Rovers that pick up things

DrJonez

One of my old designs ... All stock

WMmxZ.jpg

ZzuBO.jpg

Basically I use the airplane landing gear to let me lower to the level that the thing I want to move (and have designed to interface with my "mun mobility units") is and connect. With another on the other side I can pick the thing up and move it around. Those images are from me testing it out. A few updates have passed and I've yet to get around to building my Mun base. Wheels have since been added and I'd probably go about it differently now so...

Just looked at it all again and the landing gear for airplanes still seem to be the only stock way to change height and roll... For my Mun base I'm planning on just putting rover wheels on everything so I can just drive everything into place.

I tried building a crane type thing just to see how it might work stock... not well. You need to be able to roll over the top of the thing and then lower down on it. My crane would not connect very well. It would sit on top and sorta bounce around for a while before finally connecting. Dangerous. And since none of the rover wheels can change height like the landing gear you're stuck moving with RCS or ION or an Ant or something.

Edited by FITorion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.