Stranded: Rescuing Jebediah Kerman

The Jedi Master

Part One

Or, why you should always bring more fuel than you need

The Armstrong 12 was to be a simple mission. Land on the Mun, say something cool, plant a flag, do some science, go home. Jebediah Kerman took the job, stating that the Mun is his favorite celestial body, because it's 'so classic'. He said he would live there if he could.

It seems the universe has a sense of humor.

The fuel margin was tight, you see. The lander was extremely small, and was direct ascent based. It looked like something a 'noob' would build, in Jebs own words. Bob was perfectly fine with that, but preferred to stay home, and watch TV. Bill said that he was already slated for the Aldrin 4 mission headed for Minmus. Jeb, as mentioned, was enthusiastic.

"Three... two... one... liftoff!"

f9cUpvr.jpg

Bob and Bill looked up into the sky. As the ship flew upwards, they watched, half awed, half bored. Bob turned to Bill.

"You think he'll be okay?"

"Bob, that's pretty much guaranteed. Jeb is a good man, he can figure his way out of anything."

"Well, that thing looks like it doesn't have much fuel."

"He'll figure it out. I'm gonna talk with Wherner about Aldrin 4, what are you gonna do?"

"Play some poker with Tomlo. Tell me when we send a mission to a nice, safe place. Like Laythe."

"Yeah, whatever, Bob."

As Bob ran off, Bill took one more look at the rocket--by now well into it's gravity turn and nothing but a blue speck in the sky--and then headed to the VAB...

Soon...

kv3lyih.png

Gene looked at the screen. He didn't like what he saw.

"Uh, Jeb, you're still doing the circularization burn. You're gonna need to be more careful with the fuel, especially now."

"Hey, don't worry! I'm almost done with the burn. Everything will be fine."

"I hope so..."

"Burn complete, by the way."

"All right, wait for Munrise and burn. Please, be careful."

Later...

Jebediah felt the rush of adrenaline as the Armstrong 12 came slowly down.

"Coming down... nice and slow... just like always. 100 meters... 50 meters... 10 meters... there! The Armstrong 12 has landed!"

"Uh Jeb, it seems you're on a slope, what's your..."

"Working on it."

"...Fuel situation..."

Jeb maneuvered the ship off the slope and onto the plateau near the crater. Expert, just as always.

"Jeb, please tell us your fuel situation."

"Uh let me check... oh, no."

"What?"

"32.5 units. Not nearly enough to get home from Minmus, let alone off the Mun."

Gene sighed. This is what he feared.

"Jeb, we'll get a rescue ship to you as soon as possible."

"All right. Not that I mind it here, just a bit lonely..."

Z4FSQwq.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.