We do it because it is hard... the Eeloo Challenge

Wow that's a lot of struts! I'll message you about gravity assists.

...It's all downhill from this point. A decimal point in the wrong place means that Bill doesn't have enough fuel to reach the Command Module. Desperately, he dons his spacesuit and attempts to fire his jetpack into a rendezvous with the module.

Thanks :) also yes, considering the base is roughly 200 tons the struts were necessary due to ascent acceleration +20m/s. They went away when I ditched the mainsails. The lifter stage total was 2000 tons :D and surprisingly easy to maneuver due to proper staging and constant TWR between 1.5 and 2.3 on ascent.

My fourth attempt, Munfrod died of a freak life support failure despite having plenty of oxygen and nowhere near maximum CO2. Looks like the CO2 built up in the pod and, under time acceleration, didn't properly shift over to the fully empty CO2 storage in the recycler. Darnit.

My fourth-and-a-half attempt, never going beyond 10,000x acceleration, has reached Eeloo (year 2 day 119) and MUNFROD IS STILL ALIVE!! Woo! Rejoice! The comm sats and mapping/kethane sat are deployed, and Munfrod will be making his two week surface expedition once mapping is complete.

Synapse, that is a clean, sharp, stable looking ship. How have you got the drop tanks set up, two batches of four tanks? I did four batches of two tanks, and I'm not sure the extra complexity is really worth it. I hope that's a probe body I see just forward of the batteries on the CM, does the ship have enough dV to rescue Bill?

If you get a chance, I'd appreciate a copy of your notes on gravity assists too. I get the basic concept of how I can use one to add velocity, I just don't understand how to line one up so it takes me someplace I want to go. I always end up adding more dV to a midcourse correction than I save on ejection.

Hejnfelt, that's a lot of greenhouses you're sending to Eeloo, which as I understand it is meant to one day become an ice moon around a Saturn-like planet. Will you be adding Freeman Kerman to you crew list? He even comes with

!

Ok, so tonight Prometheus made it to Eeloo. I claim a score of 12745. See album and details below.

Prometheus is a 200 ton fully self sustainable settlement base housing 126 Kerbals. The 8 greenhouses produce enough food (monopropellant) for 250 Kerbals so they should live a happy fat life. In my imagination, the greenhouses also produce enough oxygen for the Kerbals their waste is used to fertilize the greenhouses. The compressors in the bottom of the vessel refine the water supply on board and store excess waste. The fan module in the middle acts as life support circulating the internal air (despite the fans being on the outside). The base comes equipped with short range antennas for Eeloo system communication and long range antennas for Kerbol system communication and a nice viewing deck in the top which I imagine gets crowded in the evenings.

MfZIodx.jpg

Prometheus journey can be seen here

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Prometheus has a sister ship. Athena. A 200 ton science ship, she brings a team of 64 Kerbal scientists, 12 satellites for Eeloo system deployment, 6 science facilities, 3 rovers and one 2 part space station to orbit Eeloo. The space station can dock with prometheus' tug which then will act as tanker. Each part of the space station is also a fully capable vessel with enough Delta-v to shuttle Kerbals from Eeloo surface to orbit and back to Kerbin. Athena also carries living quarters and facilities for her occupants. All science facilities carry enough fuel to make the trip back to Kerbin if necessary. But lets hope not as this is a permanent settlement mission.

Athena will be making the trip to Eeloo soon.

Pk7iepT.jpg

At the present moment with only Prometheus on Eeloo I claim the following preliminary score:

Party in the house - 50 pts per Kerbal landed alive on Eeloo: 126 x 50 = 6300pts

Mission control - 50 pts as part of the mission you deploy a space station in the Eeloo system from your primary vehikle.: The prometheus tug was left in 35km Eeloo orbit. It has communication gear, refueling capabilities and docking capabilities = 50pts

We're here... now what - 20 pts per mission expansion. For every things you bring with you to do while on Eeloo. This can be Kethane, Extraplanetary, solar farming, mining, fuel recycling, probe deployment, whatever. Point on the part on the ship prelaunch and a pic of the deployment in the Eeloo system.: I claim solar farming for obvious reasons. = 20pts

