Redo Expressions system

I've seen kerbals screaming their heads off even when there is no threat to them.

Here is how i want the expressions system to be.

In order from top to bottom, idle/calm to panicking(EDITED):

No risk

Risk

Peril

Doom/nearby explosion

Destruction

Also stupidity currently acts kinda like how courage really should be, and courage doesn't have any obvious function.

How i want:

Stupidity - If the crew member responds to risks or not.

Courage - How the crew member responds to it.

Edited by CombustibleSanic
removed jeb from risk levels

Risk, peril, doom, destruction, Jeb.

Also, Courage and Stupidity. That's what they control, after all; how correctly they perceive risk and the threshold of perceived risk before they panic. Problem is fixed by hiring either smarter or braver Kerbals. (Or insisting upon both, if you can afford to be picky.) Not everyone has the Right Stuff, after all.

-- Steve

HEADING STRAIGHT FOR A CRASH!/Life-threatening situation.

Hey now, no need to shout.

Seriously need some synonyms for danger

You don't need synonyms for danger. You need specific examples of danger. The only one you posted was "about to crash". Even that could be more specific, such as "heading intersects with nearby terrain at high speeds".

Unfortunately, computers don't understand "danger". I think the dangers that the system currently checks are "an explosion just happened nearby" and "experiencing high G forces". Do you have any others to add to that, other than "heading intersects with nearby terrain at high speeds".

(That's the most fundamental problem with your question; there's also a performance penalty with checking the terrain intersections so often, which might make that suggestion not worth the extra processing for such a little but more verisimilitude.)

Hey now, no need to shout.

Hey chief! I could be wrong, but i think we may be about to collide violently and face first with the Munar surface. This makes me feel scared of the Munar surface. One thing we could do is burn retrograde to lessen the the force of impact. SMASH!

Kind of agree; no risk, risk, peril/Jeb, doom, destruction.

I think I might be missing something... Why is 'Jeb' a state of danger now?

Adding a little to the spectrum might be good, too. Maybe adding in something along the lines of "Low Kerbal orbit" = relaxed, geosynchronous orbit = nervous as hell, escape vector = scared, first time in space = This is awesome!

From the feedback from the peoples I can add:

First time in a rocket: Nervous as hell

First time in space: Relaxed

First time in orbit/landed on mun/first planet: AWESOME

Re-entry: Nervous

Explosions Very close by: Scared

Explosions on separate, nearby vessel: frown or smile

In orbit: relaxed

Escape trajectory: Nervous as hell

Hmmm... last night i had Bill aerobraking around Kerbin after his 325 day trip from Duna. I noticed the following: Whenever he was approaching Kerbin he was happy - and each time he´d reach periapsis and rise again he seemed unhappy, sometimes even like going crazy, shaking his head back and forth like he had this mental disorder which makes people do that thing. I was like: ´Common, Bill, you´ve been out there for so long now - stay with us just a little longer. I promise: you´re less than 24 hours from home, now! You can make it!´

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.