Mun craft, fully featured and ready to roll.

Munshine V Lite – 156 part stripped version, does not include buggy or launch escape system and has a less sexy launch clamp arrangement.

Both craft in one handy ZIP-file.

This brochure includes:

- Our DERP Philosophy, explaining how Wayfare AE&KA's key design principles were applied to the Munshine V.

- Action Groups list.

- Pictorial Mission Report because yay pictures!

- Mission Manual in excruciating detail (second post).

Our DERP Philosophy

Dual editions: choose between the fully-featured Munshine V or the stripped-down Munshine V Lite for slower machines.

Economical: 195 parts for the Munshine V, a mere 156 (we kid you not) for the Lite!

Really pretty: Form follows function, but damn this thing is sexy.

Proven: We've flown her a dozen times and she's brought our crews back every time. That includes some pretty hairy abort system tests.

Action Groups

ABORT. Shuts down all engines, decouples command module and fires escape tower sepratrons. Frantic staging recommended to deploy chutes.

1. Launch Mode. Locks gimbal on outside launcher engines. May need to be pressed twice.

2. CSM Detachment. Decouples CSM from MM/third stage and engages CSM docking light.

3. Third Stage Detachment. Decouples third stage from docked MM/CSM.

4. Cruise Mode. Jettisons CSM engine shroud, engages CSM main engine and deploys solar panels.

5. MM Landing Mode. Undocks MM from CSM, lowers landing gear, engages landing engine and landing lights.

6. MM Surface Mode. Disengages lander engine and landing lights, engages flood lights and extends ladder.

7. Buggy Deployment. Decouples buggy from docking port, inverts steering on rear wheels, engages brakes on all wheels. Not featured on Munshine V Lite.

8. MM Ascent Mode. Decouples ascent module, activates ascent engine and MM docking light, disengages floodlights and retracts ladder.

9. CSM Return Mode. Undocks MM and disengages CSM docking light.

Pictorial Mission Report

(Even moar pics here)

6wM1vAZ.jpg

si4SAKc.png

zLjG5Io.png

From the pad to a 100km orbit in roughly five minutes. The entire ascent is flown under SAS and 100% throttle, using Action Group 1 to lock gimbal on the outer engines for stability. Gravity turn is initiated at 5,000 meters, gradually turning to 30 degrees off vertical when the first stage runs out around 20km up. The second stage then takes over, slowly tilting all the way to horizontal by the time the craft reaches 1,000m/s of velocity. The second stage and escape tower are then jettisoned and circularization is completed on the third stage. Boom - done!

p21rHvy.png

MN4DHwq.png

nsTOXsN.png

Trans-Munar Injection burn takes just under a minute with the powerful Skipper engine. Transposition, Docking and Extraction is achieved by using action group 2 to detach the CSM, yawing it 180 degrees and docking it onto the MM, then using groups 3 and 4 to ditch the third stage and CSM engine cover. Group 4 also activates the CSM engine for the next stage of the mission. We recommend you lock staging to prevent you from accidentally the whole Apollo-thing.

kvSiplb.png

XkUJoAd.jpg

GAPhh41.png

Correction burn, capture burn and crew transfer. We like to aim for a 30-40km circular, zero-degree inclination Mun orbit. Munshine V definitely has the fuel reserves for some more delta-v intensive landing patterns, but these are as yet untested.

dUh7JA8.png

n22QU56.png

oCvUbb7.png

Action Group 5 undocks the MM and sets it up for landing by activating the landing lights and engine. The legs are supposed to deploy too but it's a little wonky so just use Gears group (default G) if they fail. We like to start opposite our landing site, bring the Periapsis down to about 15km and then start our de-orbit burn a few minutes ahead of Periapsis to achieve a reasonably precise landing. Once on the Mun, Action Group 6 sets the

MM to surface mode and Action Group 7 deploys the buggy (not included on Lite Edition).

pmMZUS5.png

L48ABjC.png

9M6eMgD.png

When you're done on the Mun and the boys are back aboard, throttle up and hit Action Group 8 to engage ascent mode. RCS, SAS and Fine Control (default: Caps Lock) are recommended to control the very light ascent stage. Powered by a single Rockomax 48-7S, the ascent stage takes a little while to make orbit but it does offer the fine control needed for a direct intercept with the orbiting CSM.

Mfuo9g0.png

tEjYNU9.png

fu5u4yi.png

hRDU5GY.png

Finally, Action Group 9 ditches the MM (do this AFTER bringing your crew back to the command pod or there will be embarrassing questions to face back home) and sets up the CSM for the trip back to Kerbin. The CSM might have just enough delta-v to circularize around Kerbin without aerobraking, but the craft is designed for a direct return trajectory into the atmosphere. Once close to Kerbin, the action groups run out so we're back to staging: once to detach the SM and, after marveling at the cool re-entry effects for a bit, once more to deploy the chutes.

cNizBEz.png

Welcome back space heroes!

