Space Station Aldrin Collab/Challenge. Final stages.

Saberus

Roger that commander, beginning mission.

remember you have 72 hours :)

Sorry guys for letting you wait, I can be the last one in the line, Im really having troubles.

well at least you'll have a tug to use then :P

Anyone want to step in with docking arms?

If there are no takers I have some designs in my head for some probe/RCS controlled adapters that can shuffle around. If necessary I'll take a turn before you to put a few of them up.

I would but i said i'm not going to hog it :P

Edited by M.Wolfy

uh...

currently the station can only hold 24 kerbals, there are 11 in it now, the tug will also have spare space for 4 crew, 8 total (4 pilots and 4 passengers) so i think that'll be a bit too much vessels to send up :P

I can do some work to minimize part count (but not by much, you can't reduce a 25 part orbiter much farther) and at 7 kerbals per, that's 28 for 4 vehicles. I'll need to use a modified version anyways as the Guppy Mk 4 is not designed for de-orbiting from geostationary (~600dV; it'd never make it). I'll have to use a 4.5 version anyways so I can optimize. The real question is once tugs and escape pods are up, how many kerbals will actually need de-orbiting at once?

I can do some work to minimize part count (but not by much, you can't reduce a 25 part orbiter much farther) and at 7 kerbals per, that's 28 for 4 vehicles. I'll need to use a modified version anyways as the Guppy Mk 4 is not designed for de-orbiting from geostationary (~600dV; it'd never make it). I'll have to use a 4.5 version anyways so I can optimize. The real question is once tugs and escape pods are up, how many kerbals will actually need de-orbiting at once?

from what i remember the station will have about 10 scientists and the rest is tempoary storage for kerbals. Jeb, bill and bob (and another pilot) will transfered into the AMMES, so there will be 10 scientists and 4(the AMMES needs 4 pilots amd space for 4 passengers [or the pilots could use the passenger space as their living quaters, in fact, i'll do that, the crew of AMMES will live in it, so the station needs 10 kerbals and AMMES wil have 4 seperate crew :)]).

Edited by M.Wolfy

Having the lot of the station be modular is a good idea for travel purposes. Thus I approve of the auxiliary fuel tanks being able to be positioned vertically for the eventual flight away from Kerbin. What I don't approve of is the station's current communications and lighting system. Specifically, it has none at all. For a relay between planets, that's just not acceptable. I'll just have to add them myself, in that case, once the save file's up for another addition.

Having the lot of the station be modular is a good idea for travel purposes. Thus I approve of the auxiliary fuel tanks being able to be positioned vertically for the eventual flight away from Kerbin. What I don't approve of is the station's current communications and lighting system. Specifically, it has none at all. For a relay between planets, that's just not acceptable. I'll just have to add them myself, in that case, once the save file's up for another addition.

comms is not needed unless this station will have a .22 science module, and the AMMES will have a communitron, also if you want to build a communication module (which in my opinion is no use having a entire module dedicated to communication) then you'll have to wait until the guy doing the power array is finished, which is after sierra, which is after me, which is after octagon guy...

Edited by M.Wolfy

comms is not needed unless this station will have a .22 science module, and the AMMES will have a communitron, also if you want to build a communication module (which in my opinion is no use having a entire module dedicated to communication) then you'll have to wait until the guy doing the power array is finished, which is after sierra, which is after me, which is after octagon guy...

If SkyRender can add a comms array I'm all for it. It may only be aesthetic now, but we may need some high gain antennae in the future, and given the final orbit, it won't hurt if someone wants to design a small, self sufficient comms relay so that the station can maintain line of sight for when it ends up on the other side of Kerbol from either Eve or Kerbin.

If SkyRender can add a comms array I'm all for it. It may only be aesthetic now, but we may need some high gain antennae in the future, and given the final orbit, it won't hurt if someone wants to design a small, self sufficient comms relay so that the station can maintain line of sight for when it ends up on the other side of Kerbol from either Eve or Kerbin.

iI already said that it'll be useful in the future :P. if this station gets a .22 science module...

Edited by M.Wolfy

as someone who enjoy flying and connection my space station together, could each party place post they crafts independently so that we can build the crafts / Station together.

I understand, i do it as well sometimes :P

Here you go (current files):

Core: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08804428073756759882

Hab(s): http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=14334761137009334458

Edited by M.Wolfy

I would like to add my Manned Manoeuvring Unit docking Module, I have build append this craft which xoknight posted in the Craft Exchange Section. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/50133-Manned-Maneuvering-Unit-(MMU)

If this is allowed then I will post the Craft file, and when it is my turn I will added it to the main Craft itself.

I would like to add my Manned Manoeuvring Unit docking Module, I have build append this craft which xoknight posted in the Craft Exchange Section. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/50133-Manned-Maneuvering-Unit-(MMU)

If this is allowed then I will post the Craft file, and when it is my turn I will added it to the main Craft itself.

I'll add you to the list :)

My report:

Mission: Add fuel tanks and modular docking ports.

w01s.png

Aldrin plus parts file: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=130942DBDAE1E68E!176

Photographic data:

a51r.pngveb0.png

This are the parts inside the the rocket cargo bay.

9zuz.png

This engine is used to tow the pieces to a high orbit.

jgj0.pngd7o5.png

Delta class rockets at the launching site. The largest one sometimes receives some solid fuel boosters for take-off.

ulk1.pnghgz8.png

To Aldrin!!!

zblm.pngdi0z.png

Getting things into orbit.

i5z4.pngo89i.png

Beginning transfer. Getting to Aldrin.

xxz0.png

My original idea was to have six Orange tanks attached to it, but the lag...

SO THIS IS THE FINAL LOOK!!! "Drum roll..."

za22.png

P.S.: I'm afraid that the station has now to many pieces. If is the case, I recommend dropping off some fuel tanks and creating an "station mate" for Aldrin.

I can handle 285 alright but any more and we are pushing it. I recommend dropping off one pair of tanks (with it's hub) and one of the hab modules to save some part count for our users with lesser PCs.

Just complementing: We should also reduce the maximum part per player, 100 is to high.

Edited by Octagon

Good to see you again!

The 72 hours was so that folks with weaker PCs had time to complete, but I forgot to account for pilot patience. I'll drop the part limit to 50 to help you all out.

Octagon, the custom fairings are nice, but just confirming the final product is stock?

Next on the list is Brody, I'll send a PM.

Octagon, the custom fairings are nice, but just confirming the final product is stock?

Yes, I took some care, just using them at the launch phase. Also, I've assured that all of them were destroyed to avoid any incompatibility problem.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Add me to the list for RCS tugs - I have a design that lets me launch 3-4 little tugs in one go. Not the strongest, but I use them for shuffling station modules all the time.

(NOTE: Does everything use Sr. C-o-T ports, or are there standard-size ones?)

Sorry for not responding earlier. Add me to the list for RCS tugs - I have a design that lets me launch 3-4 little tugs in one go. Not the strongest, but I use them for shuffling station modules all the time.

(NOTE: Does everything use Sr. C-o-T ports, or are there standard-size ones?)

We've got a few tugs on the list already, but I can add you to the list if you like.

All the starting ports are Sr., but the fuel depot added some standard CoT ports, and other modules have yet to go on that might add more standard and possible Jr. ports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.