Kerbalized Rockets

Guest Flixxbeatz

Guest Flixxbeatz

Cool.

Any suggestions of rockets to do? I can\'t find any interesting ones...

Mercuries and Redstones might do. We have a Gemini capsule already :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Flixxbeatz

Good to see someone who is definitely on par with my interests :)

I\'ve searched around the internet for more rocket designs. I saw 3 interesting ones and kerbalized two of them.

-Conestoga 1620 (a definitely Kerbal rocket from the 1990s)

fN9KZ.jpg

sBgSN.jpg

I\'ve launched it by firing all the SRBs simultaneously, making me attain an abnormally high Ap, unknowingly that they should have been fired by batch (2-2-2-2 or 4-4). Also, the original has only 6 - I\'ve made it 8 for uniformity purposes.

-Scout (The first all-solid multistage rocket from the 1960s)

izoED.jpg

qxQaz.jpg

It\'s hilariously tall by kerbal standards, but very stable (thanks to 8 struts I\'ve put every stage). Too bad it handles poorly.

-Scout (The first all-solid multistage rocket from the 1960s)

It\'s hilariously tall by kerbal standards, but very stable (thanks to 8 struts I\'ve put every stage). Too bad it handles poorly.

Brother....

This was my definitely inferior attempt, made way back when 0.9 was current (notice the absence of the air pressure gauge, and the palm trees.)

screenshot8c.jpg

screenshot17gf.jpg

It flew decently, more or less following the original\'s profile, but during first stage boost it was in constant danger of shaking itself apart, due to the usual wonky behaviour of mod decouplers (they seem to be very hard to get right).

The Conestoga family is VERY interesting, and I mantain that Squad should include an assortment of small SRBs tuned for making designs like that possible; to be used for satellite launch in the very early phase of the campaign.

(I would like the campaign to start from Sputnik and Vanguard, and manned spaceflight to be attained after this introductory phase, though it would be brief)

Guest Flixxbeatz

oh. didn\'t knew that. And it looks much closer to the original :)

Anyway, I\'ve finally revamped my Vega after watching the livestream.

1gPUU.jpg

Xp1DS.jpg

I\'ve now used CaptainSlug\'s PLF Set for half-sized fairings, and changed the entire last stage. It flies well, except for minor wobbles on the first stage that requires constant watching.

Here\'s the AVUM orbital stage (which is the only liquid stage on the original):

5nBa2.jpg

Could\'ve modded myself a small 2m tank, but that would be violating the rules :D

Guest Flixxbeatz

Redone my Ares I replica. Now uses a 1.75m tank on the second stage instead of 2m to make the bulge less obvious.

nxtqu.jpg

Guest Flixxbeatz

Pro-tip: fasten the first stage LFE with struts to alleviate pad wobliness. :D

Anyway, because the UR series filled my mind with lots of f***, I decided to go and kerbalize other rocket.

Presenting: Ariane 5

K1A72.jpg

Because of the available parts, I have no choice, but to upsize it. Probably the second biggest working rocket I\'ve made (the biggest is the Bahamut)

Q9swk.jpg

There\'s a major flaw in that rocket: under-powered first stage engine. To compensate, I have no choice, but to power the engine up (increase its thrust, and fuel consumption also).

Using plenty of mods (no dedicated parts pack though) I\'ve made a pretty accurate and perfectly usable Saturn V.

screenshot43qq.png

Not only does it look like Saturn V, it\'s also very flyable and capable of getting to the Mun.

screenshot48a.png

Here is the screenshot of the 3rd stage or Saturn S-N. Basically a Saturn V with two NERVA engines. This thing can not only get to orbit, it can fly to the Mun and back, then deorbit and still have fuel left in it\'s 3rd stage. No lander yet, because it\'s the demo version of KSP.

screenshot50s.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.