[WIN] [Beta] KerbalLauncher

KerbalLauncher (Beta)

If you are anything like me, you probably have several different installations of Kerbal Space Program running around on your hard drive (modded, unmodded, 0.20.2, 0.21.1, maybe even 0.13 for nostalgia). However, managing these different installations and launching the correct one every time can be a bit of a chore. So I decided to write KerbalLauncher, and handy tool that remembers where all your installations are and lets you choose which one you like each time you launch.

Download:

Executable Jar File (130 KB)

Source Code (69 KB)

Description

• Stores Profiles for Each Kerbal Space Program Installation
  • No Limit to the Number of Profiles
  • Allows Selection of a Different Profile Each Launch
  • Remembers Last Profile Selected
  • Can Automatically Launch Game in a Borderless Window
  • Remembers Location Between Sessions (Can be turned off)
  • Closes on Game Start (Can be turned off)
  • Works with all version of Kerbal Space Program

Installation

• Install Java (Downloadable from here)
  • Download the Executable Jar File
  • Put the Jar File Somewhere (Probably the Desktop)
  • Double Click the Jar File
  • That's it!

Usage

Launching a Profile

• To Launch a pre-existing profile, simply select it from the drop-down menu and then click "Launch Kerbal Space Program."

Creating a Profile

• To modify, create, and manage profiles, click "Profile Management" from the main screen.
  • To create a new profile, click "New."
  • Type a profile name in the box to replace "Default" (unless you want to name the profile "Default," of course). Two profiles may not have the same name.
  • Click the "Browse" button, and navigate in the window that pops up to the desired "KSP.exe," located in the root directory of the Kerbal Space Program installation. This is in the same directory as the GameData folder. Paths can be typed in manually as well.
  • If you want to launch the game in a borderless window, check the box here.
  • Click "Save" to save the new profile, or "Cancel" to exit profile creation.

Editing a Profile

• To modify, create, and manage profiles, click "Profile Management" from the main screen.
  • To edit a profile, select it from the list at the left of the screen, then click "Edit."
  • Once you are finished making changes, click "Save" to save them, or cancel to close the window without saving changes.

Deleting a Profile

• To delete a profile, select it from the list at the left of the screen, then click "Delete."
  • You will be asked to confirm deletion of the profile.

Changing General Settings

• To change general launcher settings, click "Launcher Options" on the main screen.
  • To save the new settings, click "Save." To exit without saving, click "Close."

FAQ

What language is KerbalLauncher written in?

• KerbalLauncher is written in Java, a multi-platform language. This is to aid in my goal to support all installations of Kerbal Space Program with the same code base.

What is a borderless window?

• Borderless window is like full screen, but not quite. It is a window without the traditional border that goes with it. Thus, if you launch Kerbal Space Program as a borderless window and set the resolution in-game to your computer's maximum resolution, it will appear to be in full screen. However, since it is still in windowed mode, it behaves like a window, which can have some advantages if you Alt + Tab out of KSP a lot or use multiple monitors with certain drivers. If you aren't entirely sure what it is or if you should use it, I would recommend leaving the button unchecked.

What Operating Systems do you test/support?

• I develop KerbalLauncher on a computer running Windows 7 Professional, using the latest Java 7. I will try to support all Windows Operating Systems and, once I expand KerbalLauncher to support other operating systems, all Intel Macs. Linux support, when it comes, will be limited to Ubuntu/Debian.

Known Bugs

• None yet, but I don't expect that to last long.

Planned Features

• Support for Linux (relatively near future).
  • Support for Mac (I don't have any to test on, so I will need volunteers before implementing this).

License

• KerbalLauncher is licensed under the GNU GPL v3
  • Although you do not have to by the license, I would appreciate it if you informed me if you were redistributing or modifying my software, just so I can feel appreciated :).

Changelog

0.1 Beta

• Initial Release

Edited by DresCroffgrin

Can this store mods within the profiles?

Not within the profiles themselves, but you can have one profile that launches an unmodded version, and one that launches a modded version.

For example, I have a profile for stock 0.21.1 that points to "C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe," and one for a modded version of 0.21.1 that points to "C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program 0-21-1 Modded\KSP.exe." I had to set up both installs and put the mods in the modded install manually, but I can choose between them freely from the dropdown menu, instead of having to make icons for each one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.