Evening folks.

xxfallacyxx

Greetings all. Finally picked up my copy of KSP via steam and I've been playing as much as possible in my spare time. For now, vanilla KSP will do, but I see the modding community will be strong with this game. I've been browsing the forums a little bit and like the set up, especially the mission threads, reminds me of car build threads on the other forums I browse.

I'm already hooked. Just sent my first Mun lander and got a whopping 500 science from the mission. Now to go "research" more parts.

In all I have to say the career mode is better than sandbox for rocket building concepts. Sandbox I just kind of picked the biggest and most expensive parts to put together, but with the limited parts selection found in career mode I feel I'm making better use of the parts themselves.

Career Mode forces you to start simple. But, even with Sandbox, start out small and simple. Even with Nova Punch mods, which has some huge tanks and engines, it comes with a balanced set of small items that will place a Stayputnik into Mun orbit and return.

TD8RZk9.jpg

As a first mod, you might want to check the Kerbal Engineer Redux.

At first, the numbers will seem a little overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy as pie. After all, you're doing rocket science. :P

There's two basic things you want to learn:

TWR- The Thrust To Weight ratio. >1, your rocket will go up. =1, your rocket will hover on the pad. <1, your rocket won't even take off.

Delta V- Literally, change in velocity. In KSP it's measured in m/s, and you need ~4550 to orbit Kerbin.

Also, watch Scott Manley's tutorials. He taught orbital mechanics to the great majority of the KSP community. :)

As a first mod, you might want to check the Kerbal Engineer Redux.

At first, the numbers will seem a little overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy as pie. After all, you're doing rocket science. :P

There's two basic things you want to learn:

TWR- The Thrust To Weight ratio. >1, your rocket will go up. =1, your rocket will hover on the pad. <1, your rocket won't even take off.

Delta V- Literally, change in velocity. In KSP it's measured in m/s, and you need ~4550 to orbit Kerbin.

Also, watch Scott Manley's tutorials. He taught orbital mechanics to the great majority of the KSP community. :)

Will look into that, as sometimes I feel the info available for a "space faring race of kerbals" is somewhat poor concerning their own spaceship design haha.

...Not to mention the loss of totally overrated hours of sleep :D

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not talk crazy here!

So here's a brief glimpse into my current space program:

j3bw.jpg

-Jebediah on a low-orbit science mission. Currently holds record for highest altitude manned flight.

After that successful science mission, I had unlocked enough parts to make a Munar lander possible, albeit only remote control. One of the highlights of the mission, aside from the loads of science, was watching Kerbin eclipse the sun.

kftr.jpg

lw6n.jpg

5kgj.jpg

4u56.jpg

3hih.jpg

And here's a shot of my next remote science mission, planned close encounter with Eve:

wetj.jpg

nn0i.jpg

-Leaving Kerbin behind. Going to be a lengthy flight before it comes close to Eve. That launch taught me that my current "lifter" design for launch to initial orbit needs to be improved so ships can carry more fuel into space. That or I need to begin training myself on use of docking ports and orbital rendezvous.