Modifying Wheels to drive like RoveMax 3

Gnaar_Mok

Can someone point me in the right direction on this? I'm working on a modified version of the "wheelMED" part for a project but I want to change the steering method to "tanksteering". I've tried changing a few things in the part file but I can't seem to get it to function properly. It doesn't turn, just goes back and forth. Any help is appreciated!

Does the stopped tread still rotate when you try to turn? If it does, then you need to apply a brake to that tread to stop it from rotating. It could be free turning with the other track so there is nothing to force your vehicle to turn.

There should be a field in the config file called "steeringModeType". Change that from "AutomaticSteer" to "TankSteer" (without quotes) and you should be good to go. :)

I tried exactly this and even included the next line with tanksteering torque. Still only getting forward/backward movement but no rotation.

You're making a tank, aren't you? :P

Keep mucking around with the .cfgs. Check what's different on both, and change it to see what happens. :)

Not a tank, a rover designed to put together modules on a planetary base. I want it to handle like a tank though. I'll keep up with the trial and error and hopefully come up with something useable

Can someone point me in the right direction on this? I'm working on a modified version of the "wheelMED" part for a project but I want to change the steering method to "tanksteering". I've tried changing a few things in the part file but I can't seem to get it to function properly. It doesn't turn, just goes back and forth. Any help is appreciated!

You did change your modified parts config part name, right?

PART
{
name = wheelMed

You did change your modified parts config part name, right?

PART
{
name = wheelMed

Of course ;P

I copied that part folder to use as a base for the modified wheel. It's been renamed appropriately and definitely shows up as a seperate part in-game. Still not able to get it to turn

I tried exactly this and even included the next line with tanksteering torque. Still only getting forward/backward movement but no rotation.

This is just a CFG change right? Is the steering mode the only thing you've changed, and the tanksteering torque the only thing you've added?

Cansteer is set to true?

And when you steer, nothing seems to happen right? What about when you steer while at speed?

It could be that you don't have enough steering torque, but that's not likely. But, if it can turn a bit while moving, it could be your steering curve is too low.

This is the steering curve for the Rovemax model 3:

steeringCurve
{
key = 0 150 0 0
key = 13 90 0 0
key = 13.5 0 0 0

}

The first number is the speed, the second number the angle the wheels steer at that speed.

This is the one for the medium wheel:

steeringCurve
{
key = 0 10
key = 10 6
key = 30 2
}

As you can see, smaller angles, but a larger range of speed. You'll need to beef the angles, and maybe turn down the speeds you want to turn about on the spot like a tank.

Interestingly, I somehow ended up with the steering curve for the Model 3 in the CFG for the medium wheel one time.

Odd things happened.

3G0Zr8l.png

Ok, I got the results I was looking for....mostly. The rover sort of dances around as it turns, but it does turn. My current problem may be a design issue. Thanks for explaining the code behind steering curves, its notably missing from the sticky post that explains cfg file code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.