[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

This is still counter-productive. You get nothing from this upgrade, and still spend science on it, which can be used to upgrade reactors instead, which will have WAY better results.

This isn't entirely true. The same node that gives you upgraded radiators also gives you upgraded generators. Since actual generator efficiency is equal to

(1 - Radiator Temp / Reactor Temp) * Theoretical Generator Efficiency

you will still get double the electricity out of ship designs using the same number of radiators, due to the significantly higher theoretical generator efficiency. The upgraded radiators are also better for dissipating heat in situations where you don't need to use a generator, e.g. low-kerbol solar satellites, microwave receivers, and thermal rockets.

Edited by RadHazard

By self sufficient i assume you mean by grabbing more Deuterium from oceans? Is there an easy way to accomplish this besides using say a station and lifter craft? If that's not what you meant, or if there's another way to make these self sufficient i would be glad to hear it.

Deuterium and lithium from oceans.

This will require lifter (which can be really small because D/T tanks are very small and light) and only work in few places. Tis seems to be the only way, if you do not want to use oceans you can only carry lots of fuel if you want them to run for a long time...

This isn't entirely true. The same node that gives you upgraded radiators also gives you upgraded generators. Since actual generator efficiency is equal to

(1 - Radiator Temp / Reactor Temp) * Theoretical Generator Efficiency

you will still get double the electricity out of ship designs using the same number of radiators, due to the significantly higher theoretical generator efficiency. The upgraded radiators are also better for dissipating heat in situations where you don't need to use a generator, e.g. low-kerbol solar satellites, microwave receivers, and thermal rockets.

Yes, i thought about "a bit higher efficiency", problem here is that this power seem to be usable only for lab/refinery, still way too low for propulsion. And transmitters/receivers are not available at this point if i remember correctly. Anyway you should know exactly what for you are doing this (unlocking upgraded generators/reactors befor reactors) or you will just waste science and slow down your progress.

Edited by Lightwarrior

This will require lifter (which can be really small because D/T tanks are very small and light) and only work in few places. Tis seems to be the only way, if you do not want to use oceans you can only carry lots of fuel if you want them to run for a long time...

You can use atmospheric scoops to harvest Deuterium from Jool's atmosphere too.

By the way, I decided to add to ORS a replacement function designed to be used in place of KSP's standard part.requestResource() method. This function replaces the behaviour only for ALL_VESSEL resources and allows me to fix some annoying issues created by the 0.23 update, you can see when using this the Lithium breeding code works at normal speed:

pztct1z.jpg

My theory (I've yet to test it) is that HooliganLabs' Airships mod, possibly with KAS to lower the refinery to the ocean while the balloon keeps the platform above stationary. As far as KSP will be concerned, the ship would count as "splashed down", since part of it will be touching the water and the rest will be stationary.

Hi, i found another strange bug. When flying in atmosphere (regardless if Jool or Kerbin) after a while the ship "slides" out of view, and all docking ports magically disappear. This is fixed by timewarping once you get out of atmosphere, there the ship functions normally.

Another interesting thing is that I used 8 D/T fusion reactors, which should not be enough to power a Vista engine, yet I managed to get a 900km orbit (no, there are no AM collectors) - I realized this when I undocked the lifter stage in order to crash it back to planet, and it run out of megajoules after a few seconds. Also I apparently had Direct conversion generators, which makes everything even less logical because I definitely made sure to make them heat-based in the VAB.

here are some pics: http://imgur.com/a/JBz0c#0

And no, I didn't accidentaly press middle-mouse button to change the view.

Edited by xfrankie

Hi, i found another strange bug. When flying in atmosphere (regardless if Jool or Kerbin) after a while the ship "slides" out of view, and all docking ports magically disappear. This is fixed by timewarping once you get out of atmosphere, there the ship functions normally.

Can you provide a KSP.log file please?

im having an issue and would like to confirm that it is infact a bug: when orbiting eeloo my gamma ray spectrometers are not picking up that there is either uranium or thorium anywhere on the planet, i sent down a lander to make sure it wasnt an altitude issue and still got nothing. im getting uranium and thorium everywhere else in the kerbol system where it should be and ive tried reinstalling the mod.

im having an issue and would like to confirm that it is infact a bug: when orbiting eeloo my gamma ray spectrometers are not picking up that there is either uranium or thorium anywhere on the planet, i sent down a lander to make sure it wasnt an altitude issue and still got nothing. im getting uranium and thorium everywhere else in the kerbol system where it should be and ive tried reinstalling the mod.

It's a rounding issue on the gamma ray spectrometer rather than there actually being zero there, you'd need a parts per billion display rather than parts per million to actually get a reading. Eeloo doesn't really have much of those heavy elements.

