How do I make a circular space station and how do I connect things at 45 degrees?

Hello all. I just got this game and it's taking all my spare time.

I was hoping to attach pods together to simulate a orbital station with artificial gravity kinda like this

2001_2.jpg

I installed a couple mods but I can't find a proper attachment that will allow me to connect things at anything other than right angles. I know I can use shift and ASDWQE to adjust things but it seems that most of the pods won't move with those commands.

Maybe there's a mod that will help but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance,

CaptGentry

What you want to do is connect modules with docking ports, and then angle the docking port on one end. Use surface attachment and not node attachment to be able to do this. Attach the other docking port perfectly level. Copy this module and its docking ports, then attach the flat port of your second module to the angled port of your other module, and repeat as necessary. If you angle it 10 degrees (two shift+ASDWQE presses), which gives a very smooth look, it will take 36 modules for a full circle. Do bear in mind that you cannot make circles in the VAB; the last set of docking ports will fail to connect. These docking ports can attach once physics kicks in and they become magnetized, however. Do it right, and you get something like this:

b7lbTPel.jpg

To add to what Kimberly said, it is easier to break that circle up into parts and use multiple launches to bring it to orbit. Docking is a bit of a challenge, but the launch vehicles are much easier to make and fly.

I tried this with a rectangular shaped base and clampotron srs, but the final two clamps wouldn't attach on my test on the ground. I have all the parts floating around the mun waiting to be put together, I'm wondering if there is some trick to assembling it, do they dock better in orbit?

In general I agree with Kimberly. This method does work but there is another way.

screenshot30.png

What I did with my K-Nor station was to place one of the arms vertical on top of the core and added the ring parts with two-way symmetry, angeling them downward the same way Kimberly did. (But instead of docking ports I used the BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point.) Then placing the entire arm radially to the core with three-way symmetry to check alignment and back on top of the core for further adjustment. After some more checking and adjusting I tied it all down with struts. The station gives the impression of being a complete circle but in fact it is just three identical radial arms.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.