Caught at Sun's orbit

Hey, I just failed one manouvre and settled down at an orbit around Sun, appx. the same diameter as Kerbin's orbit around it. My question is - What is the best approach to launch myself to some other planet? I tried setting up multiple manouvres but none was successfull at catching a planet, it just changed my orbit. Can anyone help me, or at least tell me what should I do now? :D Thanks

launch at correct planetary phase alignment, boost your orbit so your escape trajectory will match your current orbital body's prograte or retrograde direction. the main point is getting to the point where the planet is at the same time the planet is there.

check this out

http://ksp.olex.biz/ it will tell you when to launch, when to begin burning in your orbit so your speed relative to the sun will be decreased or increased to match the orbital body you are wishing to go, you do not need to go to begin manuvers and burns to go to a planet. just use the burn at your current location, such as kerbin, if you are familiar with gravity assists, having tiny burns to make huge differences in your sun orbital trajectory, get to eve at the correct time from the correct way, from eve you can get to anywhere

no problem, it is explained on the site that it only gives information of trajectory between bodies orbiting the same body, like 2 planets, but not like kerbin to minmus or alike, i dont know why, it could have ben a great help if they ve added that,

I don't know why no one else has told you this (or maybe they did and i didn't read it) all you do is you take the site and plug in: kerbin -> eve. Then you take the phase angle given and just wait until the angle between eve and your craft is the phase angle that is given on the site. Your craft is now 'acting' as kerbin and you basically just make your orbit around the sun bigger as you would with any regular interplanetary burn only this time you don't need to exit kerbin first.

except if you want to go to a place why would you go to suns orbit to start adjusting anyway, just start immidiatly where you are, since beginning at suns orbit is a little bit off from anywher close to sun,

but beginning at kerbin is a nice way to have oobart affect on you to be more efficent, its usualy better to start from a planet than in sun orbit travel

You basically have two options:

1. Burn retrograde and intercept Eve's orbit, fix inclination and pray they'll eventually meet up.

2. Circularize at the nearest planet's orbit then use KSP Olex to find the phase angle. Since you're the "planet" you can use nodes to burn at the right angle and you might get an encounter like that.

Alright, update: I was able to set up a stable orbit around Jool, and then visit one of his moons. However, right now I have to activate the infinite fuel cheat, because I don't have enough fuel to return back to Kerbin. I don't wanna terminate the flight too, I don't wanna loose Jeb :)

Hi there. I used to do all my interplanetary transfers from solar orbit (I no longer do, because it wastes fuel). So the way to get to a planet from a solar orbit is like getting to the Mun from Kerbin orbit:

1) Select your destination planet as your destination by right clicking on the planet.

2) Use a maneuver node on some point in your orbit, and play with the prograde/retrograde sliders until your orbit overlaps the orbit of your target planet.

3) Slide the maneuver node around your orbit until you see a Sphere-of-Influence (SoI) intercept.

3b) If nowhere on your orbit results in an intercept, Time accelerate through one complete orbit of the sun, then repeat step 3.

4) Once you have that intercept, make your burn. You should evenly space the burn so that half of the burn takes place immediately before the node, and half takes place immediately after. If you begin buring at the node, you may not make it. This means doing math in you head (suggested burn time/2). If you cannot do the math in your head, then turn time acceleration down long before you ever reach the node, and do the math on paper or with a calculator.

5) After your burn, cancel the node, wait a few seconds, then plan an adjustment burn using another maneuver node a little further into your orbit. Play with all the sliders until you are close enough to the planet to that it is visibly curing the orbit. If you're headed back to Kerbin, try for a collision course.

6) Wait.

7) Once you enter the target planet's SOI, prepare a circulization burn as you would around the Mun or Minmus. If you're on a collision course for Kerbin, separate the capsule and let gravity do the rest. Do NOT deploy your chutes above 4000m unless landing in mountains, as this will be a high-G reentry.

Again, this wastes fuel, and your ship will arrive at its destination with little or no fuel left for a powered landing. Unless you have a really good fuel tanker waiting in the wings, this is a one-way trip, or this is a probe, I'd abort and start over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.