[0.21.1] StretchyTanks v0.2.2 (updated 8-26-13)

AncientGammoner

I made some local code changes to add ability to adjust the radius and it seems to be working well.

Only one thing, the surf-attached objects won't move when I adjust the radius. So I need to re-attach them later. Not a real big problem though.

This started at about 7km, was 2nd stage i dropped. The were instantly about 800meters or so ad started streatching. Not sure if they stopped, got to hard to judge with the camers messed up so bad and no spent stages behind me to gauge distance.

Strange, another guy reported a struts issue and sent me the craft file, but said it stopped doing it after he restarted KSP, and I launched the vehicle and didn't see anything. I'd like to get to the bottom of this but I've tried launching strut laden monstrosities and I haven't seen any problems. If anyone has this problem, relaying in exact detail how it happened, like what the struts were attached to and what exactly was the trigger that started the process will be a big help in finding the bug.

I made some local code changes to add ability to adjust the radius and it seems to be working well.

Only one thing, the surf-attached objects won't move when I adjust the radius. So I need to re-attach them later. Not a real big problem though.

Sure it works, but having the tank eat all the surface attached objects when it expands is a pretty big issue. I mean if you've read the code you know the updateScale() is rather hefty. Well it was originally 3 lines of code (stretch tank, update 2 nodes), and it worked perfectly fine... except stretching clipped into everything. All the rest of the code is me trying to make the stretching play nice with stuff attached to the nodes. Once I figure out how to make all the surface attachments play nice as well I'll probably add a "SuperStretchyTank" that you can expand radially.

Strange, another guy reported a struts issue and sent me the craft file, but said it stopped doing it after he restarted KSP, and I launched the vehicle and didn't see anything. I'd like to get to the bottom of this but I've tried launching strut laden monstrosities and I haven't seen any problems. If anyone has this problem, relaying in exact detail how it happened, like what the struts were attached to and what exactly was the trigger that started the process will be a big help in finding the bug.

Sure it works, but having the tank eat all the surface attached objects when it expands is a pretty big issue. I mean if you've read the code you know the updateScale() is rather hefty. Well it was originally 3 lines of code (stretch tank, update 2 nodes), and it worked perfectly fine... except stretching clipped into everything. All the rest of the code is me trying to make the stretching play nice with stuff attached to the nodes. Once I figure out how to make all the surface attachments play nice as well I'll probably add a "SuperStretchyTank" that you can expand radially.

Yeah, that would be good. But the math inside it is quite complicated (or actually not?).

I myself currently can live with that issue, I can adjust the radius first and then attach objects onto them.

Also, I've tested this PartModule with the Procedural Adapter made by DYJ. The result is good, I can now adjust both top/bottom radius and the height of the adapter, which means this adapter has become a universal adapter.

I'll test that with the decouplers, I need a universal decoupler too. :D

FWIW, I have seen this myself once before. It was several weeks ago, so, in my case it was not linked to your mod. It was just after I'd installed Modular Fuel System w/Real Fuels option installed and several of my ships were rendered unusable when their fuels changed. Both ships were these horrid strut/girder monstrosities that I downloaded from Spaceport and when I deorbited one, the struts suddenly started stretching like taffy just like KhaosCorp's pictures. I've never seen it before and never seen it since. It was also just after the 0.21 update so it could be something that crept in just with this last update.

Updated to v0.1.1

Download from SpacePort

Release notes for v0.1.1

-Fixed some bugs

-Added tentative support for Modular Fuel Tanks (unzip the cfg file in place to use)

I say tentative because the two mods change the same variables, so its kind of tricky to not step on each others toes (I've messaged the guy who wrote the mod but haven't heard back). That being said, initial testing with my code seems to work but I'll let you guys test it out further. Basically the way I made it work is if you use modular fuel tanks the tanks are empty to start (so don't forget to fill them), and if you stretch the tank at all then the resources are reset and the new volume is updated when you go back to the modular fuel tanks GUI.

Edited by AncientGammoner

Updated to v0.1.1

Download from SpacePort

Release notes for v0.1.1

-Fixed some bugs

-Added tentative support for Modular Fuel Tanks (unzip the cfg file in place to use)

I say tentative because the two mods change the same variables, so its kind of tricky to not step on each others toes (I've messaged the guy who wrote the mod but haven't heard back). That being said, initial testing with my code seems to work but I'll let you guys test it out further. Basically the way I made it work is if you use modular fuel tanks the tanks are empty to start (so don't forget to fill them), and if you stretch the tank at all then the resources are reset and the new volume is updated when you go back to the modular fuel tanks GUI.

The download has two DLLs in it! One in a 'plugin' directory and the other in a 'plugins' directory. One is also dated today so I'm assuming that is the correct one and deleting the older one..

The download has two DLLs in it! One in a 'plugin' directory and the other in a 'plugins' directory. One is also dated today so I'm assuming that is the correct one and deleting the older one..

Actually it had 1 but the folder was named "Plugin" instead of "Plugins" so it didn't overwrite the old version. Nice catch thanks.

