Good Free Games?

JupiterII

Star Trek Online became free to play last week. I tried it any found it surprisingly entertaining despite the dated graphics.

it\'s rather Trekky in its gameplay and backstory but that does add to the immersion and fun.

Ship combat is a mix of Starfleet Command that\'s as fast paced and customisable as Lineage.

be warned that if you are a hardcore Trekker you will find that pretty much no one cares about Starfleet regs.

But seeing an entire Federation armada hovering over Earth after a mission is totally epic. sort of like a free Eve Online or something.

There are some limitations to free accounts such as no forum postings and a in game credit limit but trust me it has no effect on the awesomeness. I\'m not about to earn ten million credits anytime soon.

since you play a Starfleet officer, the requisitions of ship systems and equipment are pretty competently handled by the single player quest.

Because it was a payware game before, the community is tight and there are some awesome senior players to tag around with if you are lucky to catch them.

A few of us intend to roleplay a bunch of characters from Stargate SG1 just so we happened to run into a Jack O Neill earlier this morning. lol.[reply now in correct place]

Must be ECM from the Orion Raiders I was combating earlier.

Battlefield heroes...A free online multiplayer shooting, burning, blowing up, online game with a cartoon/comedy vibe.

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/

Battlefield play4free...another free online multiplayer game with the same principal as heroes above although more serious and realistic

http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/

I remember playing minecraft when all you had was a small Island and zero mobs and unlimited blocks to build with ie. pre-survival alpha. Amazing how far its come since then.

Also check out this early alpha beauty T-17 Tanky,Physics based armored warfare with angry bird look alikes as the crew. http://preendog.com//

Roblox.

(Of course I only use it for the building now... Considering the community sucks.)

Im in a space two groups called RSA and ULA RSA im going to go to there school and ULA im making the most powerfull rockets ever senn on roblox! my name is pirouline234

Just finished installing STO. Will be playing it in about an hour. Is there anyone here that plays that I might be able to meet up with?

Too close to working hours to be safe, but I can catch you next time, no worries.

The single player missions will take up a lot of your time anyway!

Just finished installing STO. Will be playing it in about an hour. Is there anyone here that plays that I might be able to meet up with?

ima install it in a few but we have might have to wait untill morning for US to meet up IDK how to meet up or somthing but ill learn

Anyone know how to get rid of the skill up button, or atleast make it stop flashing?

Oh that, just ignore it, it\'s not that big anyway.

Because right now you can earn skill points for individual starship and ground combat kills, sometimes you just have a few skill points left that can\'t be assigned anywhere.

I\'ll happily meet you gentlemen during the weekends. Weekdays, the timezone will be a problem because gaming time for the US is morning office hours for me.

In the meantime I talked to some veterans and we got a fleet started for our own social purposes. Makes the galaxy more fun if you have people to share notes with, and in future team up a few cruisers to task force missions. PM me if you want the fleet\'s contact. Then you can use the \'social\' page of the game to find them.

Gameplay wise this is the most customisable and flexible Trek game I\'ve played in ages.

The weapon and systems slots for the basic NCL (advanced light cruiser) class you start the game with may be very limited (2 fore 1 aft weapon slots), but you could create anything from a close range phaser gunship, or convert it into a fast torpedo boat to annoy larger ships with.

You do have to spend some time walking around to learn where to get all the ship modifications done, and where to get the parts, but its very rewarding. There are different classes and mounts for the same weapon, such as fixed heavy cannons, turrets, and classic single or dual phaser banks.

Once you got the ship\'s configuration sorted out, shop around the Exchange (player market) to get some low cost \' pre - owned \' bridge consoles. These are special subsystems that enhance specific weapon systems or ship abilities. Right now I\'m using a full photon torpedo loadout with improved variable geometry detonators. Since this type of ship is a hit and run unit that possibly will be taking quite a bit of enemy fire, the engineering subsystem is setup for increased damage resilience. Then support this equipment setup with your character\'s (Captain\'s) skillset for a pretty foolproof solution.

Higher ranked officers can make experimental ships with \'alien\' weapons that are normally outside the Starfleet order of battle; things like plasma cannons and disruptors were encountered on a rare basis even in more serious strategy oriented games such as Starfleet Command 1 & 2 as well.

The good thing about STO tactical combat is that you do not necessarily need to go close to the enemy (although most others kind of like close in dogfights). Just use continuous phaser strikes on the same shield to bring it down then a few precision strikes from overloaded photon torpedoes does the rest. Use your officers\' special abilities to create overloaded shots, ECM, etc, while captain\'s skills are for maneuvering the ship with increased speed and precision.

Maneuvering the ship to surgically place strikes on the enemy vessel from maximum range, slipping them past downed shields is quite the art. Simply blasting away aimlessly is quite ineffective especially with the standard weapons loadout.

Single-shot overloaded photons can blow marauder battleships to pieces, if done right.

Thanks for the info! As for timezones, I\'m in Atlantique Time, so an hour ahead of US eastearn. It\'s 4 hours behind england.

Its exactly 12 hours behind my timezone.

Today in STO I unlocked the duty officer system. Very interesting strategy \'mini\' game and does make you feel the complexity and size of the Trek universe ships.

And oh look a video :3

Star Trek Online - Intense Space and Ground Combat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.