[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I've uploaded my latest experimental version (in my sig), including the reception throttling and auto vacuum plasma mode switching, along with the latests dev tweaks implemented by fractal.

It's probably best to delete your warpplugin folder to remove duplicate parts.

Let me know of any issues you run across. Extra eyes should spot more bugs. Spelling errors, wierd/missing tooltip information, or strange behavior. Nothing is too small to report.

Love the work you're doing on the mod - I'll give this a try tonight.

Would you be interested in adding a small UF4 tank I put together? I was having a hard time building an SSTO to service my orbiting power plants with the full tank so I built one 1/8th the size. Dry mass is only 1/3 the size of the large one so the larges are still more efficient. It's just a .cfg file that goes in WarpPlugin\Parts\FuelTank\RVUranium:

PART
{
name = HexCanUraniumFl6SM
module = Part
author = Vaporlynx & Fractal

MODEL
{
model = WarpPlugin/Parts/FuelTank/RVUranium/model
rotation = 270,90,180
scale = 1,1,1
}
rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = start
entryCost = 0
cost = 200
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = Small Uranium Tetraflouride (UF4) Tank
manufacturer = Geomax Plc.
description = A small resource cannister containing a supply of Uranium Tetraflouride

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 6
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2900

RESOURCE
{
name = UF4
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}
RESOURCE
{
name = DepletedFuel
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 100
}
}

Neither of these is true. They've released a hotfix already that fixes the compatibility, and asteroids appear just fine in already started games.

Would you mind pointing me that hotfix? Is it an official one or?

Very official one, as steam downloaded it to me last night after my game crashed and was about to restart. If your version is from Squads store, then you should be able to get the hotfix from their patcher/launcher.

Yes, you were right.

To everyone wondering:

You don't need to fix your old saves to include asteroids. SQUAD has already implemented it by default. Just load your old save as usual and all the new features will appear. Not sure about the grapple.

Very official one, as steam downloaded it to me last night after my game crashed and was about to restart. If your version is from Squads store, then you should be able to get the hotfix from their patcher/launcher.

The update you received from steam was the A.R.M update for KSP, he is talking about an update from fractalUK for the Interstellar mod.

For the grapple to show in the tree the config must be changed, it is somewhere in these last two pages. So I am waiting for an official update from Fractal.

Edited by Woodstar

No, no, I was talking about the hotfixes for the ARM update 0.23.5. The thing with the grapple is clear, but so far I think Interstellar works. Following Wave's advice I started it up in 0.23.5 with the old save and updated mods and everything seems to be in order.

No, no, I was talking about the hotfixes for the ARM update 0.23.5. The thing with the grapple is clear, but so far I think Interstellar works. Following Wave's advice I started it up in 0.23.5 with the old save and updated mods and everything seems to be in order.

Oh ok good deal. My problem is the smaller plasma engine not working right among the other things ( I think wave posted a fix for it with some other stuff), just Don't want to go through all the mess.

Oh ok good deal. My problem is the smaller plasma engine not working right among the other things ( I think wave posted a fix for it with some other stuff), just Don't want to go through all the mess.

Put this in your augmented arcjet folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dko0wf7vvaq2p1j/part0.cfg

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Love the work you're doing on the mod - I'll give this a try tonight.

Would you be interested in adding a small UF4 tank I put together? I was having a hard time building an SSTO to service my orbiting power plants with the full tank so I built one 1/8th the size. Dry mass is only 1/3 the size of the large one so the larges are still more efficient. It's just a .cfg file that goes in WarpPlugin\Parts\FuelTank\RVUranium:

PART
{
name = HexCanUraniumFl6SM
module = Part
author = Vaporlynx & Fractal

MODEL
{
model = WarpPlugin/Parts/FuelTank/RVUranium/model
rotation = 270,90,180
scale = 1,1,1
}
rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = start
entryCost = 0
cost = 200
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = Small Uranium Tetraflouride (UF4) Tank
manufacturer = Geomax Plc.
description = A small resource cannister containing a supply of Uranium Tetraflouride

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 6
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2900

RESOURCE
{
name = UF4
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}
RESOURCE
{
name = DepletedFuel
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 100
}
}

I'll consider it. I am concerned about part bloat though. And a good part of the gameplay if figuring how to put the square peg into the round hole.