Edited by Wayfare

Mission Manual

Launch and Orbit

1. Double-tap ACTION GROUP 1 to engage launch mode.

2. Set throttle to 100%, engage SAS.

3. STAGE to lift off.

4. At 5,000 meters, turn to 10 degrees East.

5. At 8,000 neters, turn to 20 degrees East.

6. At 11,000 meters, turn to 30 degrees East.

7. First stage burns out around 20,000 meters.

8. STAGE to engage second stage.

9. Turn to 45 degrees East.

10. Gradually turn further East. Aim to be horizontal by the time you reach 1,100m/s velocity.

11. Burn horizontal until your Apoapsis reaches 100km, then cut engines.

12. STAGE to jettison launch escape tower (not included on Lite Edition).

13. About 10 seconds ahead of Apoapsis, re-engage second stage at 100% throttle.

14. Cut engines and STAGE just before Periapsis appears.

15. Circularize using third stage engine.

16. LOCK STAGING (default ALT+L). It's for your own good.

TMI, TD&I, Cruise, Capture

16. Burn to collide with the Mun (roughly 850 m/s delta V, 57 second burn).

17. Engage RCS and turn spacecraft along the normal axis (180 degrees or 0 degrees).

18. Use ACTION GROUP 2 to decouple CSM from MM/thrid stage.

19. YAW 180 degrees to line up CSM docking port with that of MM (Lite Edition requires you to manually open docking port shield on CSM).

20. RCS translate forward to dock back on to CSM.

21. Use ACTION GROUP 3 to jettison third stage.

22. Use ACTION GROUP 4 to engage cruise mode.

23. Execute correction burn to reach a 30-40km Periapsis over the Mun at 0 degrees inclination. We recommend you plot this as close to Kerbin as possible for maximum efficiency.

24. Execute capture burn at Mun Periapsis.

Mun Landing

25. Transfer two crewmen to MM.

26. Orbit until opposite from desired landing site.

27. Use ACTION GROUP 5 to undock MM and engage MM landing mode. Landing legs may refuse to deploy: use Gear button (default: G) to correct this.

28. Engage RCS and SAS.

29. RCS translate down to clear the CSM, turn MM to retrograde and burn until Periapsis is roughly 15km above landing site.

30. About 3 minutes ahead of Periapsis, burn retrograde to kill velocity down to roughly 180m/s.

31. Burn retrograde, keeping to the rule that 1,000 meters of altitude equals 10m/s of velocity. At 10,000 meters you should be going 100m/s; at 5,000 meters 50m/s, and so on.

32. Land safely and don't get killed.

Mun EVA and Ascent

33. Use ACTION GROUP 6 to engage MM surface mode.

34. EVA crew and plant a flag.

35. Use ACTION GROUP 7 to deploy buggy (not included on Lite Edition).

36. Once buggy is manned, disengage brakes to drive around like an idiot (default: "B", not included on Lite Edition).

37. Once bored with driving around like an idiot, return crew to MM.

38. Wait until orbiting CSM is roughly 10 degrees behind MM.

39. Throttle up to 100%, engage RCS and SAS.

40. Use ACTION GROUP 8 to engage MM ascent mode.

41. Immediately orient MM to 45 degrees East.

42. Burn until Apoapsis reaches 20km, then turn horizontal.

MM Recovery and CSM Return

43. Rendezvous MM to CSM.

44. Transfer crew back to CSM.

45. Use ACTION GROUP 9 to jettison MM and engage CSM return mode.

46. De-orbit MM using remaining fuel/RCS.

47. Burn to return to Kerbin, ensure Kerbin Periapsis is no higher than 20km. (roughly 270m/s delta V, 25 second burn).

48. Upon entering Kerbin's atmosphere, turn retrograde and UNLOCK STAGING (default ALT+L).

49. STAGE until SM separates from CM.

50. STAGE to deploy parachutes once CM is slowed to roughly 300m/s.

51. Land safely and don't get killed.

52. Pose for awesome photo-op.

Edited by Wayfare

Love it. Landed with only a few seconds of fuel remaining in the descent stage, just like Neil Armstrong :D

Tight! I tend to have about 10-20% fuel left, but then I've landed that thing more often than I care to remember during testing :D Did you have any trouble figuring things out? It's always tricky to explain a relatively complicated mission profile through the interwebs.

Tight! I tend to have about 10-20% fuel left, but then I've landed that thing more often than I care to remember during testing :D Did you have any trouble figuring things out? It's always tricky to explain a relatively complicated mission profile through the interwebs.

Only which direction to turn the MM ascent stage, because I didn't know what orbit my CSM was in (retro or prograde)!

Again, finished with barely enough fuel to rendezvous!

Got a few good pictures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Plus, there was no lag except when looking at Kerbin's terrain! Really, it's a well designed rocket.

Plus, this type of rocket is why I prefer stack rockets to asparagus or onion or whatever. There's something satisfying about watching the second stage blast the first away.

