If I succeed in this, I will uninstall the game and never play again.

Whackjob

I have no words...

I'm not sure whether you'll actually orbit this thing or just use it to politely push the whole of Kerbin 70km to one side.

My good man, this is just the early part. The reddit challenge states that first I must achieve orbit while lifting orange fuel tanks without using the fuel in them. Then, I must lift that entire vehicle into orbit without using any of its fuel to win. I imagine the end product will be approximately eight times larger.

I will win.

Don't feel like I am trying to stop you but to lift four tanks to orbit you don't need anything more than two two-tank lifters or four 1-tank lifters stitched together. According to my experience, you need about 5 orange tanks worth of fuel to get 1 full orange tank to orbit. What's in your first image is already twice that much.

Don't feel like I am trying to stop you but to lift four tanks to orbit you don't need anything more than two two-tank lifters or four 1-tank lifters stitched together. According to my experience, you need about 5 orange tanks worth of fuel to get 1 full orange tank to orbit. What's in your first image is already twice that much.

With stock everything? Or are you using modded engines?

I not only have to lift the tanks into orbit, I also have to have something solid enough to attach the rest that will lift all of that into orbit. I'm not necessarily going after most likely to succeed or most efficient.

I'm going after the unlikely and implausible. I'm going for the spectacle.

Oh, I double checked the weight of it. 1,975,442 kg currently.

Success. I will rest well tonight. Tomorrow I may take a break, as my brain is burned and stupid. Then the next stage begins. Lifting it all up into orbit without touching its fuel.

#EDIT: Just realized, that sans drop tanks, I just put a freaking thing over a million kilos into orbit, in one cohesive chunk!

Edited by Whackjob

For some ideas, this is the "Kracken". STTO and return for a full orange tank. 150 parts.

I can send you/post the craft file if you wish. I use mechjeb only to hold the throttle at 19-20ms to stop it's large engines over loading it. Without Mechjeb, a launch should be possible, a return difficult (only ~100ms/dv SPARE for mistakes!).

Edited by Technical Ben

Well, there actually is a soft upper limit to the lifting capability in this game (as in real life). We will see if you hit it! :I

PS, I might be able to do the first stage, not in "1,975,442 kg" but in 2339kg. :)

Edited by Technical Ben

I've had this game less than a week, and I'm loving it. I signed up to the forum just to reply to this thread. Whackjob, more power to your mouse sir! I look forward to seeing the final version of this. I also learnt two things from you post - use of girders, which I was wondering about how best to employ, and also the way you cluster multiple engines around a single tank. So thanks also for that.

Wow, this is an insane challenge, a ludicrous booster. If you put structural plates on the inside of that thing, it would serve as multi-storey parking for rovers. Well done on the Big 6th Order of Magnitude for payload mass. If the game had achievements, you would probably get a little badge pop up in the right corner of the screen. I can't really believe my eyes.

Great Goddard's Ghost! Whackjob...dude...i don't know if i should call you a hero, or a villain. First you show us that everything that can be imagined is possible in KSP. And then you make all of us feel small and inadequate. :D Nevertheless, don't you dare to leave - who will inspire, entertain and humble us?

Here is an addition to your Challenge... or an assistance. You can decide! Do you take the "Space Race" to be friend or foe? Because I'm stepping up and seeing if I can meet your challenge. :)

That's the first stage. ~180 parts. To 71km orbit.

I don't think I'm looking forward to the second stage. :'(

Its all lies// he never got it into orbit at all.

All he did was build a rocket with enough thrust to move Kerbin outa of the way :D

Boris

<<had enuff difficulty hetting 1 oronage tank, 3 FT 400 and 3 nuke engines into orbit with the whole contraption falling apart at a variety of altitudes ;.;

Looks like the thing I made back when I was trying to make a functional copy of the Saturn V system.

Well, time to work on my "wide" booster prototype...

I've decided to uninstall while I still have time - I've seen the madness this game leads to! :wink:

Here's the premise. Wider fuel carousel, staggered layers to make reinforcement easier. Eight instead of one rocket cluster on the arse end.

p48LdIr.png

mMieDXQ.png

It works. But... I don't know. I don't think what is it is plausible. I would have to build eight longer versions of these, part by part, because of the broken symmetry. Can I do it? Yeah, I could. But i'm considering alternatives. Gonna think on this for a day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.