[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

My Interstellar pack doesn't work. I have all the parts in my build menu, but when I try right-clicking on them, there are no command options. I can't even get stuff to work through hacking.

Could this be a compatibility issue? I am running an older version of KSP...

Does anyone know if there is a hard-coded thrust value on the Vista engine? I duplicated the folder for that part, (to make a kind of OP version) and changed the isp and thrust. The isp change worked, but as for the thrust, the new value (2100kn) shows up correctly in the editor, but when I go full throttle with it, it only shows 1100 kn of thrust.

Does anyone know if there is a hard-coded thrust value on the Vista engine? I duplicated the folder for that part, (to make a kind of OP version) and changed the isp and thrust. The isp change worked, but as for the thrust, the new value (2100kn) shows up correctly in the editor, but when I go full throttle with it, it only shows 1100 kn of thrust.

https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/blob/develop/FNPlugin/VistaEngineController.cs

it is hardcoded towards the end

Edited by ABZB

My Interstellar pack doesn't work. I have all the parts in my build menu, but when I try right-clicking on them, there are no command options. I can't even get stuff to work through hacking.

You'd need to tell us what version of KSP and what version of the mod your useing to give you any useful feedback. That said if you are useing any mod that says it is for a specific version of KSP and you dont actualy use it with that version of KSP expect some problems rangeing from minor glitches to Everything Explodes.

Can I find a .cfg or something for this and edit it or is it part of the plugin?

Part of the plugin, it seems. I think it is possible to, using the .dll of Interstellar as an include, to define a different module identical in every way to the vista, except with the higher thrust, and compile that into a separate dll

come to think of it, is there any particular reason for there not to be an upgraded version that can use a fusion reaction that doesn't spray neutrons everywhere?

Edited by ABZB

yes, each version is recompiled for the most recent version of KSP. if you aren't running .25, expect weirdness.

Part of the plugin, it seems. I think it is possible to, using the .dll of Interstellar as an include, to define a different module identical in every way to the vista, except with the higher thrust, and compile that into a separate dll

come to think of it, is there any particular reason for there not to be an upgraded version that can use a fusion reaction that doesn't spray neutrons everywhere?

the only problem with that is there isn't a fusion reaction that doesn't spray some kind of hazardous gunk about, either neutrons, gamma rays, or some other high energy junk. it's one of the primary ways we know about someone testing fission or fusion bombs (and the GPS network). the whole point of the Vista is that it's a Deuterium/Tritium inertially confined reaction in open space, which accelerates the "fuel" mass and ejects it. contain the reaction so you don't get messy gunk, and you can't eject the reaction mass.

So how would I go about doing that? Create a .dll file with the text from your link pasted in and change the max thrust?

the only problem with that is there isn't a fusion reaction that doesn't spray some kind of hazardous gunk about, either neutrons, gamma rays, or some other high energy junk. it's one of the primary ways we know about someone testing fission or fusion bombs (and the GPS network). the whole point of the Vista is that it's a Deuterium/Tritium inertially confined reaction in open space, which accelerates the "fuel" mass and ejects it. contain the reaction so you don't get messy gunk, and you can't eject the reaction mass.

Yes, however:

Alpha particles (He-4 nucleii) tend to be stopped by one's outer layer of dead skin cells (assuming an external source, of course).

Beta particles (electrons (and positrons (anti-electrons))) tend to penetrate at most 1cm or so (for 'usual' energy ranges). This is plausibly stopped by spacesuits or the capsule walls.

Gamma radiation is extremely penetrating, but will have a relatively small amount of damage per particle, from the energy losses as it is absorbed and re-emitted.

high-speed Neutrons are also extremely penetrating, and will ricochet significantly before being captured, causing more damage-per-particle.

My point is not that there are 'radiation-free' methods, rather that there are not-quite-as-deadly methods. For that matter, the engine itself (in RL, at least) will be slowly degraded by the neutron radiation (the materials of the engine itself capture the neutrons, eventually end up at unstable masses, decay...). In the long run, aneutronic methods are more cost-effective.

So how would I go about doing that? Create a .dll file with the text from your link pasted in and change the max thrust?

This is a matter of compiling a new .dll file from the source- are you familiar with programming in general, or the particular language? If not, there are tutorials on these forums on how to learn all of this stuff.

This is a matter of compiling a new .dll file from the source- are you familiar with programming in general, or the particular language? If not, there are tutorials on these forums on how to learn all of this stuff.

I'm not too familiar with programming overall, (Basically just .cfgs and some scripting in Skyrim) so I'd probably need some tutorials. Any recommendations?

