what is the difference between the antennas?

im just playing around with the new .22 update and i can not really get the difference between the antennas?

the only thing I noticed was that the first you get is the best one and i think it is kind of backwards in the tech-tree.

does anybody else have an idea about this?

The better antennae lose less science when transmitting.

This is not true, they all have the same rate of loss.

Relative to the starter Communotron 16, the medium dish takes 80% as much time and 150% as much power for the same amount of data. The large dish takes 60% as much time and 200% of the power. Because of the power increases for transmitting the same amount of data, unless your craft has enough power to keep an antenna transmitting 80% of the time, you'll actually be able to transmit faster using a lower antenna.

I don't think that's true. It's actually worse than that - the higher antennae up the tech tree are listed as having LOWER percentages of science retention. If you transmit with a low antenna, it retains 0.6 of the science, but the higher ones have values of 0.4.

Relative to the starter Communotron 16, the medium dish takes 80% as much time and 150% as much power for the same amount of data. The large dish takes 60% as much time and 200% of the power. Because of the power increases for transmitting the same amount of data, unless your craft has enough power to keep an antenna transmitting 80% of the time, you'll actually be able to transmit faster using a lower antenna.

Given the increases in transmission time and power required, i think the "better" antennae really should have accordingly reduced loss rate when transmitting... As it is there is no real reason to use other than Communotrons, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.