[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Thanks for the kudos, everyone! This has been one crazy update, but I'm glad it's been worth my while :)

I've just installed this mod, however it seems that the Service Module doesn't have any actions associated... Neither in staging nor right click nor in the action groups section... Is it just me?
It never has, you need to assign them.
Right-click should work with the new update. Thats what I use mostly.

Btw, nice update! Love the inflatable.

I am looking to see how i decouple the service mod from the heatshield. I have looked in the AG menu and with right click. If anyone can give me a hint, or better yet the answer, i would send many virtual beers....

thanks.

Make sure you've installed Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin - this is listed quite clearly as a dependency in the announcement post.

Also, the Service Module decoupler was designed to be only triggered by right-click context menu or Action Group. If it was staged, there would be many people who accidentally decouple their pods after spamming the spacebar too many times, and then come complaining to me that I killed their Kerbals.

Wow this update is so futuristic! It's available tomorrow even though it's today!
I'm not gonna question how this came out on the 27th when it's the 26th. I'm just gonna praise Sumghai...

Time zone derpage + an attempt to compensate for CurseForge's moderation queue.

As it turned out, my new upload was approved merely ten minutes after I uploaded it, and since it was out, I might as well not keep it from you guys any longer.

Ooh 2.0. Though a bit concerned the service module won't look as good as a structural piece for space stations/larger craft now that it's got that clamp. But then it seems I'm the only one that uses it like that. Any chance of a service module trunk minus the avionics ring? I suspect such a piece would also be useful for pairing with that snazzy ATV core of yours.

I have been thinking about a proper ATV-style SM trunk for the FusTek Resupply module - we'll see how that goes.

Does the AnimatedDecouplers plugin support 64bit? Because it freezes my game when I load the space center. I get a black screen and birds chirping.

That is a question best left for Starwaster, as he is the author of the AnimatedDecouplers plugin.

You probably already answered this somewhere, but the Fustek Resupply Module advertises integration with SDHI. Will there be a matching umbilical connector on that now?

I'm probably going to make a dedicated ATV propulsion trunk for the FusTek Resupply module instead.

That is a question best left for Starwaster, as he is the author of the AnimatedDecouplers plugin.

That's likely what's happening then... I'm using 64bit and the game either freezes like described above, or the service module doesn't have options assigned.

[EDIT: Alright, started in 32 bit and it indeed started correctly. However when in the "Action Groups" tab in the VAB, the Service Module itself isn't even selectable. Yes, I double checked all the dependencies, they're there and up to date.]

[EDIT2: More info: the Service module doesn't seem to be colliding correctly... When on the launchpad the pod+heatshield+cover+escape system will simply collapse THROUGH the service module, as if it wasn't even there. However, the decouple option has appeared in the RMB menu. I have some mods but most of them are either gui fixes or related to this and fustek's space station mod]

[EDIT3: Ok, it seems there is a *SEPARATE* module, "SDHI 2.5m Avionics Ring" in the Structural Tab of the part list... This one seems to have all the function that are supposed to be of the Service Module... In fact, the service module seems to clip with this part. Placement of this module however doesn't seem to stop the "fall through" effect on the launchpad.]

Edited by GeckoOBac

Does the AnimatedDecouplers plugin support 64bit? Because it freezes my game when I load the space center. I get a black screen and birds chirping.

worst case scenario, it should only be affected by the decoupling force issue that 64bit has. There's not anything there that should freeze the game, especially not at the space center scene.

Edit: and logs people, logs! Especially if referring to a plugin I made. (Do I have to make a thread for this?)

[EDIT3: Ok, it seems there is a *SEPARATE* module, "SDHI 2.5m Avionics Ring" in the Structural Tab of the part list... This one seems to have all the function that are supposed to be of the Service Module... In fact, the service module seems to clip with this part. Placement of this module however doesn't seem to stop the "fall through" effect on the launchpad.]

No, that does not combine with the service module. It's an adapter for when you want to use the Mk2 pod + heat shield with ordinary 2.5m tanks instead of a service module.

Edited by Starwaster

No, that does not combine with the service module. It's an adapter for when you want to use the Mk2 pod + heat shield with ordinary 2.5m tanks instead of a service module.

Alright, but that one does have all the functions that are missing from the service module... It also doesn't suffer from the same clipping issues and stays attached to the pod.

And for logs, I can give you some. I'm not certain the issue is with *your* mod, but since the issue started with the last batch of mods installed, and they're all related to the SMS or the Stations parts it means it's among the dependecies of these mods.

Alright, but that one does have all the functions that are missing from the service module... It also doesn't suffer from the same clipping issues and stays attached to the pod.

And for logs, I can give you some. I'm not certain the issue is with *your* mod, but since the issue started with the last batch of mods installed, and they're all related to the SMS or the Stations parts it means it's among the dependecies of these mods.

It sounds like something is probably throwing an error when loading the service module....

Logs will help show where and what's going wrong.

I very much doubt the Animated Decoupler module is the issue, but try re-downloading it. I recompiled and re-uploaded.

It sounds like something is probably throwing an error when loading the service module....

Logs will help show where and what's going wrong.

I very much doubt the Animated Decoupler module is the issue, but try re-downloading it. I recompiled and re-uploaded.

Sent you a PM with the log, if you need more info just tell me.

