Modular Surface Base. Your home away from home.

Rune

Hey guys! These crafts owe a lot to Temstar and the wonderful job he did on his base, particularly on the assembly method, I totally copied that. But before getting into details, let's see what you are buying, why don't we?

wH5GrqY.jpg

There's also one on Mun, mind you:

y1Jyllb.jpg

And you may have noticed it comes with a very sexy shuttle you can dock into the base to minimize ongoing flights:

JR97TKb.png

The shuttle is an interplanetary ship on its own right, with an independent drive section that can take it pretty much anywhere and enough delta-v at decent thrust on its own to serve as a Duna single stage lander. In fact, all modules are equipped with chutes on descent configuration, so the base is deployable not only to low gravity worlds, but also to any rock with atmosphere to brake with. After individual drops, the rover that comes with the Comm module (which acts as node) can pick up each module and join them in your desired configuration.

Maximum kerbal capacity is 14, but since the shuttle only has a capacity of 5, and I require an abort capability at all times, I usually have them at less than half capacity. But I'm thinking of sending another shuttle to Mun, so I'll reach the nominal crew of 10 before I start the rotations. Yes, I do those.

There is, however, a trick you can take advantage of to minimize again the number flights: you can bunch the modules together for cruise to the destination.

rBF8EUgs.jpg

For Mun I sent each module on its own (early testing), but after doing MOI one too many times, I decided the next time I was saving burn time time by doing a bit of docking. Not only do you save that, you can also "stage" the nuclear cruise stages to get more effective range, which I might need on the next one, because it is going to Laythe, the maximum supported range in the brochure. I might have to eat into the fuel tanks of the base, but that's why I'll be taking a non-official kethane module to refill with (non-official modules not supported, but welcomed :P). Oh, and while we are talking about tricks, it was also on that flight when I performed the assembly on orbit, and just dropped the whole thing in one piece using only the engines in the fuel modules. Minmus is so easy to land in!

And speaking on the nuclear cruise sections... Yes, I know, the T/W is pitiful. But that's all you need in space! Just plan accordingly, and take it into account while launching: the stage you finish orbit insertion with has a T/W of about 0.1. So "aim high" while going to orbit, because it will take a while to circularize. Or in other words, take your gravity turn with a lot of leisure. After staging each of them is capable of independent de-orbit maneuvers to comply with the clean space act, of course. so no need to worry about that. Some modules lose their RCS, though (no need for that on the ground), so might need to worry about that if you want to dock them somewhere afterwards.

The launch vehicle, by the way, is pretty much the same for everything, just slightly scaled on account of some modules weighting more than others. Not my most elegant launcher, but it is both simple and powerful enough to put these into the proper escape trajectories, and that's enough enough in my book. A bit of a weird wobble on the launch pad, I'm not really sure why, but it'll ease on liftoff. I think the game doesn't like having docking ports as stress points. :blush:

Z7SBqGgs.jpg

Much more pictures in the album, of course, from early testing on kerbin through orbital assembly to surface operations:

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWNLOADS:

Base Shuttle

Base Comm Module

Base Hab Module

Base Fuel Module

Rune. R-SUV, back again with colonization support!

Edited by Rune

Thanks guys! Glad you like it. Any feedback is appreciated as always, of course! :)

So that's how you move modules into place....

Genius!

Copied 110% from Temstar, so I can't take any credit from that idea. But it sure saves you a lot of parts once the base is assembled, especially if you can detach the descent systems. And it makes designing new modules a breeze, you just have to set a diameter and a leg height. About that, I've had an idea lately... I might do a module lander monstrosity, if I can figure out how to build it balanced.

Why do you place a Docking port on a Window at the Cupola Module??

Mostly, for aesthetic reasons. I just really, really liked how the ship turned out to look, it seemed different from everything else out there. But feel free to swap the cupola with a standard three man capsule, they both weight the same and the only thing the cupola offers is a view, and two less seats. Also, I want that ship to be able to dock to different space stations to handle the crew transfers.

Awesome prefab base system. Gonna have to give it a whirl. You should totally share that "unofficial" kethane module as well :D

But then I would have to take out that cool-looking [stock] tag, wouldn't I? Haha :) Anyway, you can re-create it very easy: use 2.5m tanking symmetrically, put the landing legs one notch below the centerline, and slap a docking port on the belly. Mine has 2x X800-2 fuel tanks, 2xTL10 kethane tanks, a big converter in the middle, and some drills and some other necessary crap slapped on to the basic thing: adapters, batteries and sensors and whatnot. Don't forget to add some landing method, mine was a detachable flat probe with eight rockomax 24-77's and RCS, so I could ditch it after I landed and save on parts, and I would dock it on the belly after launch (which is why it needed to be so flat). A pic on the VAB should be all you need to recreate it (note it is a new and untested version with the chutes and RCS on ejectable pods and the liquid engines bolted on the main spacecraft):

UzLCnkA.jpg

Rune. Yay customer service! :P

Edited by Rune

Great job Rune! Love your work. However either these aren't stock or I'm doing something wrong. When I go to open the comm module or the shuttle it gives me an error that I am missing a couple of Parts. It looks like the engineer chip as well as toggleable asas. Please advise, I'm anxious to get these setup on the mun. I'm also going to see about duplicating that kethane setup as well on this platform!

