Scanning mission for anomolies (stock)

First, I'm too lazy to install mods at this time. Between being on a Mac and having downloaded through Steam and not knowing where to look, to not really wanting to get too crazy until I've got the basics of the stock game down, I'm just not there yet. Second, I don't want to go the easy way by just pulling up lists of anomalies and locations.

That said, I wanted to spice up my experience a bit by going off in pursuit of thses anomalies. I assume all the scanners or map making stuff were mods, but is there a stock instrument or method of some kind that I'm missing that one can use investigate planets closer?

If not, I may just have to "simulate" a remote sensing mission by getting a probe with something weighing and looking like a camera into a polar orbit and watching from orbit on time acceleration.

On one hand I want to find them for some targeted landings, but on the other, I want to feel like I've earned it at least a little bit. Is there some sort of scanner or method of searching that people use without resorting to searching the internet for locations?

Edited by UH60guy

Nothing stock. If you want to scan for anomalies, get the ISA MapSat. It doesn't work perfectly with 0.21 but it will still find anomalies for you.

Mods are at the Spaceport, which you can find off the main game menu. When you get there, type ISA MapSat in the search box.

As above. On the other hand, my strategy for finding anomalies with a stock game amounted to flying insanely low orbits and looking for flicker. Though I did find one with it, don't expect to find munoliths with this stratgety, as they are very difficult to see and you have to be VERY close (often closer than the edges of any given crater might allow). I have found others mainly on chance (and a little research).

Not really, you would have to use mods, but I just wouldn't was your time not using the "easy" way. On the moon you can at least look for anomalies in a low orbit as they appear as twinkling white pixels, but that is the extent that you can manually search.

Not really, you would have to use mods, but I just wouldn't was your time not using the "easy" way. On the moon you can at least look for anomalies in a low orbit as they appear as twinkling white pixels, but that is the extent that you can manually search.

You used to be able to do that but the anomalies don't twinkle near as much as they used to in the last version, which makes them extremely difficult to spot from low orbit.

You used to be able to do that but the anomalies don't twinkle near as much as they used to in the last version, which makes them extremely difficult to spot from low orbit.

And besides that, a lot of them on Mun and Kerbin are now buried by the new terrain anyway. ISA still shows them but you can't see them from the surface.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to know where they are, but... are there any on Minimus?

I found my first one by chance while doing a low orbit at the Mun, and got excited and sent a probe to Minimus. I then spent a couple of hours doing low orbit visual scans, changing my inclination by 5° each orbit. I didn't find anything, but at least I got the Minimus "polar orbit" merit badge. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.