[0.21.1] Flag Decals and Flagpole [New File Structure]

StarVision

Sometime in the past someone requested a simple flag part they could stick onto their craft. I delivered and went beyond just that.

Changelog

August 22nd: Changed file structure for the last time and tweaked crash tolerance.

August 20th-2: Added vertical rounded decals and made all parts fit better.

August 20th: Fixed major bug in Round decals cfg files.

Includes:

-Flat Decals (Flat Surfaces)

-Rounded Decals (Fuel Tanks)

-Vertial Rounded Decals(Fuel Tanks)-Flag Pole (Radially)

[Decals come in 0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m, and 3.75m]

The flag changes to your mission flag when you launch your craft. It is compatible with Novapunch and KWRocketry packs and most likely all other fuel tanks in other packs

FMRSYro.png

mH9spkT.jpg?2

Spaceport link:

fBMTWGb.png

License

You are not allowed to distribute this mod or modify it unless given permission. You may however modify it for personal use as long as you don't distribute it.

Edited by StarVision

Could you make the round and flat decals thinner? They're far too thick for my liking. Looks les like a decal and more like a big fat plaque.

Appreciate the mod though. The flag pole is just perfect.

I second this. Also nice would be decals that align the flag vertically down the side of tanks.

EDIT: also, the zip download doesn't conform to the standard KSP mod filestructure. You should definitely remedy that quickly.

Edited by Zeroignite

This is a nice update. It's also a good candidate for the .20+ part cloning - you only need three models / textures for the entire pack, and you can apply scaling to get the different sizes (even with the flat parts - you can scale X and Z, and leave Y at 1.0, and have parts that look identical to your models). It took me 10 minutes to do it here, and I'd be happy to share the config changes. Granted, the flag decals are not a heavy resource hog like some sets, but every bit helps.

One request for a future update, if it's possible: a flag pole that lies flush that can be deployed (like the AIES CommTech CL-1 antenna, if you're familiar with it). I can't put the flag pole on my rover, since its lander / skycrane sits right above it. If I could fold the flag down, and then raise it once the rover drives clear of the lander, that would be awesome. Until then, I'll use the flat decals on the front and back of the rover chassis.

This is a nice update. It's also a good candidate for the .20+ part cloning - you only need three models / textures for the entire pack, and you can apply scaling to get the different sizes (even with the flat parts - you can scale X and Z, and leave Y at 1.0, and have parts that look identical to your models). It took me 10 minutes to do it here, and I'd be happy to share the config changes. Granted, the flag decals are not a heavy resource hog like some sets, but every bit helps.
This interests me.

I just tested this and I am slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like this a lot but I expected a bit more.

First thing I noticed is flag size, they are a bit small. I'd prefer the curved flags to be roughly one quarter of the tank circumference. And second I've noticed a small bug: the curved flags aren't curved. They are curved in the VAB/SPH but are flat on the launchpad.

I just tested this and I am slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like this a lot but I expected a bit more.

First thing I noticed is flag size, they are a bit small. I'd prefer the curved flags to be roughly one quarter of the tank circumference. And second I've noticed a small bug: the curved flags aren't curved. They are curved in the VAB/SPH but are flat on the launchpad.

Ah, sorry. I know exactly what the problem is there. I have already fixed it and posted it on Spaceport.

I would strongly suggest redownloading now.

About the fact that they stick out a bit, It is kind of inevitable for some of them, as they need space to fit all tanks of that size, without annoying bumps sticking out, however, I'm sure they can still be refined more. I know the flat 2.5m decal is almost perfect when placed on the delta wing. The other suggestions should be easy enough to implement, although I have never actually done any animation, so that will have to be put on hold.

The size is right for my applications, but that's my opinion.

[ never mind editing suggestions, since StarVision made changes ]

Edited by MOARdV
Cross-posted with StarVision fixing flat/round decal

StarVision, I was unable to find a license for this mod. Could you select one and add it to the first post? Thanks!

Oh, sorry. I forgot this was a different thread. I'll get the one from my other thread over here.

Awesome :)

Your file structure is still wonky though. Should be /GameData/modname/parts/partfolders

It doesn't really matter, but I'll change it anyways. Of course releasing a new version that only changes the file structure is kind of pointless, so I'll just include it in the next release, which will probably be the animated flag.

Great job on fixing the curved flags, now they wrap just as they should.

Found another minor bug: The new vertical flags don't mirror correctly in the SPH. If one side of your vehicle is right side up the other side is up side down. All others mirror correctly, just the verticals do not.

Two more thoughts on the next version:

1) you included you .gitignore in the DL, which is a little silly.

2) the impact tolerance on the decals is set to 1, so they're basically tissue paper. I don't think it should be very high (7 is a good number), but having it that low doesn't play nice with the G-effects from Deadly Reentry.

It's nice to slap a huge flag on my rockomax tanks and feel like my rocket is actually mine :)

Great job on fixing the curved flags, now they wrap just as they should.

Found another minor bug: The new vertical flags don't mirror correctly in the SPH. If one side of your vehicle is right side up the other side is up side down. All others mirror correctly, just the verticals do not.

I think that might be beyond my control, unless I make a custom fuel tank(which really defeats the purpose), or have a part that is actually two flags in one, but still attached the same way.

Two more thoughts on the next version:

1) you included you .gitignore in the DL, which is a little silly.

2) the impact tolerance on the decals is set to 1, so they're basically tissue paper. I don't think it should be very high (7 is a good number), but having it that low doesn't play nice with the G-effects from Deadly Reentry.

It's nice to slap a huge flag on my rockomax tanks and feel like my rocket is actually mine :)

1) whats that? where?

2) I had previously set them too high, so I guess I didn't need to cut them back that much. I'l adjust it and re-upload it.

Edit: Done

Edited by StarVision

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.