Made it to Duna!

JHarvey

Two Toxic Tommys docked together. I guess I could just keep stacking them up until I have enough fuel.

XoC9LCN.jpg

I'm going to bring some small capsule up and try to place it in orbit around one of the planets using this as the primary thruster.

I'll dump some of the atomic engines and tanks as the fuel is used.

Not the prettiest trajectory, but I made it. I'm still not doing any math or planning. I'm still on the T.L.A.R mission planning. But now that I am building some skill I may actually try to organize my space program.

jZxxNjl.png

And here we are. I've have achieved orbit around Jool. It's a nicely elliptical orbit that takes just beyond the orbit of the closest moon. I figure I'll establish an orbiting station for exploration of the Joolian system, or maybe I'll find out if I have enough fuel to return home.

pTtLmnk.png

You can always send automatic tanker to refuel your main ship (of course if transfer window allows for it ;) ) Or, you can start building refuelling station in Jool system.

That was the whole idea behind the Toxic Tommy. I was working on a way to lift one orange tank into orbit, with a docking port on each end. I could then use it as fuel tanks for interplanetary ships. As the craft developed a fellow Kerbolnaut suggested adding atomic engines. What I ended up with was a cool combo stage that can be used for just about anything. I can get it into orbit with almost full fuel. It has solar panels, huge mono tank, and the extra tanks and engines can be jettisoned. The beauty is that it has a Clamp-o-tron Sr on each end.

Do you use Kethane mod?

I'm not using any mods at this point. I think I want to just play the stock version for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to take a more 'planned' approach to my space program. Now that I have a grasp of the basics I am going to try to progress in an organized manner.

Job 1 - bring everyone home.

So far I've managed to get the Kerbalnauts back from Mun, but there are still a couple on Duna. My last rescue attempt left another one stranded. I need to develop a lander that is capable of putting at least two Kerbals in orbit from the surface.

I think the best plan is to build a station and start experimenting with unmanned landers.

Job 2 - Rescue Jool Station.

I did put a small station in orbit around Jool, but to my surprise it is now at escape velocity and is on a trajectory to escape the system. It's orbit was fairly elliptical and did take it outside the orbit of Jool's first moon. I have to assume that it got a slingshot launch from the moon.

It should have enough fuel to decelerate back into a stable orbit around Kerbol, but i'm not sure what I'll do after that.

Capt. James "Ace" Harvey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.