[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Yeah, that's not right at all. So, you could try reinstalling the mod and see if that helps, sometimes things unexpectedly happen that can be fixed by a reinstall. No idea why but it does occasionally happen.

Other thing to check is, are you running windows 8 and have KSP installed in the program files directly? If so, that can cause permission problems for files both with mods and in the stock game in which case you'll need to either correct those permission problems or move KSP elsewhere.

Win7 64 Ultimate. Will try a reinstall and see what happens.

Its not a major issue, just still trying to get to Eve, kinda new to interplanetary stuff.

It died in Kerbin orbit which is very easy to achieve, so termination is fine. :)

Thanks though, I do wish to know which variable makes it upgraded in the craft file though if thats okay so that I can just manualy send it over in the mean time.

It's actually a little more complicated than just changing a variable, the upgraded state is actually already set properly, the part that is missing is the VacuumPlasma resource.

RESOURCE
{
name = VacuumPlasma
amount = 10
maxAmount = 10
flowState = True
flowMode = Both
}

This needs to be added to the end of the PART definition, just below the final module.

Just tested after reinstalling, no change in behavior. Oh well, in the meantime I'll just stick with the nuke-sat version in preparation for science lab deployment(s). Still, love this mod so far. I can't wait for B9 to get their bugs worked out, I'm looking forward to seeing how they fit together (they look like a perfect style fit for each other, imo).

Version 0.7.1 Released

Changelog:

Version 0.7.1
-Added new KIWI nuclear reactor model by ZZZ
-1.25m Plasma Thruster has maximum 25GW power throughput and reduced mass to 1. 2.5m Plasma Thruster has maximum 200GW power throughput, mass remains 6.
-Rewrote Atmospheric Intakes/Scoops
-Atmospheric Scoop no longer requires attached intake
-Fixed Hybrid Thermal Turbojet auto-upgrade
-Fixed Plasma Thruster auto-upgrade
-Fixed UF6/DUF6 draw/supply to make them even
-Fixed Science lab persistent science
-Fixed exception in PartLoader
-Fixed generator consuming all waste heat when reactor inactive
-Improved resource manager performance at high time acceleration

Download links in the first post have been updated.

Version 0.7.1 Released

Changelog:

Version 0.7.1
-Added new KIWI nuclear reactor model by ZZZ
-1.25m Plasma Thruster has maximum 25GW power throughput and reduced mass to 1. 2.5m Plasma Thruster has maximum 200GW power throughput, mass remains 6.
-Rewrote Atmospheric Intakes/Scoops
-Atmospheric Scoop no longer requires attached intake
-Fixed Hybrid Thermal Turbojet auto-upgrade
-Fixed Plasma Thruster auto-upgrade
-Fixed UF6/DUF6 draw/supply to make them even
-Fixed Science lab persistent science
-Fixed exception in PartLoader
-Fixed generator consuming all waste heat when reactor inactive
-Improved resource manager performance at high time acceleration

Download links in the first post have been updated.

Thanks Fractal; I swear my levels of excitement approach that of when the stock game is updated whenever I see that you've released a new update. This mod is fantastic.

Well, i'm not having much luck with interstellar mod and ksp in general.

When i finally managed to launch my AntiMatter collector ship to orbit, it's AM tank run out of power and wouldn't take it from on board nuclear reactor, actually, whole ship run out of power. So, i send a tug to assist that also had 1.25m reactor/generator in it as it uses IonHybrid engines (900 isp...) from 'some' pack (bad memory) that require lot's of electricity. After docking, even it wouldn't charge the am tank...ugh.

I also tried to play with the thermal jet, and it just flame outs, either thermal power or intakeAtm and it has 2 scoops (plane, that is). It also had some normal jet engines for support. And after some testing, reactor would shut down because of wasteheat, so they need a radiator as well? I am about to test if but game crashed, oh well, had chance to whine here... :cool:

Well, i'm not having much luck with interstellar mod and ksp in general.

When i finally managed to launch my AntiMatter collector ship to orbit, it's AM tank run out of power and wouldn't take it from on board nuclear reactor, actually, whole ship run out of power. So, i send a tug to assist that also had 1.25m reactor/generator in it as it uses IonHybrid engines (900 isp...) from 'some' pack (bad memory) that require lot's of electricity. After docking, even it wouldn't charge the am tank...ugh.

I also tried to play with the thermal jet, and it just flame outs, either thermal power or intakeAtm and it has 2 scoops (plane, that is). It also had some normal jet engines for support. And after some testing, reactor would shut down because of wasteheat, so they need a radiator as well? I am about to test if but game crashed, oh well, had chance to whine here... :cool:

You need radiators or the generator will shut off immediately but the reactor will remain on, it is capped at a minimum 30 % output so it will keep on generating heat up until it too turns itself off due to overheating. That is probably why your ships have no power and you're getting flameouts with the thermal jets.

Also, the antimatter tanks don't need any power until they actually have a bit of antimatter in, once you collect it they will draw power again.

You need radiators or the generator will shut off immediately but the reactor will remain on, it is capped at a minimum 30 % output so it will keep on generating heat up until it too turns itself off due to overheating. That is probably why your ships have no power and you're getting flameouts with the thermal jets.

Also, the antimatter tanks don't need any power until they actually have a bit of antimatter in, once you collect it they will draw power again.

