[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Fusion likes to be buggy

Fusion is buggy, period.

Even with a 3000Mw fission reactor powering the "sparkplug", my fusion designs still oddcasionally beach about not enough power to guarantee fusion.

This usually happens when:

1) Activating a microwave power transmitter. No matter what % I have the microwave at.

2) When entering time warp.

3) When switching ships, but still within physics range

4) When looking at it funny.

Fusion is a 100% fukcup.

ha?too many? so it now hurts having more radiator?

OMG... i took me ages to dock those....

in the thermal helper it says my raidiators are at 170GW

Radiators aren't a problem. It your reactor and container separated by a docking ring? That may be the issue.

Radiators aren't a problem. It your reactor and container separated by a docking ring? That may be the issue.

OMG... so now the whole thing is unfixable...

o...that's about a hour of playtime....

Well I flew the Moho mission again. Good thing I sent the white suit to the surface instead of Bill, because guess who died of air toxicity floating over Moho, while attached to a fully functional fusion reactor? At least this one won't show up on the "missing in action" list. Before decoupling the ascent stage I plucked the solar panels off and put them on the main ship, just as a little insurance against TAC. But I'm scared because I have to leave the ship in orbit around Moho to do other things until the window opens up, and I'm worried next time I go to it I'll get word again that another kerbal died. Just to be sure I have the DT Vista completely shutdown, the reactor on and making tritium, and the ship oriented N/S so as long as its on the sun side it will get light to a panel. All I can do now is hope this is enough to keep these glitches away. :(

My other DT Vista vessel coming from Dres is doing fine, because it has solar panels attached to it. Same for the one coming back from Eve.

One thing I'm wondering is if I made a mistake by using DT cryostats instead of the hex cans. How much of a reactor's daily output of tritium do I lose to boil off?

I'm also wondering how exactly deuterium and tritium flow around a ship. Do they depend on proper cross feed connections like LFO, or are they accessible everywhere as long as its attached to the ship like xenon and monopropellant? I have my cryostats on the other end of this big truss, not attached to the generator directly. It seems like they receive bred tritium, but do not pump-back tritium to be used for the reactor. Should I connect fuel lines between these cryostats and the reactor?

Edited by Scootaloo

So, apparently using the extractor can cause thermal nozzles to output uneven thrust.

http://www.twitch.tv/wavefunctionp/b/547050894?t=2h6m

Sorry for bad mic, noise gate was cutting my off for some reason.

:)

What happens is that when your using power from reactors the plugin will take power from 1 reactor until it is at 100% then move to the next one in line. So if your running thermal rockets and using alot of power you will have uneven thrust. I know we had this same problem with thermal turbojets until Fractal_UK fixed it so that all the engines will balance out.

can anyone tell me why my antimatter reactor doesnt start?

http://i.imgur.com/v5bfiFH.png

Antimatter will not travel past docking ports. Add an AM tank to the reactor section and transfer AM to the reactor side of the ports.

P.S.

If your going to leave that in Kerbins SOI you only need a 1.25m reactor with so few collectors.

For some reason my Science lab and my IR telescopes don't work. Although the interface says that they generate science, I am getting zero science when I switch to the vehicle and my science rating doesn't increase. I tried warping for a few dozens of days and still nothing.

oxKuuuO.png

Antimatter will not travel past docking ports. Add an AM tank to the reactor section and transfer AM to the reactor side of the ports.

P.S.

If your going to leave that in Kerbins SOI you only need a 1.25m reactor with so few collectors.

A 1.25 eats 26 grams a day at peak usage. One collector in Jool orbit makes 0.6 per day. Kerbin yields a tenth of that or less. I forget. You need a lot of collectors to break even with a 1.25 at full tilt.

To all people having trouble with AM and docking ports: you might want to edit WarpPlugin > Parts > Resources > ResourcesNuclear.cfg and make sure the antimatter bit looks like this:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = Antimatter

density = 0.000000001

flowMode = ALL_VESSEL

transfer = PUMP

}

This will allow the AM to flow freely across your ship whether you have collectors and reactor separated by docking port or not.

