High altitude balloons

Now that R&D has been added, do you think that balloons which you can attach science modules too should be added to the game? it would be great to get some early science points (though it would probably be only 2 or 3 from each mission). I think its kind of realistic, as its what NASA did before they sent things into space.

Good idea, although the implementation would be difficult. Also, these would be unmanned, and currently you have to have a manned pod early in the game.

Maybe instead of a probe module, there could be a special balloon module? It wouldn't need any kind of piloting or SAS. It would just need to transmit data back to the ground. And when you reach a certain altitude (65km?) maybe the balloon could pop and then a parachute could be activated so you can recover the module.

I think that's a very good idea. Later in the game we could send them to Jool to get some sweet atmo samples. For science!

Maybe for this, there could be an upgraded version of the Balloon Module specifically designed for a gas giants atmosphere? It would probably be very late in the tech tree though.

• 8 months later...
Great idea, just one problem, the inability to save and exit whilst in atmosphere, may pose significant problems.

You can save in atmo now, they changed it 0.23.5!

Not sure about this idea... I like it, but I hope that the balloons have a very low weight lifting capacity, and are quite expensive, or else they'll just replace rockets.

IMHO: No, something like that shouldn't be added, at least till the areodynamics engine is fixed to prevent ridiculously stupid abuses.

New aerodynamics code won't change anything in this case since balloons use buoyancy based on atmospheric density to fly, so they'll use a completely different piece code altogether. The only thing aerodynamics would influence with balloons would be drag if used to construct an airship. For pure ascent straight up drag changes nothing with balloons, it is is a non-issue for balloons since you are not using fuel to get up (where as for rockets and spaceplanes drag does change how much delta-v you need to get into orbit), hence unless Kerbin's atmospheric density/pressure profile was changed, no change in the aerodynamics would affect how good balloons would be in KSP.

Also they're fairly easy to balance since there's a clear altitude ceiling when the weight of the balloon is equal to the lift gained from buoyancy, adding more parts to it just reduces that maximum altitude. I imagine you could do some silly things with tiny ion engine probes with a small rocket orbital insertion stage attached to a balloon. But rockoons are also a thing even if not used much in real life. There's not much room for stupid abuses here if you ask me.

Edited by Pulstar

New aerodynamics code won't change anything in this case since balloons use buoyancy based on atmospheric density to fly,

1. Areodynamics would make flight path of a baloon much less predictable (especially in regards to rotation) and therefore pretty much unsuitable for space launch

2. It'd add buoyancy cause right now it doesn't exist in the game.

3. And with added buoyancy you'd need to have a proper air resistance to ensure that using baloons and rockets at the same time (or in general: using baloons anywhere in a middle stage of flight) ensures rather catastrophic drag instead of just adding a lifting force to the mounted rockets.

4. Hopefully improved areodynamics will prevent parachutes clipping (by this: spamming them will be counterproductive) and by this: also prevent baloon clipping (so again: spamming them would be counterproductive unless someone starts using brain).

But rockoons are also a thing even if not used much in real life. There's not much room for stupid abuses here if you ask me.

AFAIK none of the Rockoons reached an orbit.

Also note that none of the engines we have in the game comes even close to how small the rockoons were (ok, perhaps linear RCS thruster does come close, never the less: it lacks power comparing to the rockets)

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't mind baloons as such, however seeing issues with physics, areodynamics and clipping that the game has reassures me that they'd be used to nothing else but exploiting glitches.

Edited by Sky_walker

I see your point with clipping and I do agree with drag. But even so adding a large enough drag coefficient to the part would be sufficient with the current mechanics. And buoyancy for anything other than balloons isn't really needed, not sure why it would have to be part of the aerodynamic reworks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.