Tab 'A' into slot 'B' - 25 pts per segment lifted from Kerbin for orbital construction. Complexity in mission craft should be rewarded.: Prometheus was only a 2 part vessel but I also lifted a tanker to top it up slightly. = 3 x 25 = 75pts

Want fries with that - 50 pts per fed Kerbal. Using the Duna Permanent settlement mission platform, take along representations of consumables like food and extra air. Each kerbal in the mission needs 3.1 kilos of consumables per day per kerbal or to make it easier 1 tonne equals 3 Kerbals for 100 days.: The greenhouses produce ample food and I claim 126 x 50 = 6300pts

Total preliminary score (until Athena arrives): 6300 + 50 + 20 + 75 + 6300 = 12745

Edited by Hejnfelt

is up.

I'm new to YouTube so please leave feedback. Anything you can think of to make it more interesting or entertaining would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

- Yar

Yar, I'm new to the YouTubes as well so take this for whatever you think it's worth.

I like your videos, they are very well produced, but I'm a bit put off by KSP videos where no one is talking. I don't want to read a video. Same reason I don't like subtitles in movies. Give me dubbed every single day.

And not just any talking. Enthusiastic talking. I think the reason Scott Manley and Harv from HOCGaming are so popular is because they are so darned enthusiastic. Just a hair over the top enthusiastic. It's something I'm really struggling with in my own videos. I'm not particularly enthusiastic by nature - that's why it takes three martinis.

Cheers

Well I've really wanted to do a grand mission since I started playing and this just seemed like the perfect opportunity :)

I know what you mean-- the spacecraft I used for my mission had a phenomenal amount of fuel to spare when I got back to Kerbin. One might think of that as a oversighted luxury of a design, but it's because I was planning on doing a rather sizable return mission to Moho when this contest came up.

But the thing that doesn't quite sit well with me is the fact that you had to go and upstage everybody else by a factor of about 1500%. At least we're not in the same category-- it'd be something to see for someone to do a mission like that entirely stock.

It'd be something to see for someone to do a mission like that entirely stock.

Yeah, well obviously it's possible if you have the patience. My biggest issue at the moment is the complexity of Athena. As it was assembled in orbit I'm not entirely sure of the part count but it is definitely in excess of 1000. Nevertheless I have rendezvoused with Prometheus's tug in orbit around Eeloo. Next step is disassembling Athena and deploying all sub vessels and satellites to their respective orbits or on the surface. Landing 6 science facilities next to Prometheus should prove an interesting challenge :D

Finally rearranged Athena's space station and satellite parts and docked with Prometheus's tug. Next step the space station will move to a 50km orbit from which the satellites will be deployed one by one. Stay tuned for Athena's full journey.

qicPV1x.jpg

Sure!

There are two versions of the craft; Version A is located here, and Version B is located here.

I recommend starting out with Version A; she's the more forgiving version to fly, with twice as much jet fuel and much better handling in the atmosphere. Version B is the extended range version (the one used for the Eeloo trip, as well as trips to Dres and Vall), but she's quite a bit heavier, a touch sluggish on the ascent out of the atmosphere, and much less forgiving to mistakes. Version A can manage the Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Duna, Ike, and Laythe; you'll need Version B for more difficult targets.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I was finally able to fly this spaceplane.

I suck at flying planes. I mean really suck. Your mom flies planes better than I do.

On my first flight, I achieved orbit. I ejected for the Mun. I achieved Munar orbit at 25km. I chose not to land because I suck at landing. I ejected from the Mun. Let's just say that, eventually, I was able to "rendezvous" with the runway at KSC.

This thing is AWESOME!

Thanks again.

TML (formerly misanthropia66)

screenshot63.jpg

screenshot65.jpg

I finally finished my Eeloo mission. Let me know if you like. My apologies for failing to record videos as i intended.