But that's the problem, nothing gets collected, even at lover altitude the ship currently is, no AM is moving around. Or does the collectors need direct contact to tank?

My only complaint about this update, it made me have to think to hard about using a kiwi where the antimater reactor would have been better, simply because the new kiwi looks so amazing. :|

Any chance the AI core could get an art pass?

Or the rest of the nukes?

I think those are the last items that need it.

But that's the problem, nothing gets collected, even at lover altitude the ship currently is, no AM is moving around. Or does the collectors need direct contact to tank?

It doesn't need a direct connection, it's like the liquid fuel/oxidiser in the stock game and needs to be connected in a stack of fuel crossfeed capable components. Antimatter collection also takes a long time, low Kerbin orbit is a really bad place for it too, it could take days to get even one unit. You need a moderate altitude, around 1,000,000m is good.

Was Kerbol's magnetic field altered? Getting a massive reduction in AM collection rate at 392.5km.

Sorry, yes, I forgot to include this in the changelog but the planetary magnetic fields were substantially altered, I discovered a huge bug in the way that antimatter and normal magnetic field data was calculated. I've included some factors to twiddle the amounts and bring them back to where I want them to be. The bug has revised many antimatter rates down, the small moons and Moho have been hit very hard though Jool should have improved and most of the other good large bodies: Eve, Tylo, Laythe etc shouldn't be too much different. Kerbin is unchanged.

How much are you getting at that altitude of Kerbol?

Sounds like the reactor did a SCRAM shutdown to avoid being damaged by Wasteheat, Fractal_UK implemented that feature in the new update. Make sure you've got enough radiators to dissipate the heat, then send out a kerbal to affect the reapirs on the reactor to restart it....

The shutdown feature was implemented IIRC to make sure your ship doesn't suffer a malfunction because nuclear reactors MUST run at a minimum of 30% power constantly. So not enough heat dissipation capacity means you may need a 4th section with more radiators in order to avoid a Reactor Meltdown.....

Ahhhh, many thanks. I didn't know it would do that. That's a lot easier to fix than flying up a new drive section.

Ahhhh, many thanks. I didn't know it would do that. That's a lot easier to fix than flying up a new drive section.

You will need a Kerbal to get out and EVA restart the reactor if this has happened, just fly the Kerbal over next to the reactor, right click on it and an option will appear to restart it. If you've added some radiators, you should then be good to go.

7.65E-004 @ 392.5km, time to warp around and fine the best spot :)

Hmm, this is still a good rate but I may just revise it back a touch higher next time. I need to experiment again after these changes.

will the parts still show up if im using the vettech tree? if not u should include some .cfgs so they used on stock tree.

Yes, the parts will still show up provided you have the latest treeloader installed.

If you use a different tech tree, you won't get some of the upgraded parts (no upgraded reactors, upgraded plasma thruster or hybrid thermal jets). Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing I can do about this at the moment, there are no suitable stock tech nodes to assign the upgrades to.

So far I am really enjoying this mod+career mode (all my heavy testing has been done in a sandbox game). Though I'm wondering, any chance of seeing some MJ-grade capacitors/batteries? Using standalone generators of course works currently, but it would be nice to have a lower-weight/smaller form-factor option for power storage.

So far I am really enjoying this mod+career mode (all my heavy testing has been done in a sandbox game). Though I'm wondering, any chance of seeing some MJ-grade capacitors/batteries? Using standalone generators of course works currently, but it would be nice to have a lower-weight/smaller form-factor option for power storage.

Unfortunately, batteries are big and heavy. I just did the maths on the 40kVA UPS we have in the server room here... It has about 10 minutes of autonomy at full load, which means that, ignoring the power factor and stuff like that to keep the maths simple, it can store about 40kW x (10min x 60) seconds = 24MJ of power. It weighs in at just under 0.7 tonnes, and takes up about 4m3 of space.

For comparison, 6 of the z-4k batteries will hold 24,000 charge (~=24MJ), weigh 1.2T and take up less than half that much space.

So, considering that the sample here is fragile batteries, that you can't safely tip over, let alone subject to acceleration stresses, I'd say that the slight increase in mass for stability and containment is reasonable, and that, if anything, KSP batteries are a little on the small side.

Essentially, this is the reason that large scale power protection involves a few minutes of battery to allow for a generator to cut in, rather than trying to provide emergency power just off the batteries. There's nothing to stop anyone doing a config edit to store thousands of MJ in something the size of a AAA, but anything more power-dense than the batteries in-game at the moment would definitely be based on wishful thinking rather than science. There are some promising looking possibilities in the nano-tech field, but, as anyone with a smart-phone or a laptop will tell you, real batteries just aren't very good, right now.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. The science labs generate science persistently now, without requiring you to focus on the ship/station with the labs, correct? Does that science just filter down to the R&D building, or do I need to occasionally head up to the station and hit transmit data on the antenna?

Edit: I think I figured it out. Love this mod, Fractual_UK. Love the new Kiwi model too, makes my 1.25m ships look a lot more sci-fi, and looks a lot better with B9 parts. Can we expect to maybe see the other reactors with this awesome new model, scaled up of course?

Edited by Yalin Hawk

Can we expect to maybe see the other reactors with this new model, scaled up of course?

I don't think it will looks good, I used small texture resolution on it expecting it will be small part. It's already a bit blurry and if you scale it up it will create too big texel density difference between parts.

Edited by zzz