[WIP]Survival Pack for EVAs

Helix935

Looking good! I'll be getting on with that circuit board texture in an hour or so.

Can I just suggest using a different kind of texture? A circuit board is OK for the less external side of things, yes, but it isn't very stock. I could knock something up that's either high-visibility but still stock-esque, or something that's simply stock-esque... Or both (all 3 including circuit board)? Let me know which you'd like to see the most in order and I'll get to work :)

EDIT: By the way, just went to make them and realised I don't have a size yet... 1000px2?

sure you can do all three and yeah that size should be ok

@Proot i am trying to make this as realistic as possible but i try to keep in mind that it is also meant for expeditions on planets so that the kerbals can carry science equipent to places of interest but i will take your ideas into account.

Update (wow these are happening a lot are they):

new high detail model with larger-ish sized containers

http://imgur.com/a/uMgLB#0 album of various angles again

can someone please inform me if these are helpful or unnecessary.

What a beauty! Looks much, much better than any previous concept, immo. I love the small arm detail. But try to fit it a bit more deep in the stock backpack, now looks maybe too "plugged" (?).

And about the updates... are helpful for you? thats the question, you are the mod's author. ;)

I love the small arm detail.

well actually it is a small camera because i plan on having crew reports from it because i always thought that it seemed weird because the kerbals are still technically crew even though they are on EVAs so yeah

also i can do a more stock like look by adding some buttons on the side

if your wondering what the tube like thing on the side is, its there because i plan on using the old reflaginator by sirkut which will give the kerbals limitless flags(although if you look the RCS is broken) and if anyone is wondering what those other things look like on the side of the top container, they were suppose to be small batteries or even capacitors so that it can be used to resurrect probes

Update (wow these are happening a lot are they):

new high detail model with larger-ish sized containers

http://imgur.com/a/uMgLB#0 album of various angles again

can someone please inform me if these are helpful or unnecessary.

Yes, they are happening a lot. That's good, though. And yes, they are useful.

I do think that it sticks out a little too far now, however. If you were to show a realistic center of mass for a Kerbal that has it equipped, it would be too far back for them to stand. Maybe make it wider or taller (taller applies to the bottom too, don't forget), that should fix it :wink:. I like the style of it, though.

Update:

i removed the things on the side of the containers and made the containers bigger. I also added some square groupings of buttons on the side of the Rucksack although it hard to see in the album below. on the other side of the pack is a grouping of bars which are to represent small EVA propellant tanks to give a more stock look.

album

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pretty busy, but I've started work on the circuitboard. Should be done before GMT Midnight tomorrow, hopefully.

Edit/Disclaimer: I'd like to point out now that I have no idea how a circuitboard works, nor do I know anything about how this kind of circuit works. After some research, I'm able to create something that looks the part but the chances are that it's unrealistic in the sense that if it were to be built in real life it would be non-functional.

Edited by Shna_na

ok good to know also Shna_na i have another person in the race for texturer so once it is no longer between just you and Proot

Edit:Also the guy is named Redwork Studios|Redwork1 and as you can see i finally have an avatar

Edited by Helix935

The parts you are doing are so small you really don't need that much detail. The pack only takes up about 128 pixels of screen space and that is assuming your zoomed in close to your kerbal. You can save your self a lot of time and cut back on the detail and texture size, you will not see it most of the time anyways.

The parts you are doing are so small you really don't need that much detail. The pack only takes up about 128 pixels of screen space and that is assuming your zoomed in close to your kerbal. You can save your self a lot of time and cut back on the detail and texture size, you will not see it most of the time anyways.

yeah i know, people have told me that before but the reason for the detail is because this is made for use on EVAs so i expect people to be zooming in on their kerbal alot especially when in space

ok through much deliberations i have assessed that i lack some information involving who would be best suited for texturing my rucksack so i offer a solution i will send the model to Shna_na, Proot and Redwork Studios|Redwork1 who will make their own textures for the model and when they submit their version of the rucksack i will give the people the ability to choose which they can use for the rucksack. This way everyone will benefit from the increased choices and use of multiple textures.

also the new model well i did have one planned but i hit a bit of a snag

9T2Jc2L.png

as you can see (at the very left) the temp. texture is messed up making it semi transparent as some parts are still visible

sketchfab until i can fix it

It almost looks like your normals are not aligned to one direction. The sketchfab mesh with textures enabled makes it look like there are some inverted faces, if you rotate the model where the angle of the lighting reverses, you can see what I mean.

Untill you fix that issue, you're going to have broken textures and lighting.

It almost looks like your normals are not aligned to one direction. The sketchfab mesh with textures enabled makes it look like there are some inverted faces, if you rotate the model where the angle of the lighting reverses, you can see what I mean.

Untill you fix that issue, you're going to have broken textures and lighting.

ok as it turned out you were right and the faces became inverted during my editing so thank you

Edit: just so you know i am loading KSP as i am typing right now with the fixed faces and will post the album soon

Edited by Helix935

Good idea, I'll get on it soon. I'm a little snowed under at the moment with not much spare time, and the little spare time I do have is being devoted to the logo competition (something like that doesn't come around often enough for me, so I'm grabbing it by the reigns). That's why I haven't finished the circuitboard, too :P.

What if the model looked model like this?

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Third-STS-134-EVA-Underway-Outside-ISS-2.jpg

I can help because I'd like the ability to change EVA packs on my spacesuits mods...

i should mention that increasing its size to fit around the head of a kerbal would not look very good, trust me on that also i am still working on this as well as my other stuff

• 2 weeks later...

ok Update bump

after having some difficulties with trying to get the textures to work i realized that i need to learn a bit more about texturing and blender before i can actually make a release so i am getting back into this again

also looking at the recent suggestion i have reworked the model into something less boxy and more like an MMU which has less tris and should be easier to texture

http://imgur.com/a/3oxgJ#0

based of this picture of an mmu to be specific

th?id=HN.608014936526227752&pid=15.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.