Thanks!

Boop, I "might" have left those on. :blush: It should be fixed now! Sorry to those brave 15 or so souls that want to try such a "complicated" build. Glad you like docking! In the meantime, I am proud to announce this works:

kTaCHDX.jpg

...as to what possible use it may have, other than being an absurdly over-complicated way of dropping base modules on, say, Duna, I leave it up to the imagination.

Rune. But I bet you guys want me to finish testing and provide the .craft.

Copied 110% from Temstar, so I can't take any credit from that idea. But it sure saves you a lot of parts once the base is assembled, especially if you can detach the descent systems. And it makes designing new modules a breeze, you just have to set a diameter and a leg height.

OK, it might be the dark pictures or the first cup of coffee... but I can't see how the assembly method works.

OK, it might be the dark pictures or the first cup of coffee... but I can't see how the assembly method works.

There's a docking port on the underside of each module. A special rover (in the comm module) can dock there, you put the landing gear up, drive to align, gear down, and there you go, you are docked (if only it was that easy... well, it's doable, especially in low gravity).

Rune. Or, you know, drop the whole thing assembled like I did on Minmus. :P

Why did you call this a stock craft? It most surely is not.

See? This is an example of a completely uninformative (and uninformed) post. If you find some file is not 100% stock, please tell me which one. If not, then it's because it is, indeed, stock.

See? This is an example of a completely uninformative (and uninformed) post. If you find some file is not 100% stock, please tell me which one. If not, then it's because it is, indeed, stock.

There are a few more on the shuttle, i'll look for those later. Don't remember what those were. There are 2 on the Comm module that are missing. These are them: AdvSasModuleToggle, Engineer 7500. I will tell the shuttle ones in a bit.

P.S. How is my post uninformed? I understand how it was uninformative but not uninformed. I think you're being a bit of a hypocrite. I like to spread my posts out so I don't have unbearable information all in one post. Thus the reason I waited for you to respond before I told you the file names.

Edited by aazo5

P.S. How is my post uninformed? I understand how it was uninformative but not uninformed. I think you're being a bit of a hypocrite. I like to spread my posts out so I don't have unbearable information all in one post. Thus the reason I waited for you to respond before I told you the file names.

If you look five... no, wait, six posts up, you will see someone else told me about those parts, and I already fixed the downloads. I even apologized to the people that, like you, downloaded it before it was fixed. Hence, finding your post afterwards was weird, I thought there were more parts that I hadn't removed.

If you look five... no, wait, six posts up, you will see someone else told me about those parts, and I already fixed the downloads. I even apologized to the people that, like you, downloaded it before it was fixed. Hence, finding your post afterwards was weird, I thought there were more parts that I hadn't removed.

I don't see that post, sorry. But either way, i'd love to see it fixed. That is all i'm asking for. Or at least give an updated download link.

There's a docking port on the underside of each module. A special rover (in the comm module) can dock there, you put the landing gear up, drive to align, gear down, and there you go, you are docked (if only it was that easy... well, it's doable, especially in low gravity).

Rune. Or, you know, drop the whole thing assembled like I did on Minmus. :P

Coolness... will have to look into this. Thanks!

Oops, I see the post you were talking about now. It was hard to find it. It was all hidden between 2 pics. :D I'll re download the updated one.

Oops, I see the post you were talking about now. It was hard to find it. It was all hidden between 2 pics. :D I'll re download the updated one.

Please do, and I hope you like it!

Nevermind, got it to work. Awesome base setup. Using it with my Osiris-class interplanetary ships. Did some slight modifications to the launchers and such since I didn't need the interplanetary stages. My Osiris requires a clampotron sr for the payload, so the comm hub/rover's what used to be interplanetary stage fuel tank now serves as an extra fuel reserve and mount for the sr.

Would you mind if I posted screenies of my ship carrying/deploying this awesome modular base? You will receive all credit, of course.

Nevermind, got it to work. Awesome base setup. Using it with my Osiris-class interplanetary ships. Did some slight modifications to the launchers and such since I didn't need the interplanetary stages. My Osiris requires a clampotron sr for the payload, so the comm hub/rover's what used to be interplanetary stage fuel tank now serves as an extra fuel reserve and mount for the sr.

Would you mind if I posted screenies of my ship carrying/deploying this awesome modular base? You will receive all credit, of course.

Of course not! Seeing what you guys do with my stuff is really cool, and the main reason I bother to upload it :D. Besides, those modifications sound intriguing. Please post the screenies and/or a link here when you do!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.