Made it to Duna!

JHarvey

I've been playing KSP for a couple of weeks now. I only have a couple of hours a day, but it sure has been fun.

I'm playing totally stock at this point, and using my signature T.L.A.R method (That Looks About Right) to do things because I am to lazy for math.

I have a small station in Kerbin orbit. I have a smaller station in Munar orbit. There are also 3 landers on the moon in close proximity. So I've learned how to achieve orbit, rendezvous, dock and land on the Mun.

I figured the next logical mission was to fly to and land on Duna.

It took 4 trys, but I made it!! and little Sigbo Kerman is standing on Duna. He'll be there until I figure out how to go and pick him up!

Here is part of the ship that I used to get to Duna. This is the main thruster portion. I flew it up to the orbiting station and then brought the lander up separately because I couldn't figure out how to do it any other way.

uiHcLa3.jpg

Edited by JHarvey
Add proper URL

The main thruster at the station waiting for the lander portion to arrive.

xIhdGzv.png

I didn't get the burn right and there was no intercept point for Duna.

xcpQdhL.png

Using my T.L.A.R method I picked a spot to do a correction burn and it worked.

uNYWkVh.png

Each time to Duna was a bit different, but I made it to the planet each time.

The first time I arrived the small solar panels were obscured and the batteries were dead.

So I added larger solar panels.

jjaQ414.jpg

The second attempt ended in a fiery explosion after I bounced off of the surface and damaged my lander.

niWnI7p.jpg

qLkORvh.jpg

I ran out of fuel during the third attempt and couldn't decelerate into Dunar orbit.

The fourth attempt went well.

cYO04xC.png

And I managed to perform my best landing yet.

0Xp07jv.jpg

I just I need to go back and get Sigbo.

GPiPBM7.jpg

Edited by JHarvey

Kraken ate them! :sticktongue: Nice ship. Does it have enough dV to return from Duna? If not, i suggest getting rid of the Mainsail. Instead put four LV-N engines under those smaller tanks. *BAM* Instant nuclear powered transfer stage with more dV.

Kraken ate them! :sticktongue: Nice ship. Does it have enough dV to return from Duna? If not, i suggest getting rid of the Mainsail. Instead put four LV-N engines under those smaller tanks. *BAM* Instant nuclear powered transfer stage with more dV.

Yes, nukes are the way to go.

This isn't a writing! It's... it's a mission report!

OMG, you are right. Quick, let's burn him at the stake. :/

Nice job JHarvey! You are getting there. :)

Delta-V is not the problem. Fuel is the issue. The lander doesn't have enough fuel to reach orbit, and the thruster stage in orbit doesn't have enough fuel to return home.

I have another ship on the way with more fuel.

Yes, nukes are the way to go.

OMG, you are right. Quick, let's burn him at the stake. :/

Nice job JHarvey! You are getting there. :)

Thanks, but getting there is not the problem, getting back is the problem!

But yeah, I am learning, and having a lot of fun in the meantime!

I'll do better once I start keeping notes and doing calculations, but for now it's all "yankin' and bankin'". Although I do feel bad about stranded Kerbals.

I've seen the nuclear powered engines mentioned, but I'm not sure what they are or how to use them.

It would be nice to be able to lift more into orbit.

Here is the ship I was going to rescue Sigbo with. Unfortunately Jedcas flew it all the way to Duna and then realized it didn't have enough fuel to land!!

I guess I'll start building an orbiting station so that I can stage fuel, etc. for a return trip.

I've seen the nuclear powered engines mentioned, but I'm not sure what they are or how to use them.

It would be nice to be able to lift more into orbit.

Unfortunately LV-N (or NERVA) engines are terrible choice for any lifter working in atmosphere and high gravity. They are heavy, their thrust is too low, and their Isp (or fuel effectiveness) takes huge hit in atmosphere. So on such lifter you NEED chemical engines. But when you are finally in space, NERVA shines due to its unparalelled specific impulse (Isp). In a nutshell - they burn fuel very, very efficiently. Mainsail will burn fuel in Jumbo tank in less than a minute. NERVA attached to full Jumbo will push your ship to Duna - and back if your ship is light and you know how to do interplanetary transfer properly.

