[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I think the pre-cooler stuff needs some work. It would be nice if they also worked by attaching to the thermal nozzle / turbo-jet / rapier engine instead of intakes. This would allow compatibility with radial intakes, give design flexibility, and still be realistic as the turbo machinery shouldn't care where the intake air is cooled, as long as its cooled before it enters. It would be consistent with the rest of KSP to assume all turbo machinery is contained in the engines / nozzles. The pre-coolers could have a rated amount of intake air they can handle to prevent blatant intake spamming a few nozzles. Make the rating tied both intake air and air speed, so cooling required = airspeed x intake air. Exceeding the cooling capacity provided by the pre-coolers on the vessel would cause nozzles to overheat and explode.

Fractal, any thoughts on this suggested change?

Fractal, any thoughts on this suggested change?

Well, originally I thought about setting it up that way but it doesn't really make as much sense. The precooler is basically the first thing in the chain of components after the inlet, so any active inlet (i.e. not a ram intake) would contain turbomachinery that would itself melt if the intake flow weren't precooled.

Sabre_cycle_m.jpg

I would like to find a way of distinguishing ram intakes from other intakes but active intakes aren't actually required in KSP because all the atmospheric engines have between about 7.5x-15x (depending on altitude) as much fuel efficiency as they should compared to real life (this is in contrast to rocket engines which are generally less efficient in KSP) and if I change that too, well, I'm suddenly making a huge number of changes that make all aircraft massively harder to build - I've tested some of these changes and I was still able to build an SSTO out of stock parts but it was a genuinely difficult task that took a long time to complete. I don't think that is really everyone's cup of tea so I'm looking for a sensible alternative.

Heyo, hopefully a quick question here, just installed Interstellar along with a few other bits, but when I start the game I don't get any options to select a technology tree at any point, I briefly gave myself a large amount of research points and checked in game and I do still appear to be on the vanilla research tree, any thoughts on how I could manually switch it to the interstellar tech tree?

Heyo, hopefully a quick question here, just installed Interstellar along with a few other bits, but when I start the game I don't get any options to select a technology tree at any point, I briefly gave myself a large amount of research points and checked in game and I do still appear to be on the vanilla research tree, any thoughts on how I could manually switch it to the interstellar tech tree?

Go to your game save folder [KSP Main]/saves/[Game Name]/ and delete the tree.cfg file then reload the game.

Spitzer or Hubble would look good. They would also be challenging to get up and placed because of their dimensions and limited attachment point.

3D models at the bottom http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/explore/24-models

That's a really awesome model but it's very high detail and I have no hope whatsoever of texturing it appropriately, sadly it doesn't seem to include any by default.

Go to your game save folder [KSP Main]/saves/[Game Name]/ and delete the tree.cfg file then reload the game.

Hrm, the files for that don't seem to be present, I had a play around with grabbing the treeloader original .dll , and neither that file or the one included with interstellar seem to actually generate those files in my save games when I load them, I assume the .dll isn't loading, there isn't a particular way I'm meant to be launching KSP for that to load in is there?

Hrm, the files for that don't seem to be present, I had a play around with grabbing the treeloader original .dll , and neither that file or the one included with interstellar seem to actually generate those files in my save games when I load them, I assume the .dll isn't loading, there isn't a particular way I'm meant to be launching KSP for that to load in is there?

I have a spare file for when people can't get it to load: download this tree.cfg file and put it there. Then it should work.

Apparently I'm really good at breaking things, I still don't see the new researches (apart from automation), I'll go re-download and re-install Interstellar now and see if something didn't go wrong there, if not I'll leave it for the time being, cheers for all the assistance

I decided to perform a first experimental mission of this new gravitional lens/telescope code. My ship is a bit wobbly due to the poor design but it's a nice enough demonstration of concept.

This was done with all the techs unlocked and the journey took ~9 hours ingame. It remains to be seen how early in career mode it can be done.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I love the idea, but basing missions around a radial-attachment part sounds painful

Depends on how heavy it is. A bit of off balanced weight can be compensated for with a bit of thrust vectoring or SAS. If its too much and you cant counter balance with other needed parts... well my normal solution is to just bring a second one even if its just deadweight.

As intresting as the new mechanics and parts are fractal I'd kill to have that heat helper in the VAB even if that was the only thing ready for the update :P . Being able to balpark if a ship will be viable or not if I send it to moho before I launch it would be a godsend. Flinging it out there at high timewarp just to test it out befor savescuming back to launch a real misison is something of a drag.

Sorry was looking at the wrong part cfg.

Where are you seeing this 100 for the 0.625 stackable? The area in the .cfg file is 1.25 not 100.

You can't just use stock or modded modules to produce WasteHeat, the Interstellar power resources: ThermalPower, ChargedPower, WasteHeat and Megajoules all use a special resource manager to produce them. If you produce them just by adding them to the total, the resource manager will not properly understand where that heat is coming from, why it exists or how to deal with it.

Not sure why the BALKA doesn't work though, the WasteHeat changes should be applied to all solar panels. Does the BALKA display the heat production bar?

At present you can't but it's really easy to avoid anyway, switchover to LFO before your engines overheat or add some precoolers to the intakes.

completing the mission within 5 years of ingame time requires about 95km/s of delta-v, so is certainly possible given sufficiently high standards of engineering. The challenge is set!

I have a mid KSPI-tech design that can propel a research vessel with a return module that has 75k dV. I'm confidant I could squeeze a couple dozen kilometers of delta-v out of the design by replacing the crew and science sections with a telescope and AGI core and a bit more fuel.

You mentioned that base science of the new telescope is 0.5/day and that once you get out to gravitational lens range you get a lot more science. Will we have to wait to find out how much science we'd get out there or will you tell us before next version of KSPI comes out? :P

It will get a lot worse once an update includes a lot more biomes. Seriously. But this is a balancing issue and that HAS to wait - it will be done over time. The vertical tech tree is doing stuff like that (calcualting changes needed etc. for science) but this is all very early in the cycle, never forget that ;)

Hi guys. Im very sorry if this has already been answered. I tried searching and did not find an answer.

I've just installed the latest KSP interstellar. After the game finishes loading, just before the main menu, the game crashes to desktop. Do you know what could it be?

I've only mucked about with the alcubierre drive in sandbox, and briefly at that.

Questions:

- I'm assuming the upgrade in the tech-tree in career mode will allow for more exotic matter storage, thus higher warps, yes?

- Is there any benefit to adding more than one drive, or will that just rip my ship apart (worst case scenario)?

Actually no, to my knowledge. As in - in sadnbox you already get all upgrades, so in career it is just less powerfull at the start.

Oh? I thought I read that sandbox had the non-upgraded versions of parts.

Well.

EDIT: It seems I thought wrong.

I only ever used the smaller drive and never really looked at the numbers of the larger one.

Edited by Melfice

I can't land my ship on kerbal. I made an SSTO with a lander and it went to eeloo, came back, and now whenever the front landing gear touches the ground, everything immediately explodes into pieces. I've tried landing at least 15 times, and even heading 270 or 90 to see if there's a difference. I swear, I'm making the softest landings...it just doesn't help. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: I finally landed it. It may have taken 6 hours, and 5 trips to the KSS but it worked. 2600 science get.

Edited by jallious

I did a quick search in the thread for Real Fuels compatibility and, while I found a post somewhere around page 250, I'm worried that that is for an old version. Is Real Fuels compatibility baked in now or is there some other place I should go for an official config?