JellyCubes Advanced Weapons R&D - Weapons and Other Miscellanea

JellyCubes

I added three fins to each of my missiles on my wingtips and they crashed into each other about a meter in front of my cockpit. Jeb enjoys the fireworks :)

Put one under my belly near the engine and it blows the cockpit off the rest of the plane :(

I just put four or more, usually.

Gonna attach the \'Hive\', something that probably has too manyfew missiles on it. They don\'t go straight, but I\'m attributing that to the decoupler, mostly.

Now, if there was a missile that was

Nosecone

Decoupler (Body)

Fins (On proper mount points?)

Booster

And balanced right, that would be awesome. Dunno why no-one\'s done it like that..

The ship needs a few bits and bobs from the NovaPunch pack, C7 aviation, and Tiberion\'s pack of shuttle bits (For engines and main mounting, mostly)

EDIT:

Fair warning, so no-one complains: Launch at full throttle. Any less and it hits the tower.

Also, it helps if you drop the missiles, then fire them. Just saying. Alright, that does help, but the Hive has no issues with that.

Are you guys using standard radial decouplers? If so, try editing one so it has ejectionForce = <1. The missiles work perfectly for me with my = 0.001 decoupler, although if configured wrong they do enjoy smushing into each other or my capsule.

I use 3 fins with 3x symmetry by sticking the missiles on top of my pod temporarily, in case anyone needed that trick too.

The problem is the weight of the standard radial decoupler. The decoupler stays attached to the missile so the missile\'s thrust isn\'t directly over the center of mass and that causes the missile to curve.

Increasing the missile mass would help but that means less missiles can be carried. Increasing the lift generated by the fins would also work but that would unbalance your craft.

Attach the missile to the decoupler near the nose of the missile so it pitches away from your aircraft when fired.

I\'ve just been using one of the 'long' decouplers that are available and that seems to resolve most of the problem with flight for the missiles both from drag and from mass.

Ultimately, I think it\'d be a great thing if Jelly would create a dedicated decoupler for his missiles. It doesn\'t have to be anything fancy, just enough to work right on a hardpoint or surface mount and show a link between the missile and the ship. For example, if you look at most missiles, even the AIM-54 Phoenix, there are simply 2 mounting lugs on the top of the missile, thus any launcher that has 2 hooks and the proper data cable and ignition wiring can handle the missile. Something simple like that would be more than enough and ensure that whatever you attach it to creates sufficient clearance from the craft for your missile\'s fins.

Yeah, I\'d love to see something really minimalist so it doesn\'t affect the missile\'s flight and doesn\'t leave ridiculous marks on the plane (for example, a long decoupler from SIDR (i think) leaves three individual residual marks and if the missile is mounted on the wingtip, that\'s a problem as two of these hardpoints are suspended in the air by magic) :x

Yeah, I\'d love to see something really minimalist so it doesn\'t affect the missile\'s flight and doesn\'t leave ridiculous marks on the plane

That\'s exactly what Omnivore did in his \'Blinder\' project. Once again, go get it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually searched both terms and my screenshot results were the only ones that showed up. When I went to Advanced Search, however, I found the thread... and I didn\'t even specify which forum category it was in.

I actually searched both terms and my screenshot results were the only ones that showed up. When I went to Advanced Search, however, I found the thread... and I didn\'t even specify which forum category it was in.

It\'s because you included the quotemarks-it was searching for \'blinder\', not blinder.