Multiple Modules?

Kowbell

Good day all.

I am creating a probe + itty bitty fuel tank + itty bitty engine + telemetric instrumentation combination, simply because I can/want to. I can not seem to get the multiple MODULE{} bits to work, however. Whenever I load the part, it simply does not register any of them, excepting the proby command module bit and the telemetry. I believe I have seen these before, but I can not find anything explaining how to execute this kind of procedure.

Right now, I have the modular bits arranged as following:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCommand
minimumCrew = 0

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.05
}
}

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 150
maxAmount = 150
}

RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 90
maxAmount = 90
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 110
maxAmount = 110
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngines
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 55
heatProduction = 600
fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.25
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 450
key = 1 220
}

}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 0.5
YawTorque = 0.5
RollTorque = 0.5

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.03
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = fairing
bottomNodeName = bottom
isFairing = True
jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
jettisonForce = 5
jettisonDirection = 0 0 1

}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSAS
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnviroSensor
sensorType = ACC
}

MODULE
{
sensorType = PRES
}

MODULE
{
sensorType = GRAV
}

MODULE
{
sensorType = TEMP
}

I don't know too much about .cfg alteration, so pardon my novicity. Have mercy on my poor soul, and explain to me how to overcome this conundrum. It is for science!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the engine can be activated, and it will drain fuel/overheat, but I experience no acceleration. Also, is it possible to combine all the "Toggle" buttons for the sensors into one?

Edited by Kowbell

Anything that uses a force will require a transform to be added to the part in Unity. Problem #1. So that is why the reaction wheel, engine, and the jettison are not working.

As for the sensors, I did not think those needed a transform, but if they are not registering at all that may also be the problem.

Lastly as for the power draw and battery, those should be just fine as they are.

Hrm, I have never added a transform to any of the probe parts I've made and their reaction wheel force works just fine?

For the jettison, the bottomNodeName needs to match the stack_node name exactly or the associated shroud won't work

Engines and RCS need their thrustTransform objects, although I haven't made any so I haven't looked into the specifics just yet

reaction wheels apply force to the part CoM.

For Jettison along with needing transforms and to have the nodes match exactly, you also need mesh to be jettisoned, and most engines use two jettisons, one for each half of the fairing to be jettisoned

I'll look up how to do the jettisons and whatnots. But why is the engine bit not working? Is that because of the jettisons?

No that one will be specifically due to the lack of a thrust transform. The part has to have a transform in unity to tell it which direction the thrust is, otherwise the game does not initialize it to prevent itself from freaking out and somehow thrusting in all directions at once.

Thanks for the explanation, that make sense. Could you direct me towards some sort of tutorial - or perhaps, your own brief oration - that explains how to do transformations? I've searched the forums, the wiki, the youtubes, and the googles, but to no avail.

And while we're on topic, does anyone know a good way to generate bump maps? The google is not helping me with that question either.

Have mercy on my soul, I'm new to add-on development.

It's a game object you add in Unity Tools under your engine hierarchy which you call thrustTransform (I think that's quite specific), which you need to point (Z arrow) in the direction you want the thrust to come out of your engine.

This is just what I've read about it so far, I haven't set one up myself since I haven't made an engine yet

Edited by NoMrBond

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.