Try this. Download the kerbal space orbiter, and build it in the VAB. The building isn't very fun is it? Everything fits in it's place exactly, and in no other way. The mod is fantastic. I love the look of it, and flying it, but the building portion just isn't very interesting because there's very little creativity or problem solving involved, and that process is a huge part of what makes ksp interesting and fun.

@neo Nothing specific to KSPI, what I can use asteroids for is prety much KSP in general and mod neutral. Prety much you can use em as an intrestingly shaped core part for any space station design you want. Makeing an AMF around an asteroid isnt fundamentaly different than makeing any other station around an asteroid so I dont consider that a KSPI thing. Untill we can mine resorces from them or something asteroids are a KSP asthetic item if you make a base/ship around them.

I've fix the KSP Interstellar techtree to add the new node added in 0.23.5. You can get it HERE. Just replace the tree.cfg in your save directory with this one.

The only problem is that the Robotics node has become unparented from LargeProbes and I cant explain why. I'm going to ask r4m0n about it.

EDIT: Squad removed the LargeProbes node. I'll have to edit this some more to fix it...

EDIT2: Ok its corrected now. I removed the LargeProbes node to match Squads tree. You'll probably want to create a MM cfg like this one to account for any mods still using that node.

@PART[*]:HAS[#TechRequired=largeProbes]
{
@TechRequired = advUnmanned
}

Edited by Arrowmaster

I asked a couple pages back for people's favorite KSPI ships... only WaveFunctionP has shared so far!

Show us your favorite ships or the backbones of your fleets!

Favourite just now is my 970km Kerbin orbit Antimatter collector...

AMatx12x6-KOrbit.jpg

It took several generations to circumvent some Infernal Robotics problems and Interstellar quirks, but I got there. Each 6 arm section, the above shows two sections, weighs in at over 325t housing 72 collectors and a large tank.

Single, 4.7kt, 793 parts, launch to orbit of course ;) Shown here with half of the cargo bays open...

AMatx12x6-lp.jpg

If you are in any doubt, yes, that is a BIG rocket!

With an earlier version I sent the arms up in batches of three and had great fun watching MechJeb performing simultaneous docking operations, sadly Antimatter doesn't cross docking ports unless the vessel is focused. Still, this monster makes me smile :)

Why didn't I go for beamed power? Antimatter took priority and I need some more science before I reach that node.

Edited by ecat

Since I'm waiting for all my mods to get officially updated/verified as 0.23.5 compliant before trying to play again, here's a bit of KSPI theorycrafting...

Big asteroid on collision course with Kerbin. You're effectively sandbox in tech. How do you prevent collision, and what do you do with the (potential) impactor?

My first thought is the Alcubierre warp drive. Launch a ship (probably orbital-construction) composed of some form of docking mechanism (multiple KAS grapples?) a large fusion reactor/generator set (possibly multiples, and possibly a microwave receiver set as well), a warp drive, and a big plasma thruster. Intercept the impactor far enough out that you can get docked, change the orbit of the impactor with the warp drive, and use the quantum plasma thruster to tweak the velocity so you can (eventually) put it in an orbit of some other body... (Mun would be my first choice... but not a whole lot of room for error.).

After orbital placement, mine that sucker for whatever you can get. Hm... that brings up the question of what happens with the Extraplanetary Launchpads recycling bin and asteroids. To the ExPL Thread!

