Ship Causes Game to Crash

Hey all, so I can't help myself from building gigantic ships. Last night I built one so big that the game freezes when I go to launch it. The one time I did get it to launch, the frames and lag were so bad that it was taking a full minute after hitting the space bar for the action to set in.

Any tips?

EDIT: Also, any idea if this will get better with future updates?

Edited by DrGonzo
Marked as answered.

Can you post up your system specs and maybe a list of any plugins you're running?

I'd expect it to get better in future updates. Remember that KSP is alpha software not a 100% polished & optimised finished game. The game engine (unity) is also under continuous development, I'd imagine that if they added features Squad could use to get us more FPS then the Squad would be on it like a shot :)

I'm running:

i7 930 bloomfield 2.8 overclocked to 4.09

GTX 760s in SLI

6g Ram

250gig SSD

The only plugins I'm using are:

Editor Extensions by MachXXV

Docking Port Alignment Indicator by NavyFish

Subassembly Manager by TheUndeadFish

This particular ship doesn't use parts from subassembly manager. But I have used the Editor Extensions on it. The thing is quite huge. I'll let you know the exact number of pieces when I get home later. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Hey Gonzo,

I have encountered that a lot. I like building big and complicated (looking) things to the point where I end up with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of parts. It gets to the point where even if I build, the game would freeze of quit to desktop and I am not even talking about launching or reverting back to VAB. Generally I would crash 7-8 out of 10 times. FPS was pretty annoying at launch, and I am not even talking about docking with that thing.

It is definitely the current limitations of the game. It uses only 1 core and 4 gigs of ram (I have 16 of ddr3) due to it being 32-bit like Keome said.

The game will definitely be optimized as it currently only in Alpha.

I sincerely hope it will be able to go beyond 4 gigs but that would require to make the game 64bit. As for CPU, I am sure it will get more efficient with the physics.

For now I am trying to limit my self to only maybe 100-250 parts per vessel. It is actually a good practice because you will get more efficient and figure out what you actually NEED on that ship and then add all the bells and whistles.

just an imo

If you haven't already turn the delta time physics slider all the way down to .03 and disable any and all vsync options. Other then that.. get yourself some part packs. It sounds counter intuitive I know. But with a pack like NovaPunch/American/Soviet you can put 300 tons into orbit and keep the lifter well under 300 parts. That's the true advantage of mods imo. By all means keep the payload stock if you wish. And just use the bigger, more powerful ( some scary powerful ) mod parts to put it in orbit.

Edited by Motokid600

It depends from computer to computer. If you look around the forums here, there's a user called Whackjob - he's using only a 2.54Ghz processor, yet he launched ships up to 1400 parts with relative ease.

I'm on a 2Ghz processor at 4 GB of RAM. I've launched slightly over 250 parts without really being hindered very much by lag.

I'm currently launching a huge module for the KCBP - ill report back when i see how much parts i need there, and when mine starts to lag.

Thanks so much everyone. I understand a lot more about the capabilities of the game. I've taken the advice of many and am trying to build optimized ships. I still love this game and have logged over 100 hours already. I really appreciated the thoughtful responses.

Now if I can only figure out how to mark this thread as answered...

Thanks a lot man! I want to mark this thread as answered due to your response but I can't figure out how. I still love the game and for now I'm working on more stream lined designs. What I love about playing alpha versions is that you learn so much by playing within the limitations of the early versions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.