[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I'd like to emphasize that, while it has much greater impact to users of RT2, it IS a KSPI problem that the scientific value is determined at the time of impact based on the number of impacts.

Actually, Fractal_UK wrote:

I might alter the rate of decrease based on the value of the first experiment, that way you would need to conduct more experiments in order to make up for having a poor network on your initial experiments but the total science available wouldn't change much.

Under the current impactor experiment mechanics this is not true yet. The rate of decrease is not dependent on the value of the first experiment, and it is not possible to recover the lost science however many times one do more experiments later on. I suppose the mechanics I proposed is something similar to what Fractal_UK had in mind, based on his posting. The proposed mechanics has some advantages over the current one, because it is more logical that new scientific gain is dependent on how much scientific advance has been already made, not on how many times some experiments were performed. And this is not relevant to RT2 at all.

Alleviation of the RT2 problem (I say again, 'alleviation', not 'solution'; I am not asking Fractal_UK to fix an RT2 problem) is almost a side effect. I wish the discussion be focused on how things can be improved, not on which mod or user is to blame.

Hello, I've encountered a problem with my ship. I was returning from Jool and got myself into a kerbin escape and was slowing down, so I paused and ditched some of fuel tanks that were on the side. I quick-saved and then continued burning when the game froze and when it unfroze, I was left with Nan for deuterium and tritium, I tried re-loading and nothing changed. On a side note, my velocity was reduced to 0.1m/s but is slightly different in the picture because i tried thrusting away with my rcs :Dscreenshot6_zps640a945f.png

Edited by epicsockzebra

Which all just makes me even more confused as to why people are even using RT2 anymore. O.o

If it's broken, don't use it. Or don't update. But they should be mutually exclusive.

RT2 is currently broken, but there is a community fix for RT2. With the fix the only practical problem is that RT2 does not work in the tracking station. I don't see how this can justify that RT2 and KSPI are mutually exclusive.

I wasn't saying the mods are mutually exclusive. I said the choice between either not using a broken mod, or updating to the latest version of KSP, should be mutually exclusive choices. If mods that you're using are broken in the current version, don't update. Problem solved.

I wasn't saying the mods are mutually exclusive. I said the choice between either not using a broken mod, or updating to the latest version of KSP, should be mutually exclusive choices. If mods that you're using are broken in the current version, don't update. Problem solved.

OK. I think I misunderstood you. But in that case you made two mistakes instead of one.

1. RT2 is, as I said, working fine with a community fix. (It is more of a simple recompilation against the new KSP dll, rather than a fix as far as I understand, but irrelavant to this thread) I updated KSP, and I use RT2 without any significant trouble. Your 'mutual exclusivity' is not real.

2. This thread is about KSPI, right? Even if the mutual exclusivity is assumed to be real, that would be a strictly RT2 thing, not a KSPI thing. There is no reason to blame RT2 or RT2 users in KSPI thread.

Please focus on KSPI and possible improvements for it. Blaming is not healthy.

EDIT: minor grammatical errors

Edited by singlet

I've expanded the Solar Sail section of the wiki a little, since people still seem a little confused (and they are rather confusing). This is my first change, so if it's not correctly formatted then feel free to dump it.

Hi all. I Would like to know if it is possible to transmitt thermal power with a transmitter attached directly on a fission reactor (no generator) and collect it with an inline receiver to power a thermal rocket. I placed a fission reactor on a rover just near the launchpad, but no power comes from it.

Hi all. I Would like to know if it is possible to transmitt thermal power with a transmitter attached directly on a fission reactor (no generator) and collect it with an inline receiver to power a thermal rocket. I placed a fission reactor on a rover just near the launchpad, but no power comes from it.

Microwave transmitters transmit megajoules. The inline thermal receivers convert received megajoules to thermal power. You'll need a generator to convert the reactor's thermal power to megajoules in order to transmit power to the inline thermal receiver.

Is there a way for me to make specific resources in Interstellar, none accessible in the VAH. Atm I'm thinking about starting to mine resources, but the fact that I can just get it in the VAH is very offputting. I'd like to modify it so that only a few (or maybe none, haven't concluded that yet) are accessible there, forcing me to go looking for the others.

Is there a way for me to make specific resources in Interstellar, none accessible in the VAH. Atm I'm thinking about starting to mine resources, but the fact that I can just get it in the VAH is very offputting. I'd like to modify it so that only a few (or maybe none, haven't concluded that yet) are accessible there, forcing me to go looking for the others.

The rare resources are already not available in the VAB, the only resource I can think of that could really be more restricted is Tritium but that undergoes radioactive decay into Helium-3, so you'll need to carry supplies of Lithium to breed more Tritium already. The things that are available in the VAB are designed to be things that should be available on Kerbin.

