Simple Railway mod in development. Kerbtown based.

Tw1

Just to show that this project isn't dead, ('tis merely unconscious) :

I did an experiment on the collision issue. As earlier experiments with TT aircraft wheels didn't show the passing through problems I've been getting, I built a thing with them that would fit on the track. It showed an interesting bouncy behaviour:

NmLIQAd.gif

It was stable at higher speeds than the bogie, and handled the curve much better. Yet as it accelerates further:

zvAgOvZ.png

This suggests the issues come from the track design, rather just the fact that my bogie was a single part. I think T shape track may be dodgy.

Perhaps it's time to just go with a simple old box, and accept the fact that trains will fly of the track if you're a poor driver.

This are my ideas for the way forward:

• Simpler, box cross section shape track.
  • Less wheels per part. Possibly, one bogie will consist of anywhere from 3 -5 components.
  • Learn how to make suspension things like on TT's aircraft wheels.

The current model has a couple of modeling issues, for example, there are holes where wheels make contact with the body, causing a lot of unnecessary polygons. I'll be able to do better next time.

However, if Kerbtown is truly dead in the water, there will never be the level of positioning precision necessary to make this system work. We may have a case of counting your kerbals before they crash.

Though if I manage to get a plugin for animation-based train movement, or manage to pull together one for procedurally linking track segments, it should be ok with kerbtown's current state.

I probably won't get on with it for a while yet, maybe not until the new year. (Though I reserve the right not to stick to these plans, and pop up with stuff anytime.)

Also, if someone wants to muck around with what I made before, it's here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/igrzfcfip9wpi1j/TWRail.zip

Edited by Tw1

• 1 month later...

What about bf2142 type monorails? They are shaped like a trapezoid turned upside down, with no underlying pad.

82590321-3.jpg

IMO would be fairlt easy to keep on such shape. And side pads for walking just make it more difficult to design vehicles.

Btw, I can't find KerbTOwn version that works on .23, anyone?

• 1 month later...