:)

What happens is that when your using power from reactors the plugin will take power from 1 reactor until it is at 100% then move to the next one in line. So if your running thermal rockets and using alot of power you will have uneven thrust. I know we had this same problem with thermal turbojets until Fractal_UK fixed it so that all the engines will balance out.

Oh, I know why it would happen, it is just that it shouldn't happen. My 3 Vista engines pull a heck of a lot more power than that extraction process and do not cause uneven thrust. I can cycle them at will.

A 1.25 eats 26 grams a day at peak usage. One collector in Jool orbit makes 0.6 per day. Kerbin yields a tenth of that or less. I forget. You need a lot of collectors to break even with a 1.25 at full tilt.

I know all about the rates and the bugs associated with the collectors and reactors producing more power then your actually collecting.

I'm loving this station... took me weeks to get inspired into a design. It's the perfect place to fully resupply my 'tugs' between missions.

screenshot142.png

~Steve

...0.24 needs to hurry up. Getting the very last drop of science in the Kerbolar system tomorrow

After the last updata can not load KSP it stops on WarpPlugin/Spaces/Sci/Model so will it be the Ram on my PC or is it just need to Downdata KSP and wait for the updata on this

Just turn your graphics settings down and/or use the active texture management mod.

After the last updata can not load KSP it stops on WarpPlugin/Spaces/Sci/Model so will it be the Ram on my PC or is it just need to Downdata KSP and wait for the updata on this

#1 culprit of this happening is hitting the 4gb memory limit inherent with 32bit systems / applications / games. Just manage your load better. Remove mods, lower settings, use a memory manager mod, etc..

~Steve

EDIT:

0.24 is bringing 64bit version! WOOT!

Any word on whether or not 0.24 will work with the current version of this mod or not? I'm not sure if the costs for the parts is properly balanced for a career mode where they actually matter.

Any word on whether or not 0.24 will work with the current version of this mod or not? I'm not sure if the costs for the parts is properly balanced for a career mode where they actually matter.

Let me pull out my copy of 0.24 and ... oh wait. It's not out yet. Modders don't have access to it.

Can you change the direction that the spacecraft travels while the warp drive is active?

No. Also, quicksaving while warping - if you re-load it thinks that your real-space velocity is the warp 'velocity'

I mainly got this mod for the in-situ resources because I wanted to do a Europa Report-style mission to Vall, but this time extracting water for propellant from the ice. Ironically, I've been having a ball with the fusion reactors and awesome engines and everything else (best models ever, fit right in with the game), but I can't seem to figure out how to mine any resources without attaching a 3-meter 2-ton refinery building to the top of my lander so it looks like a ping pong paddle. Am I missing something? Surely you don't need something that big just to melt ice on Vall.

I mainly got this mod for the in-situ resources because I wanted to do a Europa Report-style mission to Vall, but this time extracting water for propellant from the ice. Ironically, I've been having a ball with the fusion reactors and awesome engines and everything else (best models ever, fit right in with the game), but I can't seem to figure out how to mine any resources without attaching a 3-meter 2-ton refinery building to the top of my lander so it looks like a ping pong paddle. Am I missing something? Surely you don't need something that big just to melt ice on Vall.

The release from WaveFunction has an inline 3.75 meter refinery (i.e it attaches normally like any fuel tank) https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar

if you just want that one part https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/tree/master/GameData/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/LargeRefinery

Also for the non-mining 2.5 meter inline refinery (https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/tree/master/GameData/WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/InlineRefinery I think that this is in the main release too) you can just copy and paste the mining modules from the large refineries. I did this, I just made each mining process less efficient (more megajoules per unit) and slower than the larger version.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the cfg edit with lowered efficiency like you said. It just seemed a bit odd to me that the only resource extractors in the whole mod are gigantic. Sure, I understand that mining for uranium or thorium is gonna need a big facility, but I don't see how you'd need that for collecting water or sifting regolith for aluminum or making methaLOx from CO2 (Robert Zubrin's Mars Direct mission plan involves that last one being done by a relatively small box aboard a slightly less-small Earth-return vehicle).

I'm always wary of doing cfg edits because I lose the transferability of my designs among other mod users, but I may make an exception in this case.