Is there a parts pack with more pieces to work with the stock girders?

Galane

I'd like to build a rover frame using the stock long girders around the edges, but the lack of a corner piece with 4 or 6 nodes doesn't help at all.

I'm planning to start Kethane mining Mun and Minmus, need to build a rover big enough to be stable on Minmus and strong+powerful enough to handle the craters on Mun.

I've long wanted to make a parts pack that's just an expansion for the stock girders and I-beams

But I've learned I'm not get good at modeling so I gave up on it long ago.

The parts posted above are great but simply don't match up with the stock parts.

Edited by Moon Goddess

I've long wanted to make a parts pack that's just an expansion for the stock girders and I-beams

But I've learned I'm not get good at modeling so I gave up on it long ago.

The parts posted above are great but simply don't match up with the stock parts.

Don't let that discourage you if you see a need.

Try using the stock girders and i-beams and use the MODEL command in .cfg files to make them do what you want. You can use my stuff in "Restock" as a basis.

Not everyone is good with Unity, but you can still do good things for the community.

I was throwing together a few girder shapes that I wanted personally the other night:

hDaTEFg.jpg

Look for it in a day or two on spaceport, should only take a few minutes to finish if I actually put my mind to it. Any more particular parts you'd be looking to get? I had in mind a T-joint, 4-way joint, nice looking 0.625m adapter and perhaps a few 2.5m parts. Maybe some cubic-octagonal width pieces too.

Pieces like those would be ideal! A girder connector pack that's just all the possible ways of having 2 to 6 nodes on a cube would be very nice.

Hrrmmmm, still couldn't make a complete square due to the inability to have a node connected loop but a square cornered "U" shape braced with struts or a plate could be very useful. So would being able to stick the sides of struts to things like decouplers.

For my Minmus Kethane scanner satellite I wanted to not have anything on it it didn't need. With the scanner front and center there wasn't a place to put a forward facing docking port to refuel the booster for the TMI (Trans Minmus Injection) so I made a jettison-able refueling boom. Put four of the small radial decouplers on then had to stick four of the smallest stretchy tanks to them because the girders and Oscar B tanks don't work that way.

8 short and one long girder stuck to the ends of the small tanks, a few struts and I had a disposable rig for docking and fueling which could be dumped when no longer needed. Docking Autopilot handled the offset port just fine. Side-sticky girders would've made this easier to build with a lower parts count.

10165118264_94e6818784_z.jpg

I built a rover last night with four long girders splayed out from a 4,000 unit Kethane tank. Should be able to land on Minmus then take off again. It can fly on Kerbin after the two LV-909's burn about 1/2 the fuel in the pair of FL-T400, though the "ruggedized" wheels didn't like my manual landing... With care it can be driven around in Kerbin gravity and even with abuse it doesn't collapse under its own weight. I'll have to get a picture of Krover and its near twin Kleveland (to be a bit modified from Krover, which is currently in Kerbin orbit).

Edited by Galane

a girder "cross"-piece consisting of four girders

and a "T-Shape" girder too (three ends) , all in one part

an L-shape girder (corner-part)

an I -shape girder (so a large one with two small ones on each end ) (two T´s combined at the long side)

those parts would be awesome as rover chassis and for larger structures to reduce total parts count

also it would be nice if those parts had more "connection-points" ... but that would just be icing on the cake

I got to thinking that most of the required functions could be fulfilled by a single cubic strut core. So here it is:

yO4KTgd.jpg

All I've got to do now is make it attach without needing to mess around with the rotation, but I may just upload it as is. Trying to figure out the individual rotation of each attach node is...difficult.

Might go on to make some other bits for aesthetic reasons if you still want them.

thiscubic strut core is great and it does help a lot, but it also increases part count fast.

so ideal would be the cube, combined with struts that are there into one part:

(sorry for ascii art)

O = cube

X = strut

. = nothing

xox

.x

and

xo

.x

and

.x

xox

.x

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.