I also had that strange view issue today (and yesterday too), my kethane miner had 2.5m reactor/thermal nozzle combo for thrust, rest was kethane and some KW stuff. That ship also slided of the view after a few minutes and timewarp restored it...for a while. It is kind of the center point movement on the ship where the 'camera' is being locked. It could be a KSP bug as well, but very annoying one, especially if one tries to land a ship that doesn't want to stay on the screen... :(

The camera view by default is slaved to the ship's center of mass but also integrated with a ships total size; if you transfer fuel around in a long rocket from one end to the other, you'll notice the camera focus shifts fore and aft, depending on which direction you're moving weight, and attaching KAS winches to things will also shift your center of view around if you're using docked mode. I've never had it slide out of control though, that's a new one :D

As odd as this may sound, the lack of sound on the plasma thruster got me to thinking about exhaust damage and for some strange reason the Kzinti wars came to mind.

Based on their size and thrust the FX is only so long. As Isp is based on exhaust velocity and most chemical rockets have an isp of 300-400 then the default effects make some sense and 'look' about right. So for engines with much higher Isp ratings, shouldn't the exhaust fx extend much farther back? I mean, shouldn't the exhaust effect be based on thrust and Isp? A thermal nozzle pumping out some 2800kN of thrust at 11000+ Isp is darn near a beam weapon isn't it?

Anyways, just wondering about this is the wee hours :)

What other mods are you using?

I also had that strange view issue today (and yesterday too), my kethane miner had 2.5m reactor/thermal nozzle combo for thrust, rest was kethane and some KW stuff. That ship also slided of the view after a few minutes and timewarp restored it...for a while. It is kind of the center point movement on the ship where the 'camera' is being locked. It could be a KSP bug as well, but very annoying one, especially if one tries to land a ship that doesn't want to stay on the screen... :(

Same question what mods?

Same question what mods?

I'm betting they're using Modular Fuels, as I had the same problem until I removed it and updated to the latest version. If that doesn't fix it, make sure all your other mods(directed at the posters you quoted, not you Donziboy) are up to date as well as it could be some strange conflict. I had a ship that was doing this consistently within 20 seconds of loading its save so I used that opportunity to try and track the bug down and it went away when I removed Modular Fuels. Downloaded the latest version and installed that instead and I haven't had the problem since.

The camera slides way, way off-center and the game does seem to think that's where the center of your ship actually is. If you try and pitch or yaw your whole ship will attempt to move around that point, causing large changes in your orbit. It will also interfere with parachutes opening as it can move quite a long distance off of your ship's actual center-point, and this can cause pods to crash into the ground before deploying their chutes fully. Like I said though, I'm 90% sure it was either caused by or in some way related to Modular Fuels.

KSPI, Kethane, Procedural Wings, KAS, B9 + reduced textures, TextureCompressor, MechJeb, Lazor's Docking Camera (just the camera part, nothing else)

Can you provide a KSP.log file please?

I can't upload it as text, it's too long. Here it is on gdocs: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxSUXWRJIwcOZ2RWZUt1UXotUEE/edit

I'm betting they're using Modular Fuels, ...

Nope, no modular fuels, however the B9 isn't the newest (bugged sabres). I'll try to remove it once I get home.

Edited by xfrankie

I love this Mod real or let it call Addon.

But I have slowly a bit the thought: Does it slowly not get a bit to large and hard to handle (for one developer)?

Would it not perhaps be better to split it slowly in 2 parts for easier codehandling?

Apart from the wiki, has anyone got a guide of the basics of construction for this mod? I'm having a hard time fumbling around trying to work out what power source / fuel source each engine requires.

thanks

peace.

The only other "guide" like thing beside the WIKI and this forum is my KSPStoryMissions pack for this mod - which is nearly finished, as we speak I am working on the final mission-set around the Alcubierre Drive - it should guide you through how the various parts fit together and what goes with what fairly well (based on my own slow and painful discoveries).

I cant seem to get the mod to work it keeps crashing on start up.

I have these mods:

FAR

Crew Mannifest

Mech Jeb

Universe replacer

Nova Punch

Boulder Co city lights

Engineer

Kerbal joint reinforcemnet

TAC

KOSMOS

Procedual fairings.

Which one do I need to dump?

I cant seem to get the mod to work it keeps crashing on start up.

I have these mods:

FAR

Crew Mannifest

Mech Jeb

Universe replacer

Nova Punch

Boulder Co city lights

Engineer

Kerbal joint reinforcemnet

TAC

KOSMOS

Procedual fairings.

Which one do I need to dump?

I had that problem at first (though I thought it was unique to 64-bit linux systems) - try scaling down your texture resolution. In my case it was running out of RAM loading textures (this mod has a LOT of big textures).