Phase 1: Unmanned Recon

4 Satellites in overwatch pettern = 105

3 Rovers landed = 75

7 science packages (4 sensors each) = 140

2 ships in mission profile = 50

Subtotal = 370

Phase 2: Hardware Delivery for 4

1 Chandra docked to Booster in Munar Orbit = 50

6 sections lifted from Kerbin (not counting lost Demeter-1 and Booster-4) = 150

Subtotal = 200

Phase 3: Kerbaling up Eeloo

2+3+3+4 sections lifted from Kerbin = 300

1 mission control = 50

8 Kerbal-fulls of fries (33t of dedicated supplies 11x Large RCS tanks: 8 kerbals * 5 years * 103% margin) = 400

Subtotal = 750

Phase 4: Housekeeping and Landing

3 more rovers landed = 75

2 additional science packages (incorporated into Fredly rovers) = 40

8 kerbals landed = 400

2 refuel trips in Chandra = 50

Subtotal = 565

Phase 5: Voyage Home

1 more refuel of the Nomad = 25

8 kerbals brought home safely = 400

1 All stock mission = 100

Subtotal = 525

MISSION TOTAL =2160

This challenge was great fun! Thanks again, alacrity for hosting!

Cheers!

- Yar

Man.

These submissions really make me want to ramp up my ambition.

All things considered though, I think I fared well for my very first mission out to such a distant target.

Edited by Blue

This challenge was great fun!

I second this, I'm having a ton of fun with it. So many "firsts" for me in this :D

I just finished my geosynchronous Walker satellite constellation the "Walker E-SAT network" with 100% continuous global coverage of Eeloo. Now I'm trying to figure out how to land my 6 science facilities right next to Prometheus.

The constellation consists of 12 satellites in 4 orbits inclined at 45 degrees with 3 satellites in each orbit, spaced 120 degrees apart.

If anyone's interested:

Walker Constellation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_constellation#Walker_Constellation

Source Report for optimal satellite configuration - http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1038&context=smallsat

Credit goes to Scott Manley for making this easy to understand video on how to space satellites evenly -

For this I calculated the 2/3 geosynchronous orbital period around Eeloo as 3h 36m 13s and created such an orbit with apoapsis of 683.69km from which I deposited the satellites one by one and used the satellite's ion engines to circularize them one by one at the apoapsis for geosynchronous position. After depositing 3, I changed inclination. I used 2 different (but similar) deployment vehicles to deploy 6 each. They later rendezvoused and became my Eeloo Space station sitting at 100km orbit. I also deorbited (crashed into Eeloo) the structural elements which were used to hold the satellites during transport. This was actually the first time I've made such a maneuver and as I had to do it with one of the deployment vessels I had to bring it back into orbit. I was quite happy when everything worked out alright :D

Pic of "Walker E-SAT 7" circularizing for its 45 degree orbit.

4dsSDDo.jpg

Pics of constellation. Notice how each orbit has 3 satellites spaced exactly 120 degrees apart :)

X6x0rdd.jpg

jv7aOC0.jpg

TL;DR: Final score - 19555

Today I managed to finish my mission to settle Eeloo.

Here's a summary:

On the surface:

- 186 Kerbals

- 1 Sky scraper living facility / solar farm / farm

- 3 Biological science facilities / farms

- 3 Technical science facilities / labs

- 3 Rovers

All facilities are self sustainable. Every kerbal is fed. All facilities have communication equipment and is fit for long term Eeloo settlement.

In orbit:

- 1 Space station consisting of 2 independent fully capable vessels housing 4 Kerbals and with room for 10 additional visitors.

- 1 empty atomic tug

- 1 Atomic tug acting as tanker which has full docking and communication capabilities.

- 12 satellites in geosynchronous orbit at 683.69 km arranged in a Walker constellation consisting of 4 orbits of 3 satellites spaced 120 degrees apart.

Score:

Total: 9300 + 50 + 75 + 100 + 75 + 300 + 9500 + 50 + 105 = 19555

Party in the house - 186 x 50 = 9300 pts

Mission control - 50 pts

Seeing the sites - 3 x 25 = 75 pts

We're here... now what - Solar farming, Special relativity time measurement of Eeloo by Walker E-SAT Network, Space station monitoring (has all KSP science sensors), Farming (food production), Eeloo surface experimentation = 5 x 20 = 100 pts

Tab 'A' into slot 'B':

- - - - - Prometheus: (Living facility, Tug, Tanker) 3 x 25 = 75 pts

- - - - - Athena: Tug, Tanker, 6 Science Facilities, 2 Space Station vessels, 2 x 6 Satellites - 12 x 25 = 300 pts

Want fries with that - 190 x 50 = 9500

Convoy - 2 x 25 = 50 pts

Can you hear me now? - 4 x 20 + 25 = 105 pts (Any bonus for a true Walker constellation?)