Unfortunately LV-N (or NERVA) engines are terrible choice for any lifter working in atmosphere and high gravity. They are heavy, their thrust is too low, and their Isp (or fuel effectiveness) takes huge hit in atmosphere. So on such lifter you NEED chemical engines. But when you are finally in space, NERVA shines due to its unparalelled specific impulse (Isp). In a nutshell - they burn fuel very, very efficiently. Mainsail will burn fuel in Jumbo tank in less than a minute. NERVA attached to full Jumbo will push your ship to Duna - and back if your ship is light and you know how to do interplanetary transfer properly.

Where do I find this engine? Is it a stock part? I am trying to play stock only.

By that I mean it went in the mission report forum.

EDIT : The NERVA is stock. It is the longest (Rather tallest) engine.

Oh, I see. I'm new here. Sorry.

I found the NERVA engine and added it to the 4 external tanks I was using for fuel. My rocket design allows me to get into orbit without using the fuel from the last orange tank, or any of the 4 smaller tanks.

So I am on the way to Duna. The 4 small tanks are about 1/2 empty, and the orange tank has not been touched. I should be able to rendezvous with Nedcas in Dunar orbit and refuel his lander. Hopefully then he can land on Duna and pick up Sigbo. If the lander is able to achieve orbit (fingers crossed) I should be able to bring them both home. Sit-rep to follow.

oEC6jy1.jpg

Aw, snap!

Nedcas came in a bit hot and went out in a blaze of glory and rocket fuel! I think it's a moot point because there wasn't a lot of fuel left anyway. I think he might have made orbit after lift off, but that would just leave him stranded, floating around in orbit with 3 empty thrusters nearby.

But, now that we know the atomic engine scenario works, we can refine our technique to avoid having to waste fuel doing correction burns and excess maneuvering. With this ship I should be able to fly to Duna and achieve orbit carrying a payload of one large orange fuel tank fuel of fuel. I can establish a orbital station here.

See? Nukes are the way to go :D To increase efficiency even further, get rid of Mainsail on the transfer stage. It's very inefficient fuel-wise when you are in space, and it weights a lot. Personally i would put Clamp-o-tron Sr. there.

See? Nukes are the way to go :D

Yes they are. Thanks for the help on that one guys.

To increase efficiency even further, get rid of Mainsail on the transfer stage. It's very inefficient fuel-wise when you are in space, and it weights a lot. Personally i would put Clamp-o-tron Sr. there.

That is exactly what I am trying to achieve. I want to be able to lift an orange tank into orbit with a Clamp-o-tron Sr. on each end so that I can build ships in orbit. But they keep failing at the docking ports during lift off.

Any ideas?

This is the Toxic Tommy. It has a docking port on each end, atomic engines, solar panels and a bunch of mono. I am developing the main stage for an inter planetary explorer.

I recently flew a version with only 4 engines to Duna.

I have a smaller ship that I use to lift modules into orbit, which I dock at my space station and hot dog stand.

dsRDDI4.jpg

Pretty, simple, multi-use transfer stage. A tip: if you still need more fuel sometimes, launch a medium 3-meter tank with Clampy Sr. and dock it to Toxic. Transfer fuel from attached tank as needed, and when it's empty drop it immediately. It should give you enough dV for Dres or Jool.

Pretty, simple, multi-use transfer stage. A tip: if you still need more fuel sometimes, launch a medium 3-meter tank with Clampy Sr. and dock it to Toxic. Transfer fuel from attached tank as needed, and when it's empty drop it immediately. It should give you enough dV for Dres or Jool.

That's the plan. Tommy has a docking port on each end for expanding the ship. I should be able to stack them up also.

I managed to get this ship into orbit almost completely full of fuel. I am going to stage a couple of them at my orbiting station for refueling.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.