You could very easily just change the amount fields in the part config files. You could also use Ship Manifest to dump resources while you're still on the pad, or TAC Fuel Balancer to dump resources wherever the ship is.

Is there a way to load more than one tree? i have many mods (and it takes along time to boot because of it) and id like to have all trees in, is there a way?

No. They are mutually exclusive (tree files define the entire tree and all its nodes; you can see this clearly with the KSPI tree file and how it has to define all the stock nodes as well as its new ones). A better bet is to use a single tree that's been designed with many mods in mind. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58135-TechTree-0-23-5-Milestone19a-Realistic-Progression-LITE

Edited by phoenix_ca

Well, that was a ridiculous noob mistake on my part. I added the brace, and now it's working, generating ThermalPower but no appreciable WasteHeat. I guess I'll fiddle with it now, and thanks for your patience with my amateurish questions!

1st rule of coding: you will always forget at least one }

No. They are mutually exclusive (tree files definite the entire tree and all its nodes; you can see this clearly with the KSPI tree file and how it has to define all the stock nodes as well as its new ones). A better bet is to use a single tree that's been designed with many mods in mind. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58135-TechTree-0-23-5-Milestone19a-Realistic-Progression-LITE

Most mods don't actually need trees anyway. Most mods simply define their position on the stock tree, in which case, TreeLoader will put them in the right node on the Interstellar tree as well.

Most mods don't actually need trees anyway. Most mods simply define their position on the stock tree, in which case, TreeLoader will put them in the right node on the Interstellar tree as well.

Yes, but keyword there being most. Not all. KSPI does it, other mods might, or might in future. Hence why I suggest using a tree made for them all. Especially since qwazwak's stated goal was to "load more than one tree".

Edited by phoenix_ca

Hi!

I'm unable to receive science from IR-Telescope.

I've read IR-Telescope wiki, and trying to do "Mission 1: Deep Field Survey".

Attached Telescope at the top of two "Helium Cryostat" - direct attach. Added some electricity and get it to 700 km round Kerbin orbit. Then pushed button "Deep Field survey" and nothink happens.

Telescope shows 100% efficiency and 0.50 science/day. But science not comes :-(

The rare resources are already not available in the VAB, the only resource I can think of that could really be more restricted is Tritium but that undergoes radioactive decay into Helium-3, so you'll need to carry supplies of Lithium to breed more Tritium already. The things that are available in the VAB are designed to be things that should be available on Kerbin.

I am fully aware, but for the added challenge I'd like to have to mine all of it, like Uranium, Thorium, and so on, as it would make setting up bases worthwhile. I'm not saying the mod should change, not at all, I just asked if there was a way for me to add that challenge for myself, beyond the slightly immersion breaking "I just won't use it" :)

I am fully aware, but for the added challenge I'd like to have to mine all of it, like Uranium, Thorium, and so on, as it would make setting up bases worthwhile. I'm not saying the mod should change, not at all, I just asked if there was a way for me to add that challenge for myself, beyond the slightly immersion breaking "I just won't use it" :)

I gave you the answer in my previous post. Change the amount field in the part configs. O.o

@Fractal: Any chance we could get the option in the VAB/SPH to select whether or not upgrades are applied to the various parts? There are times when I may not want to use a fission reactor with an upgraded core, for instance (lifetime over power output). Additionally, are there any plans to make the radiators glow when hot, as the radiators from Near Future Propulsion do? Current KSPI radiators seem to have a small emissive on the orange parts of the texture so they show up even on the dark side, but this does not change intensity depending on radiator temperature.

@WaveFunctionP:

I still seem to have a problem with fusion power plants and power transmission:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As you can see in the first image, current supply doesn't reach the theoretical supply and I have a net power loss @96% usage.

I have to tweak down the transmitter to ~86% to keep the power plant alive (2nd image).

I'm addressing this to you since I'm using your experimental branch (directly compiled from git), but as far as I know your automatic throttling doesn't come into play at all.

A feature request: Do you think it's possible to add a "Available network power" info to the management display? With your automatic throttle it's hard to determine what my theoretical peak power is.

My apologies! :o Does this prevent tweakibility as well?

It shouldn't. Play with it and see.

Current KSPI radiators seem to have a small emissive on the orange parts of the texture so they show up even on the dark side, but this does not change intensity depending on radiator temperature.

Should it? I mean...I wouldn't be totally against such a thing but...radiators used in space don't emit photons in the visible spectrum. At least, none that I know of. They don't actually...glow. http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/473486main_iss_atcs_overview.pdf

Edited by phoenix_ca