The full story:

When I originally read the challenge I was very excited. I had never ventured outside Kerbin's SOI and I really wanted to go somewhere - ANYWHERE! I immediately thought I was in over my head and I spent the first evening building and crashing, running out of fuel and completely missing my target (Eeloo). After maybe 10 tries I finally made a vessel with enough Delta-v to make it to Eeloo and back. I was ecstatic :D

While posting my achievement here I reread the challenge and immediately knew I had to challenge myself and create a long term base.

The first evenings were spent simply putting together the main vessel Prometheus. When it was done and tested on Kerbin, came the problem of lifting 200 ton Prometheus plus a 400-500 ton tug into space. Out of failure I was forced to lift Prometheus and its engine separately. The engine lifter stage was +4000 tons!!! Eventually though I had the formula right and Prometheus was assembled in Kerbin orbit.

While building Prometheus I didn't get to put as many thing on it as I wanted to. No rovers, satellites or space station. The idea for Athena was quickly born. I already had the engine stage design and started by trying to build a Prometheus copy that could slice into 8 different segments. Eventually it proved too difficult to stabilize due to the instability of decouplers in general. And so Athena was born in many segments first assembled in the VAB and the lifted one by one into orbit where she was assembled and refueled.

Prometheus and Athena set sail for Eeloo. Below are 6 screenshot albums detailing:

- Prometheus launch, orbital assembly, trip to Eeloo and landing

- Athena assembly

- Athena trip to Eeloo

- Walker E-SAT network deployment in geosynchronous orbit around Eeloo

- Athena Space station deployment

- Athena Science Facilities landing

Prometheus:

Athena assembly:

Athena trip to Eeloo

Walker E-SAT network deployment in geosynchronous orbit around Eeloo

Athena Space station deployment

Athena Science Facilities landing

I hope people enjoyed this challenge as much as I did. It was a great learning experience.

Alacrity, thank you for taking the time to write up and post this challenge.

Edited by Hejnfelt

Staging an Eeloo mission as I type this.... currently in the refueling stage...

It is a four man (Kerbal) mission... one small rover on the lander, one big rover with methane abilities, six satellites (two kethane, four ComSats). Two manned lander.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Gemini/AAP Style Eeloo Mission

How about sending a Big Gemini to Eeloo? Why not! Bring a space station to leave behind? Sure! Satellites, landers, eleven kerbals to Eeloo and seven landing back on Kerbin. Four kerbals left on Eeloo station for further research. Yeah, we'll go back and get them later. Maybe..

SmKK7Mj.png

A modest entry, and didn't even bring a rover, but reusing the S5 and Big Gemini hardware from the AAP Challenge and the LM from the Doing It Apollo Style Challenge. It was a single vessel to Eeloo orbit, but two landings on separate Apollo-style two stage landers. One landing went to the highlands for white Eeloo dirt and the other went to a valley for brown Eeloo dirt. The four crew who did the landing missions plus the three crew command module pilots returned to Kerbin.

G0K6Zx9.png

Getting there and back required a S5 style lifter to carry the CM, two LMs and station module. The second launch was five orange tanks and four nuclear engines. This was only practical with asparagus staging, so no S5 lifter. For some reason, the drive section had a tendency to develop a destructive resonance. This was traced to the satellites on the drive stage which were mounted at a slight angle to permit safe deployment. After turning off the satellites, all was well. The third launch was another S5 with a modified SII section with RCS and a docking port. The SII refueled the transfer stage and was dropped. The SIV-B assisted the four nuclear engines for the Eeloo burn.

Two orange tanks were dropped during the inclination change but there was still one full orange tank left when Eeloo capture was complete. Lowering the altitude around Eeloo used some of that, but there was still plenty left for a Kerbin return burn. The four satellites were deployed at an altitude of 1000000m for no other reason than it was easy to read on the altimeter and at 45 degree inclinations.