Edited by Black Science Man

I would reccomend googling for:

C# beginners

or something like that. maybe even grab one of those tutorial books from a library, if you prefer. it's kind of like learning a new human language. try making little programs, get a feel for the language, for example, http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki has lots of tutorials on gameplay that tell you formulas for all kinds of stuff. try writing little programs that calculate that from command-line inputs.

Once you have a feel for the language, the mod sources will start to not look like gibberish....

if you want to just edit that one thing and try to compile, you really just need a program like microsoft visual studio or something

I seem to have an interesting 'problem.' Whenever I try and put an Antimatter can on a new vehicle... it pays me as if it's leaving the VAB full of AM and sells it between the VAB and the Launch Pad.

1.25m Can - 51 million

2.5m Can - 408 million

3.75m Can - 1,379 million

I'm hoping there's an easy fix for this? I'm not the first one to have this problem... am I?

Thanks in advance

~Steve

Hey guys, does anybody know what lines I should be adding to the seismometer dll to gain back the old functions without losing the impact experiment?

I'm sure I read it somewhere before but I lost it and can't seem to find it anymore :(

Hey guys, does anybody know what lines I should be adding to the seismometer dll to gain back the old functions without losing the impact experiment?

I'm sure I read it somewhere before but I lost it and can't seem to find it anymore :(

You need to remove the following line from the Science.cfg File in de Warpplugin folder:

!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]

That line removes the stock seismic experiment.

Good luck!

2 pages back.. heh!

~Steve

I seem to have an interesting 'problem.' Whenever I try and put an Antimatter can on a new vehicle... it pays me as if it's leaving the VAB full of AM and sells it between the VAB and the Launch Pad.

1.25m Can - 51 million

2.5m Can - 408 million

3.75m Can - 1,379 million

I'm hoping there's an easy fix for this? I'm not the first one to have this problem... am I?

Thanks in advance

~Steve

The costs for antimatter isn't being calculated properly. the cost of a container should assume it's full, but it doesn't, and antimatter is being forced empty. this results in negative costs (i.e. $800 for the full container - 1000 units @ 800 $ per unit = $-7,99200 funds to add it empty to a ship). it just needs to be recosted to account for the cost of the antimatter that isn't being added.

The costs for antimatter isn't being calculated properly. the cost of a container should assume it's full, but it doesn't, and antimatter is being forced empty. this results in negative costs (i.e. $800 for the full container - 1000 units @ 800 $ per unit = $-7,99200 funds to add it empty to a ship). it just needs to be recosted to account for the cost of the antimatter that isn't being added.

Brilliant and simple fix. just jack the price of each AM container to include the cost of the ghost AM. Good idea... can't believe I didn't think of it.

Cheers

~Steve

EDIT:

And I'm assuming the 1.25m Warp drive is 3x the cost of the 2.5m for... miniaturization reasons?

Edited by NeoAcario

Brilliant and simple fix. just jack the price of each AM container to include the cost of the ghost AM. Good idea... can't believe I didn't think of it.

Cheers

~Steve

EDIT:

And I'm assuming the 1.25m Warp drive is 3x the cost of the 2.5m for... miniaturization reasons?

Ok... so I don't think the problem is only with The AM Cans. I'm building a mobile power station. Launching it NETS me 44 million. Reclaiming it costs me 42 million... I still end up 2 million overall. What the heck is going on? This is a 3.5m fusion reactor rover. No antimatter anywhere on it.

screenshot9.png

I'm running KSPI unchanged... anyone have any ideas here?

~Steve

EDIT:

Damnit, it's the 2.5m Deuterium / Tritium Crystat. I guess it's doing the same thing with the Tritium that it does with the AM in the AM cans? It's 'refunding' me the empty resource value. Guess I need to adjust the price on this one also.

I suppose this is going to be the case with any resource canister that launches empty by default? What a pain in the ass.... but, completely worth it for this amazing Mod.

Edited by NeoAcario

This mod seems to break the tech tree loader.

When I select a node the correct amount of science is deducted but my tech tree does not expand to the next node. I have to leave the tech center and then come back in to see the next node in the tree. This is kind of tedious and confusing. Is there a fix forth coming because it's bugging me enough to just remove the warp mod until it is fixed.

This mod seems to break the tech tree loader.

When I select a node the correct amount of science is deducted but my tech tree does not expand to the next node. I have to leave the tech center and then come back in to see the next node in the tree. This is kind of tedious and confusing. Is there a fix forth coming because it's bugging me enough to just remove the warp mod until it is fixed.

The TreeLoader plugin included with the current download in the first post is broken in 0.25, and will not add the extra nodes default KSPI requires. It can be replaced with TechManager. For now you can just do this manually, Fractal will update the download in the first post as soon as he gets enough time (along with fixing a few other known issues with the current version).

~Steve

10chars