List of places and biomes in KSP (planetary geology & geography) - UPDATING FOR v1.0.x.

lajoswinkler

I've landed a probe on Moho. Its near orbit starts at exactly 80 km, not 50.

I'm going to take a pause with this fast probe exploration because I'd like to start sending Kerbals to Mün, so if anyone is going to Dres and beyond, please take notes.

Ill check out Dres tonight.

I like these kind of goals :D

Well guys, I delved into the KSP API and managed to write a little partmodule which extracts all available biome maps. So far it's only Kerbin and the Mun. I might take another look at it tomorrow and read out the color->description data. But here's what I got so far:

EDIT: Had some extra time and added the info to the pics:

GlNczBN.png

Ju5Mhhv.png

Enjoy :wink:

CHACHING!!!!!

At least that settles the biome surface places issue.

Now I need a plugin that shows me this ingame, with an indicator of where I am...

Ah ok sorry. Not that I've seen but I think my Gilly in map view and my actually Gilly were pretty messed up. It showed me a few hundred meters or so off the surface in map view, when I was landed on the ground in normal view. It may just be since Gilly is so small. most of the others seem to have reasonable values.

Information for Jool:

Heights for Jool

-flight 2793m - 107700m

-upper atmosphere None! or that I could find

-space near Jool (107700 - 4000 km)

-space high above Jool (4000 km - SOI limit)

Obligatory "Oh my God it's full of stars quote" :)

pOa2Br0.png

I've noticed that upper atmosphere is fidgity on all planets. On kerbin, for example, I've found upper atmosphere as high as 68 km, but near space as low as 32 km.

I've never missed upper atmosphere on Jool, but you need to come in almost circularly, otherwise you're "flying" before you know it. I've hit upper atmosphere on Jool as high as 135 km, but only when I came in very slowly and gently and aerobraked into an almost circular orbit at that height.

Information for Jool:

Heights for Jool

-flight 2793m - 107700m

-space near Jool (107700 - 4000 km)

Obligatory "Oh my God it's full of stars quote" :)

http://i.imgur.com/pOa2Br0.png

Are you sure about these figures? Flight at 107700 m? Lower limit of space near Jool higher than the upper limit? That can't be right.

I've noticed that upper atmosphere is fidgity on all planets. On kerbin, for example, I've found upper atmosphere as high as 68 km, but near space as low as 32 km.

I've never missed upper atmosphere on Jool, but you need to come in almost circularly, otherwise you're "flying" before you know it. I've hit upper atmosphere on Jool as high as 135 km, but only when I came in very slowly and gently and aerobraked into an almost circular orbit at that height.

When I sent a probe to Duna, I came in a very shallow trajectory and made at least half the circumference of the planet before serious drag occured. Still, no upper atmosphere. It's buggy.

Are you sure about these figures? Flight at 107700 m? Lower limit of space near Jool higher than the upper limit? That can't be right.

When I sent a probe to Duna, I came in a very shallow trajectory and made at least half the circumference of the planet before serious drag occured. Still, no upper atmosphere. It's buggy.

It does vary, I have retried a descent from 148k circular orbit to 128k periapse:

Revised for Jool:

Heights for Jool

-flight 250 m - 119500 m

-upper atmosphere 119500 m - 137300 m

-space near Jool 137300 m - 4000 km

-space high above Jool 4000 km - SOI limit

Found Tundra right very close to KSC:

CB89F2E246E1C4EA6E0DBB784C0457A23C54807D

Yes. I need to re-rover back over there. But, still was shocked to see it. Was expecting Grass lands. Also found an intresting glitch. Just near the waters edge after the runway. I got I was in water but you can clearly see I was not: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/1045126531502477803/B51919585DAB79E11D0B24A7B6C598E11C05362D/

Found Tundra right very close to KSC:

Yes. I need to re-rover back over there. But, still was shocked to see it. Was expecting Grass lands. Also found an intresting glitch. Just near the waters edge after the runway. I got I was in water but you can clearly see I was not:

I think there are a few glitches in the biome system in a few areas. I got an EVA report from above the Mun's poles when I was above the equator with almost zero degrees inclination.

Filled these in:

UPDATE

DUNA

* Flying (0-12k)

* Upper Atmosphere (12k-42k)

* Space near Duna (42k-140k)

* Space high above Duna (140k-SOI)

Right now the Ice caps don't register as a separate biome. I'm busy the rest of the weekend, so someone else should update for Eve, Jool and moons.

Skipping through the thread I didn't find anyone else commenting on this, so I'll throw my own observations in:

Slowly spiraling in to Duna, I was forced into physical time warp at ~41,500m, however my instrumentation (thermometer, barometer) would not function until I got down around 31,000 or so. My persistence file has the following log in it:

Science
{
id = temperatureScan@DunaFlyingHigh
title = Temperature Scan from Duna's upper atmosphere
dsc = 1
scv = 0.01977059
sbv = 5
sci = 49.01147
cap = 50
}

I don't know what all those variables mean but unfortunately there's no apparent altitude included :( But at least "Upper Atmosphere" starts somewhere between 41,500 and ~30,000 meters!

=Smidge=

Aside from (obviously) being on the Mun biome map, does anyone know what qualifies a crater as a Midlands, etc crater? Does it have to be one of the pre-.21 craters? Or are some of the procedurally-generated craters counted, too? I dropped Jeb a kilometer down into a crater on the Midlands, expecting to get a bit more science, and was dissapointed that it wasn't cratered enough.

Found Tundra right very close to KSC....

I found that too, just didn't get as nice of a screenshot. Unless equatorial Kerbin is home to some freakishly cold weather (thanks no doubt to the insane density of the planet), then I think one if the Devs forgot to pull out their test biomes. ;)

heights for Jool

-flight (250 m - 119.5 km)

-upper atmosphere (119.5 km - 137.3 km)

-space near Jool (137.3 km - 4000 km)

137.3 is not low enough to sample the upper atmosphere of Jool. I don't know what the height is, but I could not sample the atmosphere during an aerobraking maneuver that was at approx 130km, it was telling me "near Jool" instead.

Needs verification.

Also, I confirmed Morden96's measurement, 25km is low enough to be near Bop.

Edited by Vector

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.