The Grand 0.22 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

I think it's a good thing Squad aims at those who are new to KSP with the 0.22-update. The careermode serves as a tutorial as well as some sort of 'overview' of the KSP-evolution since july 2011.

Personally, I'll stick to 0.21 as I'm a sandbox player and this mode is virtually unchanged. Gotta admit I haven't done 90% of the stuff possible in sandbox anyway ... !

3) I still have trouble with "phantom throttle" - throttle off, hit "esc" to pause, come back later, unease... and the engine throttles back to full. Hitting "X" at this point cuts the engine, after which is mysteriously just ramps right back up to 100%. Throttling down to zero will shut it off again, but "X" will not in this mode. Is this just me, or a known problem (had it on 0.21 as well). Running under OSX (with nothing else running)

Do you have a joystick plugged in? I had this problem, until I realized that the throttle on my joystick was sitting at "full throttle" position. Lost a moon base before I figured out what was going on.

I've been having a similar issue with strange control issues...under certain circumstances (can't really say what they are, sadly...haven't noticed them in time) the pitch or yaw control will jam and spin the craft. It's fixable by doing a trim-reset (alt-X), but it shouldn't be happening at all, since I'm not using trim controls at all.

I have to say it is awesome, but I wonder if the first gear available for space rockets would be unmanned satellites first. Thinking we put up devices before we sent people. I really expected logging in to send a simple satellite into orbit first, then work with unmanned stuff before going the route of Mercury/Gemini/Apollo stuff.

I am really excited to do something really dumb with kerbals.

In real life we sent up humans before satellites as well...

Edit: nm.. seems like the first satellite went up a few years earlier.

It might be more fair to say we sent up humans before we sent up satellites that could actually do anything.

Depends on your definition of "do anything." After the initial beeps of Sputnik 1, satellites very quickly started returning very useful scientific results.

Even Sputnik had an experiment to report micro-meteor damage - the sphere was filed with helium under pressure, and the beeps were connected to a pressure sensor. If the sphere was damaged then the beep length or interval would change. This gave the scientists a better understanding of the risks to probes and/or manned missions.

Depends on your definition of "do anything." After the initial beeps of Sputnik 1, satellites very quickly started returning very useful scientific results.

Including Sputnik 1 itself. Despite the popular idea that it only beeped, it actually carried science equipment. And that was our first artificial satellite. If you take sounding rockets into account, we've been using probes for far longer than manned pods. It goes as far as a couple of years after WWII. The V2 was used for scientific research when the US hired a lot of german scientists, including Wherner Von Braun. Probably, that's the first time he felt proud of his work.

TL;DR, We meed probes before manned pods. Seriously.

Feedback on 0.22 Career mode.

I've been to:

Mun x3

Minmus x2

Duna x2 (no return)

Eve x2 (no return)

Still not unlocked everything :) Starting t feel a little grindy now.

Also, I think it would be better to have higher science for things (where you can send via comms once and bring back once) rather than spamming them constantly to get as much as possible.

The one thing I would liek is all the information (pressure, temp etc) to be available after collecting for reviewing.

Edited by Zutha

One thing that's been irking me about 0.22 is the SAS. Every time I make a heading correction SAS is like F*ck your change, I do what I want. I end up having to turn SAS off, make my heading correction and then turn it back on. It's a real nuisance.

It would be great if the heading the SAS is trying to keep could be displayed on the NAV Ball so that there are no suspicions about either my Kerbalesk rocketeering or the SAS's secret mission to kill Jeb.

My feedback on 0.22 Career is that Science mission just feel to me like: Get there once, you know everything. It would be cool if the longer you spent in orbit, the more your crew report was worth, or if you logged a piece of equipment multiple times in the same area your science would give higher returns (since you're doing observations over time rather than checking once.)

Also I don't feel I'm sciencing for the awesomeness of science, I feel like I'm doing it just to unlock parts. It would be cool if there was an actual value to the science rather than just a neat message.

One thing that's been irking me about 0.22 is the SAS. Every time I make a heading correction SAS is like F*ck your change, I do what I want. I end up having to turn SAS off, make my heading correction and then turn it back on. It's a real nuisance.

It would be great if the heading the SAS is trying to keep could be displayed on the NAV Ball so that there are no suspicions about either my Kerbalesk rocketeering or the SAS's secret mission to kill Jeb.

