How to add a low level, constant light to an object?

Tassyr

As Khaos said, you could use an emissive texture. The little green "light" on one of the radial batteries in the stock game uses an emissive rather than being a proper light, if you wanted an example.

There's a good tutorial on setting up an emissive here. You don't need to use the engine emissive module in the config, you can do it without anything in the config at all. To get it to stay on constantly, just don't do the animation section, if I remember correctly.

Edited by hoojiwana

You can still do an animation and use config to define 'dim' parameters. That way its not just on or off, it will fade between each state as per the anim and settings. You use a different module for using emissive textures for engines than for lights....that threw me for a loop at first.

Wait, so I might be able to make a slowly pulsing light instead of a steady one? This could be infinitely better...

[Edit] Erk, I thought it was just something in code. Ohboy. Time to learn Blender, I guess. >.<

You use a different module for using emissive textures for engines than for lights....that threw me for a loop at first.

Good point, I've adjusted my post to reflect that. I do suggest looking at the config for that battery part in stock to see if that's what you're after.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.