Looks like someone already had that thought. The changelog for ExPL specifically states that they will not recycle asteroids. I had to be cluebatted with the changelog. :blush:

Edited by VaporTrail

@neo Nothing specific to KSPI, what I can use asteroids for is prety much KSP in general and mod neutral. Prety much you can use em as an intrestingly shaped core part for any space station design you want. Makeing an AMF around an asteroid isnt fundamentaly different than makeing any other station around an asteroid so I dont consider that a KSPI thing. Untill we can mine resorces from them or something asteroids are a KSP asthetic item if you make a base/ship around them.

Looking at asteroid mining is something I plan to do when I have a bit of spare time, I'm sure it can't be that hard to put something together!

I was hoping I'd be roll out the current update this evening, unfortunately the new tech node with the grabber is going to be a pain to incorporate neatly. I'd far rather keep the new node than shift the grabber out of it to fit the existing tree. I guess I'll start looking for a good solution!

Actually had a thought about that, but it involved the Extraplanetary Launchpads mining/recycling functionality. Basically code that "removes" fractional tons of "ore" (updating the mass of the 'roid) via a method similar to the "recycling" or "mining" funcitonality already present.

Going to detail my idea in that thread for that modder to consider using.

Neat fractal. I'll already be doing some mining on asteroids with extra planetary launchpads (confirmed the author is working on it) but I cant wait to see what you do with it. It would be nice to be able to keep some mining operations in orbit instead of haveing to come up with a way to shuttle the resorces up from a planet even if you have to check out quite a few rocks to find a good one.

Looking at asteroid mining is something I plan to do when I have a bit of spare time, I'm sure it can't be that hard to put something together!

I was hoping I'd be roll out the current update this evening, unfortunately the new tech node with the grabber is going to be a pain to incorporate neatly. I'd far rather keep the new node than shift the grabber out of it to fit the existing tree. I guess I'll start looking for a good solution!

I can start work on a prototype with you if you'd like. Maybe something like assigning a random resource to the asteroid when tested with with the sensors. Icy asteroids, some maybe rich in certain resources like lithium, he-3, thorium, ammonia, ect. But you'd have to send a probe to find out. And if it's something you want, you then send out a mission to grab it and extract and/or capture. Even eventually remove those resources from the VAB containers. Maybe modify the grabber to use as an extractor until we get art for a model?

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Favourite just now is my 970km Kerbin orbit Antimatter collector...

It took several generations to circumvent some Infernal Robotics problems and Interstellar quirks, but I got there. Each 6 arm section, the above shows two sections, weighs in at over 325t housing 72 collectors and a large tank.

Single, 4.7Mt, 793 parts, launch to orbit of course ;) Shown here with half of the cargo bays open...

If you are in any doubt, yes, that is a BIG rocket!

With an earlier version I sent the arms up in batches of three and had great fun watching MechJeb performing simultaneous docking operations, sadly Antimatter doesn't cross docking ports unless the vessel is focused. Still, this monster makes me smile :)

Why didn't I go for beamed power? Antimatter took priority and I need some more science before I reach that node.

Ok.. that thing is just nuts... and why I prefer my Jool station. SOOO much faster/easier. The best part... can warp back and forth at minimum speed at 5-10 hours each way. Of course it takes around 24-72 hours to link up with the Jool station once you hit the Jool SOI. Still.. every two months a 4 day max trip to bring back 1mil AM.

~Steve

Since I'm waiting for all my mods to get officially updated/verified as 0.23.5 compliant before trying to play again, here's a bit of KSPI theorycrafting...

Big asteroid on collision course with Kerbin. You're effectively sandbox in tech. How do you prevent collision, and what do you do with the (potential) impactor?

My first thought is the Alcubierre warp drive. Launch a ship (probably orbital-construction) composed of some form of docking mechanism (multiple KAS grapples?) a large fusion reactor/generator set (possibly multiples, and possibly a microwave receiver set as well), a warp drive, and a big plasma thruster. Intercept the impactor far enough out that you can get docked, change the orbit of the impactor with the warp drive, and use the quantum plasma thruster to tweak the velocity so you can (eventually) put it in an orbit of some other body... (Mun would be my first choice... but not a whole lot of room for error.).