My feedback on 0.22 Career is that Science mission just feel to me like: Get there once, you know everything. It would be cool if the longer you spent in orbit, the more your crew report was worth, or if you logged a piece of equipment multiple times in the same area your science would give higher returns (since you're doing observations over time rather than checking once.)

Also I don't feel I'm sciencing for the awesomeness of science, I feel like I'm doing it just to unlock parts. It would be cool if there was an actual value to the science rather than just a neat message.

Yea the new ASAS is pretty strange acting. Seems to work pretty fine in space with rockets and smaller crafts. But spaceplanes. If I just want to correct my Roll My pitch can go 5 degrees of to. I was under the impression the previous ASAS only changed the Axis you gave inputs to but now all of them seems to disengage during input causing drifts all over the place. Basically its almost like the old one where you held F or toggled T ASAS on and off during corrections. 0.21 ASAS was nice in the way that you did not have to control yaw,roll and pitch all at once.

I find that I must Use F and hold the craft at a point where I want it to go now and then let F go quickly. Just annoying. ASAS was better in 0.21.

Lucky for me almsot all my spaceplanes are perfectly balanced but I cant imagine the migraine other people must have with less balanced crafts.

Well, it's how most 'real physics plausible' warp drives would work.

FYI - there is no "real physics warp drive" nor is NASA "trying to make" one (despite what you may read in New Scientist "kind of like the Weekly World News for "science"). Even the Alcubierre drive is merely a theory requiring an amount of energy unobtainable in any real known physics.

Edited by JebidiahsBigSister

FYI - there is no "real physics warp drive" nor is NASA "trying to make" one (despite what you may read in New Scientist "kind of like the Weekly World News for "science"). Even the Alcubierre drive is merely a theory requiring an amount of energy unobtainable in any real known physics.

True, but it's better to call it a hypothesis. It's only slightly better than a fairy dust engine.

i know I am the last man to the party but i wanted to throw my first thoughts at .22

LOVE THE TECH TREE... being limited at the start is forcing me to relearn a lot of basics. I am using parts I have never used before. Paying much better attention to weight allowances.

HATE THE TECH TREE... I assume there is a brutal flame war thread already but I have to say it. No batteries till t3 ad no solar cells toll t4???!?!?!! WTF!!!! Got into orbit soon as I had a decoupler, but couldn't tell anyone bECAusE THE JUICE RAN OUT. Had to randomly pump the gas to generate juice for the gyro's. Only power genrator is a 215 thrust main motor.... sigh....

anyway I have a lot of missions to do and a lot of things to figure out

Alacrity

Congrats Squad!!!!!!!!!! It's a great release!!!!!!!!!

I need only one thing: a list of science.

I mean what I think it would be cool is that the Research and Development unit had a list of science that can be done and sciences have already done. It would also be interesting know what Kerbal was recorded that science​​them.

Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!

[...]I need only one thing: a list of science.

I mean what I think it would be cool is that the Research and Development unit had a list of science that can be done and sciences have already done. It would also be interesting know what Kerbal was recorded that science​​them.

[...]

I agree. I suggest a second tab in the R&D building (aside from the tech-tree), in which all (discovered) bodies are listed on individual drop-down-menus, featuring the name of the body and science recovered/science possible. Clicking said dropdown-menu would then open the list of individual science recovered as a list, only listing those experiments, you have already done at least once and behind them, again, science recovered/possible.

So, say, all you did yet were one crew-report on kerbin´s grassland and another from the desert. I dont know the actual numbers, so those are rather placeholders. The ´science overview´ tab in the R&D building would read, upon enlarging the entries for Kerbin:

Kerbin 10/250

--------------------------------

CR Grassland (low) 5/10

CR Desert (low) 5/10

Mun 0/400

Minmus 0/600

[...]

So, it would tell you, wether there is something left to do on a body and which experiments are worth repeating. But for yet unconducted experiments, it would not tell you, which they are, as their entries would only appear once you did them at least once.

Science results regarding plantary properties (e.g. temps, pressure and grav) should go to the map-screen´s info buttons. Each result should feature its own entry in a sorted (and sortable) list, giving the retrieved value (e.g. 23°C), the altitude and possibly also the co-ords. To unclutter the list, players should be allowed to hide individual entries (or discard them altogether): Select one or more entries and hit a button, labeled ´(un-)hide´, which reveals all hidden entries, if none is selected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.