Already planning an Apollo CM style return mission to get the four kerbals still on Eeloo station, but getting out to Eeloo is.. well.. HARD! :D

Thanks to alacrity for crafting this challenge!

Lifting off from Eeloo

3jhgs.gif

• Party in the house (4) - 200 pts
  • Mission control - 50 pts
  • There and back again (7) - 350 pts
  • Just visiting - 25 pts
  • Last years model - 100 pts. All Stock mission.
  • Tab 'A' into slot 'B' (2) - 50 pts
  • Can you hear me now? (4) - 20 pts per satellite + Full coverage bonus for getting 4 satellites up of 25 pts = 105 pts

880 pts

Eeloo Big Gemini Mission

Edited by Death Engineering

How about sending a Big Gemini to Eeloo? Why not! Bring a space station to leave behind? Sure! Satellites, landers, eleven kerbals to Eeloo and seven landing back on Kerbin. Four kerbals left on Eeloo station for further research. Yeah, we'll go back and get them later. Maybe..

I like this entry a lot, especially your use of structural panels :)

Already been to Eeloo once, and I was going to do so again as I "took for a spin" a variant of my main in-system ship to test if it is Eeeloo capable.

So I might as well show it off here :P

screenshot401.png

Here's the two ships in formation flying. The ship in the foreground has been used so far to plant a flag on every solid body in the system except Eve & Tylo, without changing a single thing ever since it's original design (originally made for Duna. I overengineered a bit). They are also fully reusable and under 100 parts each.

The ship in the background, is the light, sport's version version of it, featuring a variety of revolutionary features, like:

- a pointier nose

- better handling

- better acceleration

- 10.000 of delta-v

screenshot323.png

Sexy promotion shot of the sport model.

screenshot406.png

And away it goes.

screenshot408.png

Kerbin Escape burn. Now, this being a toy for rich Kerbal Billionaires, the ship doesn't really have many scientific instruments on board (just a smartphone really).

As a result, my mission pretty much is to pop to Eeloo, spray some rude stuff over Hejnfelt's stuff and go back. Instead I'd like to wave you away from the scoring system and point out that the ship features a private cabin per Kerbal. Does yours?

screenshot414.png

A couple more gracious burns, courtesy of our lady the atomic engine and the ship does arrive to Eeloo entering a 8700km "low orbit".

No problem, the lander, is completely overpowered anyway and can do the rest itself.

Speaking of the lander, in case you have been wondering where that one is, it's time for...

screenshot415.png

SAUCER SEPERATION! Had I had... a saucer. And there's the lander. It had been pushing the ship all along.

screenshot416.png

Engineering section heads to Eeeloo. Aaaaaand...

screenshot423.png

Touchdown!

screenshot425.png

Yay, Eeloo! For some reason the Kerbals don't want to touch the ground that has been thoroughly irradiated by the nuclear engines, despite our reassurance that no local bioinfectant can possibly survive the touchdown. Weird.

screenshot430.png

Time to head back, and after the tiniest of inclination errors...

screenshot435.png

Back in one piece! Also another shameless promo shot.

screenshot438.png

Now, at this point the ship runs so low on fuel that it is basically operating on the lander's fuel supply worth. Acceleration has gone up to 6.

We leave no comfy cabins behind however and will carry them back to Kerbin. Some minimal aerocapturing might be required in order to enter Kerbin LEO though...

screenshot440.png

Approaching Kerbin in order to perform minimal aerocapturing.

screenshot445.png

Aaaaaaaaarh, thisburnsomuch. Notice the altitude from the surface :P

screenshot446.png

Pointy nose man. It makes all the difference.

screenshot451.png

screenshot453.png

And back to Kerbin LEO. Awaiting for the local automated fuel tanker. :]

Edited by Vaebn

It occurs to me that while maintaining this challenge, and contributing to KRAK and other projects I have neglected doing this one myself....I is a BAAAAAAD OP.

So for the next few days I will be putting together my own Eeloo Launch system, and mission...

Lets see some of you mod lovers put in something truely ridiculous.

Alacrity

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.