After orbital placement, mine that sucker for whatever you can get. Hm... that brings up the question of what happens with the Extraplanetary Launchpads recycling bin and asteroids. To the ExPL Thread!

Looks like someone already had that thought. The changelog for ExPL specifically states that they will not recycle asteroids. I had to be cluebatted with the changelog. :blush:

Well, if your goal is just to get rid of it... sidle up to it, strap on a tank of antimatter, retreat to a safe distance. If you want to pop it into an orbit, however, then your best bet is to snag an asteroid that's alongside Kerbin's orbit but further out/in. That way you'll have enough difference between Kerbin's velocity and your own that there will be an altitude where you can just warp in and click into an orbit. From there, like you said, QVP thrusters are probably your best bet to shift the asteroid - although you'll need quite a few of them or a really long time to move something like a class-E rock. I think you might be better served strapping on something high-DV but also reasonably thrusty, like a Vista or two.

Ok.. that thing is just nuts... and why I prefer my Jool station. SOOO much faster/easier. The best part... can warp back and forth at minimum speed at 5-10 hours each way. Of course it takes around 24-72 hours to link up with the Jool station once you hit the Jool SOI. Still.. every two months a 4 day max trip to bring back 1mil AM.

~Steve

Sounds great, unfortunately I don't even have a probe at Jool yet never mind an antimatter station and warp drive technology. The idea was to start collecting the magic particles while all the other exploration was in progress. Basically... Image goes wibbly wobbly signifying the reverse passage of time...

The research proposal document contained a type-o: Antimatter had been written as 'doesn't matter'. Luckily, one of the Kerbal boffins, known amongst the kerbalnauts as koffins, spotted the error moments before the report was to be presented. Hurrying the correction they performed a global search and replace transforming all occurrences of the phrase 'doesn't matter' to 'antimatter'. Good enough they thought.

The report was presented and antimatter appeared on every page in every proposal. 'Gosh', they thought, 'this must be very important' and the antimatter research was pushed through at the highest priority possible.

When word of this reached the kerbalnauts there was great discussion over so many resources being focused on a single project. Jeb stood up and cleared his throat. 'This antimatter stuff. Does it go BOOM?' he asked. 'Boom?' replied the head koffin, 'it will make the biggest and loudest boom any of us can ever imagine'.

...Image goes wobbly wibbly signifying the forward passage of time... And that is why my Kerbals started antimatter research before the first probe reached Duna never mind Jool.

;)

The tree is a minimal thing. I shoehorned the klaw in. Getting everything else working would be nice. Is there a reason the tech tree mod used has to be so unfriendly?

I've fix the KSP Interstellar techtree to add the new node added in 0.23.5. You can get it HERE. Just replace the tree.cfg in your save directory with this one.

The only problem is that the Robotics node has become unparented from LargeProbes and I cant explain why. I'm going to ask r4m0n about it.

EDIT: Squad removed the LargeProbes node. I'll have to edit this some more to fix it...

EDIT2: Ok its corrected now. I removed the LargeProbes node to match Squads tree. You'll probably want to create a MM cfg like this one to account for any mods still using that node.

@PART[*]:HAS[#TechRequired=largeProbes]
{
@TechRequired = advUnmanned
}

Nice, thanks for uploading this!

I can start work on a prototype with you if you'd like. Maybe something like assigning a random resource to the asteroid when tested with with the sensors. Icy asteroids, some maybe rich in certain resources like lithium, he-3, thorium, ammonia, ect. But you'd have to send a probe to find out. And if it's something you want, you then send out a mission to grab it and extract and/or capture. Even eventually remove those resources from the VAB containers. Maybe modify the grabber to use as an extractor until we get art for a model?

Have you thought about making asteroids spawn elsewhere in the solar system, to make this hopefully soon to be feature available outside Kerbins round about orbit :)