Bigger charges with batteries/probe cores

This is something I always found kind of odd. The amount of charge in probe cores is TINY. For example, sputnik the first satellite ever placed into orbit had batteries onboard that lasted for 22 days. Explorer 1 lasted for nearly 4 months before running out of charge. Though in KSP if you don't slap 2 tons worth of batteries on your probe you'll run out in a matter of minutes.

IMO each probe/capsule should be able to power itself for atleast 7-12 kerbal days (Realize that the MET is real time, and that kerbin has 4 days for every 1 counted on the ingame timers). With more advanced probes/capsules getting slightly bigger charges.

Anybody else agree? Or am i just being nit picky?

Edit : Also batteries should be scaled up alongside probes/capsules so their not rendered useless.

Edited by Subcidal

I agree, sort of.

As is, it requires you to either use an RTG or batteries and a solar panel, which isn't so bad. However, batteries add extra part(s), which isn't so good.

Personally, I wish there was something like MFS for partmodules in the game.

You can already use procedural tanks with mods. Look it up on the spaceport! :D

A charge of roughly 25 units lasts a standard stock probe core through the dark portion of a low Kerbin orbit, so I'd be very happy if the default charge amount was increased. Different levels of internal battery could help balance the stock probes, which at the moment are only differentiated in shape and mass.

On the other hand, changing electricity generation or storage (e.g. smaller batteries) may be a better option for game balance. I do agree that battery powered probes are a little underpowered (no pun intended) right now.

You can already use procedural tanks with mods. Look it up on the spaceport! :D

That has nothing to do with what I said?

I know about StretchyTanks already.

What I want to be able to do is "this part has x internal space. I'll put in an ASAS for y space and z mass, but I don't need batteries for this mission, saving w mass".

Or, in different terms, I want to be able to customize what goes into a part. Have each part have a maximum internal volume, and be able to choose relatively freely from there. You want RCS in this command pod? OK, but you'll need to get rid of something else to do it - if you ditch the internal reaction wheels you'll be able to fit 100 units of monopropellant in. That sort of thing.

Honestly, I find the 4K batteries completely OP since I can never find a use for so much electricity. The batteries need a nerf or electricity costs need to go up substantially if anything.

Nah.

The larger batteries are actually useful now if you have a large craft - reaction control wheels are power-hungry.

Honestly, I find the 4K batteries completely OP since I can never find a use for so much electricity. The batteries need a nerf or electricity costs need to go up substantially if anything.

It takes more than one 4K battery just to let a QBE probe core and four sensors last through a full night on the Mun--4053 units of charge, in fact.

It takes more than one 4K battery just to let a QBE probe core and four sensors last through a full night on the Mun--4053 units of charge, in fact.
"A full night on the Mun" is also known as fifteen days. This kind of thing is what RTGs were made for.

"A full night on the Mun" is also known as fifteen days. This kind of thing is what RTGs were made for.

It's fifteen days in the real world, but less than one on the Mun. Besides, the Lunokhod rovers didn't have an RTG--they remained stationary on the Moon during the night, and recharged with a solar panel during the day, without losing power. (They did have a radioactive heater, but it didn't produce electricity.)

It's fifteen days in the real world, but less than one on the Mun. Besides, the Lunokhod rovers didn't have an RTG--they remained stationary on the Moon during the night, and recharged with a solar panel during the day, without losing power. (They did have a radioactive heater, but it didn't produce electricity.)
Er, the Lunokhod series did nothing during the Lunar night. They were basically put into sleep mode, conserving as much energy as possible until the next sunrise. So, not quite the same. ^_^

Er, the Lunokhod series did nothing during the Lunar night. They were basically put into sleep mode, conserving as much energy as possible until the next sunrise. So, not quite the same. ^_^

Sure, but a few passive sensors shouldn't exactly drain a ton of energy, if you ask me. It should be possible to have a simple measuring station on the Mun without needing a battery the size of the current 4K--the thing would make up over 50% of the weight of a measuring station!

Nah.

The larger batteries are actually useful now if you have a large craft - reaction control wheels are power-hungry.

Just yesterday actually, I flew a full mission from Kerbin to my Mun space station (resupplying mission) equipped with a 4K battery pack. I completely forgot to open my solar panels (YEEEEEEEAAAH!) until I had inserted myself into a stable Mun orbit and despite using LV-909s (which don't produce electricity) and performing the amount of turns via reaction wheels that would constitute an average trans-Mun flight, I was still there with adequate power. So yeah, nerf those batteries!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.