Rewind to Tracking Station

The new rewind feature is great. It encourages experimentation and has the potential to be a much more natural alternative to quicksaves. But it has one glaring inconsistency:

• You can rewind if you fly a ship from the launch pad.
  • You can rewind if you fly a ship from the runway.
  • You can not rewind if you fly a ship from the tracking station.

I found this quite surprising. I got a ship into orbit, returned to the space centre to "save" my progress, then decided to fool around in orbit for a while. Once I ran out of fuel, I wanted to rewind my game, but the rewind button was disabled! I couldn't figure out why. I was double-checking that my throttle was zeroed and I wasn't time accelerating or anything, and then I went online to see if a bug was reported. I was very surprised to discover that this is by design; in my opinion, rewinding should always be an option.

(I noticed another thread suggesting that the rewind feature was too forgiving. If you want a "hardcore" mode that removes rewinding -- and presumably quicksaves -- that's cool, but as long as rewinding is in the game, it should be consistent.)

The "rewind" option is a reload of your last persistence save, placing you either the moment before, or the moment after you hit the "launch" button. When you exit your craft, you save everything to your persistence save, therefore you could only "rewind", if this were possible, to the moment you re-entered the ship from the tracking station.

If you want to "rewind" manually, you should use quicksaves.

And the term is Revert. ;)

There's no reason for the game to facilitate recklessness

Now I have to towel coffee off my monitor. We are talking about Kerbal Space Program, right? The game that lets you tack a lawnchair to a solid rocket booster and light the fuse if you so choose?

-- Steve

Now I have to towel coffee off my monitor. We are talking about Kerbal Space Program, right? The game that lets you tack a lawnchair to a solid rocket booster and light the fuse if you so choose?

-- Steve

*facilitate recklessness without consequence. We're all for recklessness with explosions. As long as said explosions are explosions and not just "but it was all a dream".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.