Is it possible??

Yuval ofer

I am not entirely sure, but I think the maximum was 500 meterish.

I've had them over 5km.

I experimented with save editing things to create huge towers, but it didn't work to well.

They glitched, and I couldn't control it, or leave to space center.

The plan was to have a launchpad (extraplanetary launchpad mod) at the top, hab pods at both the top and bottom, so I could use crewmanifest to send kerbals to the top.

It didn't work out.

I later re-used the extended cables to make a big slingshot.

That is, you'd move upwards away from the planet, then fall back towards your equatorial orbit--in your equatorial orbit, your center of mass was in the same place as that of Kerbin. Once you move the ring up, that's no longer the case, and gravity pulls the craft downwards. I think.

I'd agree.

For a Niven-Sized Ringworld (i.e. around the sun) you can do this to get some sunlight variation, sort of bouncing the ring up and down. There's also a sort-of-discworld megastructure that's something like a (scaled up) Long-Playing record with the sun in the hole at the centre - local gravity's perpendicular to the disk - and that would be so massive you'd bounce the sun up and down to get the same effect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.