Is the tank height contiously adjustable or are you planning to add a screen of 25 cm to it, and if you do so it would be awesome if you could do a joint-venture with Editor Extensions, so

1° = 1 cm

5° = 5 cm

15° = 25 cm

30° = 50 cm

45° = 75 cm

90° = 100 cm

And what about procedural SRB's and a joint-venture with Advanced SRB (Adjusting the height does increase the thrust and mass, but not burntime)

Now I am even more confused =/

Decided I should recreate the strut bug this morning. As reported before it seems that a game restart fixes the issue, launched the same craft as in the screen shot, and all stages dropped without issues(well..no strut issues at least lol). Sent that pic to a buddy of mine so I can get a better look. It really looks like the struts that are effected are internaly connected between the tank and a KW engine. I had all the tank/engines strutted in such a way, so not sure why it only happened to 2 out of 12 tanks.

Gonna try and replicate it again with different craft.

A small bug I found

If I use the stretchy tank as root part and then attach radial attachment points to the bottom to hold engine clusters the tanks clips with the attachment points when resized.

If I use the stretchy tank as root part and then attach radial attachment points to the bottom to hold engine clusters the tanks clips with the attachment points when resized.

This also happens when the tank is not the root part. Radially attached parts do not change their positions when the tank is resized. Only parts attached to the vertical stack nodes do.

Workaround: Add a second tank resized to "pancake" size, attach your engines there. Then add another tank to resize on top of it.

A small bug I found

Yes this is a known issue, since the mod leaves the surface attachments exactly where they are when resizing. For now, I would just wait to make any top and bottom surface attachments to the tank until after you've stretched it to the length you want. I'm currently looking into a way to move the surface attached parts with the stretching. However the code on surface attachments is frankly horrible (it doesn't even tell you where they are, which makes it kinda hard to know where to move them lol), but I'll see what I can do.

@AncientGammoner There's some discrepancy with tank Dry Mass when using Modular Fuels Tanks.

Rockomax X200

3200 Liquid Fuel Dry Mass 1.2

gHcV7Ysl.jpg

Stretchy Tank scaled to the same volume (almost)

3208 Liquid Fuel Dry Mass 2.807

UYkvbhul.jpg

Hope thats of some use to you.

Cheers.

Fix it to be higher or lower? lol

Heh, 1000 is pretty low I think but yes, he could be a little more precise.

BTW, someone was writing on another forum:

The stretchy fuel tanks are a bit bugged. When I quicksaved and reloaded, they were at full fuel again. They also have a bit of a problem with their model drifting compared to the rest of the ship during long burns.

I love this mod!

I wanted something like this and was thinking about eventually trying to build such a plugin myself. Well, you've saved me the task and done an excellent job of it. Thank you very much!

This is going to reduce part counts so much, what with all the struts I won't need.

My only issue with it is that the tanks seem indestructible. I followed my launch stage to splashdown at >300m/s and the tank just bobbed in the water.

I am looking forward to this, and testing at this time.

I hope to see the 5 meter products included as well, and tanks for all various fuels and other resources. As mentioned earlier, will it be possible to change / create the other types of 'tanks' that are needed in the game?

thanks.

Thank you for making this, AncientGammoner! Using your tanks, I was able to rough together a UR-700 booster. The beast took over 11 minutes to get to orbit, but so far so good!

Heh, 1000 is pretty low I think but yes, he could be a little more precise.

BTW, someone was writing on another forum:

The refilling bug should be fixed in v0.1.1. Not really sure what "model drifting" means exactly. If its really an issue have the person post a screenshot here and I'll look into it.

@AncientGammoner There's some discrepancy with tank Dry Mass when using Modular Fuels Tanks.

Rockomax X200

3200 Liquid Fuel Dry Mass 1.2

Stretchy Tank scaled to the same volume (almost)

3208 Liquid Fuel Dry Mass 2.807

I realized halfway through testing you were using RealFuels (nothing showed up as wrong without that). Well, a clean install with just StretchyTanks and ModularFuelTanks with RealFuels for me shows a drymass of only 0.4 for the Rockomax X200 and the stretchytank was 2 like it should be. And seeing as the dry mass of the Rockomax X200 is actually 2, and nothing in my code touches other fuel tanks, that's gotta be Modular Fuel Tanks or something else screwing with the drymass values somehow. What other mods are you running?

Lower, it's to big. Is it problem of wrong mesh?

I checked around a little at other mods, KW rocketry's fuel tanks have a breakingforce/torque of up to 80,000 lol. Now as far as crash tolerance, that is fairly irrelevant anyways because if your ship crashes, does it matter if the fuel tanks survives or not? (all of Novapunch's fuel tanks have a crash tolerance of 160 by comparison)

My only issue with it is that the tanks seem indestructible. I followed my launch stage to splashdown at >300m/s and the tank just bobbed in the water.

The crash tolerance is set at 100 m/s, so if it hits something at 300 m/s technically it should explode.

I hope to see the 5 meter products included as well

If by "5 meter" you mean the largest size tank in the Novapunch pack, then yes this includes that size (which is technically "4m" because of the weird way the game scales everything up by 1.25).

and tanks for all various fuels and other resources. As mentioned earlier, will it be possible to change / create the other types of 'tanks' that are needed in the game?

I'm working toward having an interface in the future where you can select the type of tank. In the mean time, if you want to fill the tanks with other resources you can try out Modular Fuel Tanks with this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.