Edited by Gojira

replica17

Incredible rocket mate! Can't wait for more =)

Thanks! I'm currently drawing up plans for a modular interplanetary vessel. Stay tuned :)

tuliomir

This is an amazing rocket! I also used it as inspiration for my lifters, it helped me a lot to better understand how to make a good lifter without aspargus.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers tulomir, I'm very pleased with the launcher myself and will probably release it as a standalone craft at some point. The first two stages will push 50 tons to a 100km circular orbit with fuel to spare. If you use a small orbital third stage for circularization, I wouldn't be surprised to see this beast launch 70 tons or more. Not bad for inline staging :cool:

Edited by Wayfare

I love this rocket. I spent hours today flying it and following the directions. My goal was a rescue mission of an astronaut that I landed on the moon but wrecked the craft in the process. Didn't have enough fuel to return home anyway so the loss of the lander wasn't that big a deal. I've been planning to rescue this poor Kerbal for quite some time, or at least just bring him some cookies. I haven't been able to design my own rocket that could get there and back.

Then I found this beauty. My first try I screwed up the staging. My second attempt I landed on the Mun, but quite far from my target. Still this would be my first use of a moon buggy so I figured I'd try to drive over to get the poor soul. You can't imagine my dismay when I hit 7 and the buggy didn't drop to the ground. Probably a half an hour later I realized that if I'm EVA then 7 doesn't do anything. I had to board the lander again and THEN hit 7.

The rover drops to the ground, I board it. I have no idea how to drive it. A and D seem to turn the wheels but absolutely nothing at all happens when I press W or S or Q or E or SHIFT or CTRL or SPACE or anything else I've tried. The wiki seem to indicate that W and S should work, but I'm going nowhere. The battery says 400/400 so that's not the issue.

Is there something basic I need to know about driving a rover, or could it have broken or what? A Kerbalnaut's life is hanging in the balance here.

On a separate note are there any Kerbal lawyers interested in a lucrative false advertising suit against a large Aerospace and kitchen appliance corporation?

The rover drops to the ground, I board it. I have no idea how to drive it. A and D seem to turn the wheels but absolutely nothing at all happens when I press W or S or Q or E or SHIFT or CTRL or SPACE or anything else I've tried. The wiki seem to indicate that W and S should work, but I'm going nowhere. The battery says 400/400 so that's not the issue.

Is there something basic I need to know about driving a rover, or could it have broken or what? A Kerbalnaut's life is hanging in the balance here.

You'll find the rover drives a lot better when you take the parking brakes off :cool:

All four wheels have their brakes activated when you hit 7 so the rover won't roll away from the lander upon deployment. Hit "B" to deactivate them once you have a driver on board.

Thanks for mentioning this, I'll update the manual!

On a separate note are there any Kerbal lawyers interested in a lucrative false advertising suit against a large Aerospace and kitchen appliance corporation?

Dang I knew I forgot something - no disclaimer :(

You'll find the rover drives a lot better when you take the parking brakes off

Oh that's good to know. Is that different than going to each wheel and right clicking and making sure it isn't locked? Because I did that...

Oh that's good to know. Is that different than going to each wheel and right clicking and making sure it isn't locked? Because I did that...

I think you're referring to the "lock steering" setting. That only prevents the wheels from turning when you steer. It's useful to lock the center wheels on six- or more-wheelers.

Wow... this is very nice. I like the whole design. Even with the escape pod. Nice work.

Thanks! Did you fly it? If so, how did you like it? I've tried to balance the fuel loads to leave a little extra in each stage so it wouldn't be too unforgiving on first-time users.

Wayfare, great craft! Are you still working on the manual? Just don't want to miss it.

Thanks for all you do.

It's already done! Te second post in this thread contains a fifty-two step flight manual that should see you to the Mun and back without trouble.

Fantastic design without being too complicated, perfect! Great work!!

Thanks! Simplicity is an important design consideration for me. While the Apollo-style mission profile is by its nature needlessly complicated for KSP, it just feels so pro to do it this way :)

Thanks. I did get that second post Manual. I was referring to that nice pdf version with the cover artwork. It had only five pages when I found it.

Doesn't ring a bell - I don't think I made that :)

My bad. A different ship. A different time. Forgive my age...

No problem. I wouldn't mind making a nice PDF manual if the game updates didn't force me to redesign the ship every couple of months. I think I speak for all of us in saying I'd rather have frequent game updates than a nice manual though ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, a milestone - the Munshine V (in its various packages) has been downloaded over 600 times since the count was started. Release Day wasn't counted so the actual figure is probably quite a bit higher!

I wanted to make an announcement at 500 but missed it. Oh well :) I'm amazed that so many people clicked the little blue links and I hope most you actually flew and enjoyed this craft. I raise my glass - onward to a clean thousand!

Maybe answered elsewhere but I didn't see it, so I will ask.... Is this design totally 'stock' parts? Definitely want to try it out when I get home.

Edit: Just saw the TITLE says STOCK... argh.. .sorry

Edited by neepster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.