I can't seem to find a similar problem but for some reason around 6000 the rocket just shoots up out of view of the camera. I can pan up and zoom in but I can never center the ship again. I can stage the rocket and such but its not really controllable and its extremely awkward. I had this problem a while back with HGR and I thought it was because of the RPM plugin. So I updated the RPM plugin and still the same problem. I uninstalled SDHI and all the dependencies and the problem goes away. I reinstalled SDHI it comes back so Im pretty sure its SDHI or one of the dependencies. I am gonna start narrowing down the the KM plugins and the umbilical plugins etc. Its just such an odd problem and maybe Im not the only one. Also here are all the mods I use just so you can see you notice anything that might conflict. I am also running KSP on a Mac.

Picture of problem

yXJO68i.png

Mods

0WAhNtt.png

You're not up to date on something,

OR you have to rebuild part of that craft in the VAB

Specifically I'm thinking about Real Chute. If you are not updated to the latest version, do so immediately.

If you are updated (or after you update) then you will need to remove the Real Chute from each craft you have that uses it and replace it with a fresh one. Configure it to your needs and then save the craft.

And next time, please include player.log (the Mac equivalent of output_log.txt). It eliminates a lot of guesswork for people trying to troubleshoot your problem.

To find it, click your user name (salvatorepezzinojr) then -> Library -> Logs -> Unity -> player.log

It is generated each time you run KSP and is constantly updated. (it is not only generated in a crash as some people believe)

Specifically I'm thinking about Real Chute. If you are not updated to the latest version, do so immediately.

If you are updated (or after you update) then you will need to remove the Real Chute from each craft you have that uses it and replace it with a fresh one. Configure it to your needs and then save the craft.

And next time, please include player.log (the Mac equivalent of output_log.txt). It eliminates a lot of guesswork for people trying to troubleshoot your problem.

To find it, click your user name (salvatorepezzinojr) then -> Library -> Logs -> Unity -> player.log

It is generated each time you run KSP and is constantly updated. (it is not only generated in a crash as some people believe)

Ok so I updated everything that could be updated and it still happened. How do I insert my log without taking up the whole thread?

Here is the log https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcybc65bdg6owx6/KSP.log

I can't seem to find a similar problem but for some reason around 6000 the rocket just shoots up out of view of the camera. I can pan up and zoom in but I can never center the ship again. I can stage the rocket and such but its not really controllable and its extremely awkward. I had this problem a while back with HGR and I thought it was because of the RPM plugin. So I updated the RPM plugin and still the same problem. I uninstalled SDHI and all the dependencies and the problem goes away. I reinstalled SDHI it comes back so Im pretty sure its SDHI or one of the dependencies. I am gonna start narrowing down the the KM plugins and the umbilical plugins etc. Its just such an odd problem and maybe Im not the only one. Also here are all the mods I use just so you can see you notice anything that might conflict. I am also running KSP on a Mac.

Picture of problem

https://i.imgur.com/yXJO68i.png

Mods

https://i.imgur.com/0WAhNtt.png

Same issue here. Everything is at current version, and I've worked out that it has something to do with either the service module or the heat shield. If I launch a modified version without those parts, all is well. What's very strange is that the are no events reported in the mission report (F3)...I was thinking it was a issue with a connection between two parts breaking.

Same issue here. Everything is at current version, and I've worked out that it has something to do with either the service module or the heat shield. If I launch a modified version without those parts, all is well. What's very strange is that the are no events reported in the mission report (F3)...I was thinking it was a issue with a connection between two parts breaking.

YOU NAILED IT! Its definitely the heat shield! I took the heatsheild off replaced with the the one that comes with Deadly Reenntry and the rocket flys fine. No problems zooms past 6000 with not problems at all. The service module works fine. Its the heat shield. Now I have no idea why but I am glad to see its working. I don't think the landing bags will work with out it sadly but that def fixed the problem for my. I posted my log a few posts above maybe you can figure out why from that but that is a huge relief atleast for me because I have spent about 2 hours now trying to figure out what the frack was going on.

That's not player.log that is KSP.log

I showed you how to get player.log :)

Using the path you told me there is no unity in my "logs" file r158RE2.png

I apologize for the ignorance and any frustration I might be causing. Its just not there.

Using the path you told me there is no unity in my "logs" file https://i.imgur.com/r158RE2.png

I apologize for the ignorance and any frustration I might be causing. Its just not there.

Then it must be set to be hidden. Can't look into it further right now and can't do anything without that log file.

It's also possible you've somehow got into a different Log folder as there is some duplication involved but only one has the right file.

Then it must be set to be hidden. Can't look into it further right now and can't do anything without that log file.

It's also possible you've somehow got into a different Log folder as there is some duplication involved but only one has the right file.

No worries. I will keep looking for it for you. However I feel I have isolated the problem to the SDHI heatshield. If I use the heatsheild that comes with Deadly Reentry it all works great.

For those with heat shield issues, try permanently disabling the floatation collar feature by stripping out the KMbuoyancy PartModules - if you don't experience that 6000 m error, then it has something to do with dtobi's Klockheed Martian plugins.

EDIT: Unable to reproduce aforementioned issue even with latest version of Klockheed Martian plugins. I suspect another add-on not used by SDHI is causing this issue - could you guys try setting up a separate installation with just SDHI and its dependencies, and then examine the other add-ons for compatibility?

Edited by sumghai

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.