[Complete Rebuild!] Sputnik 1, 2 & 3 Replicas With optional "mini" version

4bmx.jpg

MAJOR UPDATE - COMPLETELY NEW CRAFT!

As part of my continuing space race thread I have built a completely new sputnik on a larger scale rocket. And have also built a replica of Sputnik 2!

This is a very part heavy craft at about 1000 parts! But don't worry, you can still download my mini sputnik below for machines that can't handle the full sized craft.

By popular request here is the link to my soviet style flag as used in the video

http://www./view/zd4i9suxx98p4fj/KSSR.png

b1si.jpg

Full Size Beatnik 1

The File! - http://www./view/apay5sqqvhxn5a4/Sputnik_1.craft

Some pictures of Beatnik 1 in flight.

vvby.jpg

nzj4.jpg

g28b.jpg

0oh3.jpg

Full Size Beatnik 2

qbau.jpg

8f7i.jpg

urok.jpg

9wg6.jpg

Full Size Beatnik 3

zkps.jpg

9fwp.jpg

ivsp.jpg

The File! http://www./?8emtbudjtdyfpd1

Mini Beatnik 1

Hotkeys

1. Deploy launch tower ladders.

2. Extend probe aerials once in orbit.

The File! - http://www./view/rizx9zicbi3w61u/Beatnik_1.craft

Some pictures of Mini Beatnik 1 in flight.

3w5y.jpg

mss3.jpg

opl8.jpg

q6q5.jpg

xm77.jpg

u739.jpg

More historical ships to come!

Edited by Mulbin

I just downloaded this

Like the rocket, very accurate for ksp, it's nice that this has such a low part count at last and I could enjoy the launch tower recreation

something has me puzzled, how did you manage the fairing using the engine? would've thought that the LV-909 would kill the payload since I know that you had to clip the engine inside the payload

I just downloaded this

Like the rocket, very accurate for ksp, it's nice that this has such a low part count at last and I could enjoy the launch tower recreation

something has me puzzled, how did you manage the fairing using the engine? would've thought that the LV-909 would kill the payload since I know that you had to clip the engine inside the payload

the 'damaging' part of the engine is only in it's bell nozzle - and only if you activate it :)

Yep, the issue isn't really damage but getting stuck! This is right on the edge of what you can do with a clipped engine before things start to get stuck together... you can tell it is pushing the physics a little when you decouple, it gives the satellite one hell of a slap as it separates and sends it spinning for a moment (the new Asas will get it back on track though).

*beep* *beep* *beep*

I have chatterer installed so it really does beep! :D

I love everything about this. Very well done.

I was inspired

accurate Vostock K launcher and mostly inaccurate payload

WgUs4mG.jpg

I basically made it from scratch, one funny thing though, I nearly killed Jeb when the batteries ran out and the reaction wheels quit, The thing spun out at 70Km, luckily the spin wasn't too huge so I just manually burned retro whenever I spun towards the retrograde mark

I then decided that I needed some batteries for my next flight

I think that it can do about 5 orbits or so without losing control now

I was inspired

accurate Vostock K launcher and mostly inaccurate payload

WgUs4mG.jpg

I basically made it from scratch, one funny thing though, I nearly killed Jeb when the batteries ran out and the reaction wheels quit, The thing spun out at 70Km, luckily the spin wasn't too huge so I just manually burned retro whenever I spun towards the retrograde mark

I then decided that I needed some batteries for my next flight

I think that it can do about 5 orbits or so without losing control now

Glad to see my flag getting an airing ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Mulbin, I think your comp belongs to NASA because the new rebuild seems like it's over 200 parts easy.

um... if 200 parts is a problem I think you might need a new computer :) The new build is over a thousand parts. I don't think I've ever made a ship under 200 parts before! Munbug is my most popular ship (nearly 10,000 downloads) and it's 850 parts...

um... if 200 parts is a problem I think you might need a new computer :) The new build is over a thousand parts. I don't think I've ever made a ship under 200 parts before! Munbug is my most popular ship (nearly 10,000 downloads) and it's 850 parts...

My little gaming laptop can't go over 150 parts, and certainly not over 1000 parts! I am jealous Mulbin, but don't be surprised when your gaming comp is mysteriously gone and is replaced with a somewhat dirty HP Pavillion. :D

My little gaming laptop can't go over 150 parts, and certainly not over 1000 parts! I am jealous Mulbin, but don't be surprised when your gaming comp is mysteriously gone and is replaced with a somewhat dirty HP Pavillion. :D

Hah! I'd better lock my office. Have a look on my Early Rockets thread, might be some stuff there that your computer will run.

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT - ORIGINAL MESSAGE REPLACED!

Just a quick message to apologise to anyone who may have taken my "rant" seriously about the many requests not to use cyrillic letters in my logos. It was meant to be funny... I'm British, that's what our sense of humour is like, Just watch our comedy. It rains here a lot.

Anyway, the comment is gone! Thanks again for all the downloads!

Edited by Mulbin

Mulbin, I must beg for your tutorial on how you created such magnificent fairings! My fairings are nothing more than a decoupler and a couple sheets of metal. I really want to know how you got the fairings all the way around the Sputnik, using no metal plates.

Also, you should change your title, you're not a Junior Rocket Scientist, you're a Master Rocket Builder!

Mulbin, I must beg for your tutorial on how you created such magnificent fairings! My fairings are nothing more than a decoupler and a couple sheets of metal. I really want to know how you got the fairings all the way around the Sputnik, using no metal plates.

Also, you should change your title, you're not a Junior Rocket Scientist, you're a Master Rocket Builder!

Can you tell me how you did the launch clamps (launch towers)?

The best way to figure out my techniques is to download the craft file and have a look at it in the VAB!

I dont understand how the satellite is stored in the rocket? There is no fairing.

From what I saw in the VAB its somehow clipping through an engine, but how does it glide out if its stuck inside an engine??

Any answers would be great!

I dont understand how the satellite is stored in the rocket? There is no fairing.

From what I saw in the VAB its somehow clipping through an engine, but how does it glide out if its stuck inside an engine??

Any answers would be great!

I assume you mean the mini sputnik? You can clip an object partially through another without much trouble, things don't tend to get stuck in engines until the engine ignites. With other probes I have clipped the engine completely inside the probe so it leaves the shroud behind and the engine remains inside the probe.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.