The Kerbin Science Institute

Skyrunner27

The Kerbin Science Instiutute

qtbKtpm.png

Prologue

The meeting that started it all

Jefferson: Gentlemen, today I have assembled you to help form an agency for science that the Unified Kerbin Government (UKG) has ordered us to create. Let’s start by introducing ourselves.

Bob: Hello, I am one of the leading designers in the Astronomy Agency or AA. I led the team that discovered the celsestial body we now call the mun

Dale: I am Dale the creator of the Kerbinwide communication system that allows for instant communication anywhere on Kerbin using underground wires.

Fred: Good day gentlemen, I was voted top Kerbin scientist by Science daily and Science monthly and Science bi-weekly…

Bob: But what did you do?!

Fred: I worked laboriously over months to research the moss that grows all over Kerbin.

Bob: They let a Biologist in here!

Dale: Biology isn’t even a real science the only species there even are, are the moss and us Kerbals.

Jefferson: Men! Men! Calm down, I assure you Fred’s work has helped science in general significantly.

Bob: Significantly, even I can stare at moss for a few hours. Why did we not get a useful scientist like Shergas Kerman in Geology.

Jefferson: Look he is here can you get over it! Hello, I am Jefferson I helped create the explosive that helped unify Kerbin. You may have heard of it they call it Unity.

Bob: Okay, so what do we need to do?

Jefferson: Our agenda for today is to find a location, a name, and a leader for the organization.

Dale: I think I know the perfect location for the site.

Jefferson: Where would that be?

Dale: On this map it is that small peninsula on the east side of the continent with the Lesser Kerbin Desert. It provides a location close to a lot of biomes to help with research.

0p7dbff.png

Fred: That area also has a small moss population making sure the main population is unaffected.

Dale: Sure that’s why I chose the location.

Jefferson: So let’s vote on it. All for say Aye.

All: Aye

Jefferson: Okay, so it is unanimous we are choosing this location. Now we need a leader, I suggest Gene Kerman. He is a commander in the UKG. I met him during a conference on explosions I was the guest speaker. Here is a picture of him.

314c8fb27832168460f3eccfc67cd7360db2b53c.jpg

Fred: I don’t trust him

Dale: Why?

Fred: You don’t work as long as I do in the field of biology…

Dale: Exactly, because nobody but you works in the field of biology.

Fred: As I was saying, You don’t work as long as I do in the field of biology without being able to judge a book by its cover.

Jefferson: We still need to vote. All in favor say Aye.

Bob, Dale, Jefferson: Aye

Jefferson: All opposed.

Fred: Nay

Jeffeson: It is three to one. Looks like Gene is the leader of the organization. Finally we need a name.

Bob: How about the Kerbin Aeronautics and Space Administration or KASA for short.

Dale. No that seems too long we need and we need something more science in general base like the KSI or the Kerbin Science Instiution

Bob: Actually I like that idea better.

Jefferson: Lets vote. All in favor say Aye.

All: Aye

Jefferson: This clearly passes. I can now divulge the information I was given. The Mission of this organization is to put a Kerbal on the Mun before some time in the future.

P.S. Thank you for reading this it is my first writing and I would like any kind of Feedback you can give

P.P.S. The point of this story is to go through Yargnit's tech tree with a harder level of science and see if I can make an interesting story.

Chapter 1

The Facilities

nk5ZsH9.png

Bob: Hey Bill, Hey Jeb, Did you guys see the news last night.

Jeb: No, I was up all night trading prepping my company for the contract with the KSI.

Bill: (Puts down cup of coffee) Neither did I. I was errr…..sleeping! Yeah, I was sleeping. I was sleeping in my bed here. I was definitely not climbing up K^2 last night and then sliding down it.

Bob: Oh, the Kerbin News Network (KNN) was doing an interview with Jefferson, Dale, Fred, and me about the KSI and its mission of putting a kerbal on the moon.

Bill: How’d the media spin it?

Bob: What do you mean?

Bill: You now all the major news networks always have a spin. How’d they spin it? Were they pro or con to the KSI.

Bob: Well if you put it that way I would say that were overall supportive to the idea of putting a man on the moon. They did skip over most of the part about the other missions of the KSI.

Bill: See this is where they getcha. (Starts to examine his cup of coffee) Anyway, I’m going to make another cup of coffee. Anyone want some

Bob: No, I’m on a no coffee diet

Jeb: I don’t want any either, but if you see a bottle of scotch I would gladly take that instead.

(Jefferson quickly runs in)

Jeffeson: Hello Bob, I have some big news for you today.

Bob: What is it.

Jefferson: I just got off the phone with the boys at mission control and they have made their decision for the first person to go on a mission.

Kerbonauts: Who?

Jefferson: They have chosen Bob…

Jeb: Oh come on I funded the entire KSI with the money from my company.

Jefferson: Don’t get too excited yet though they have chosen Bob to be the crew on the launch simulation

Bob: A launch simulation. Why?

Jefferson: Mission control wants to run down the pre-flight protocol while Dale fixes the over air comm systems. Wait, has Jeb and Bob seen the rest of the facilities.

Bob: Well Jeb hasn’t but I am not so sure about Bob, who did not climb up K^2 last night.

Jefferson: Okay, so here we have the Kerbonaut complex. Her you kerbonats will relax between launches. We have a gym, cafeteria, snack bar, rooms upstairs, 5 bathrooms, 200 fire extinguishers, rec room, 6 coffee machines, and over 500 chairs. Any questions?

pLkPpxO.png

Bill: Yes, why are there only 6 coffee machines we need like 3 times more.

Jefferson: Umm…. I ‘m not going to answer that.

Bill: Question 2, Why are there only 6 coffee machines.

Jefferson: Let’s move on to the space plane Hanger.

(Scene change SPH)

XnEvbzy.png

Jefferson: Here we are at the space plane hanger

Jeb: What is a plane?

Jefferson: I don’t exactly know but the scientists who work here hav assured me it is nessacary.

Bob: So this place is boring where next.

Jefferson: To the VAB!

(Scene Change)

Jefferson: Welcome to the VAB where scientists are working diligently to build the Zeus-1. This is where I work helping to set the explosives into the vehicle.

cHdz5oH.png

Bob: That doesn't sound safe to put explosives in launch vehicle.

Jeb: Yeah, why are we sitting on the top of an e-ex-explosive?

Jefferson: Don’t think of the rocket as an explosive think of it like a slow high velocity candle.

Jeb: That eliminates the chance for an e-ex-explosion.

Jefferson: There is a 35% chance of an explosion on launch. That should be no problem for the founder of Jebbadiah Junkyard should it. Why, Here comes Wernher Von

Kerman, basic rocketry scientist.

2wXcFQz.png

Wernher: Why hello Jefferson. Who are these people, and why are they in my VAB.

Jefferson: Wernher, these are Bill, Bob, and Jebbadiah Kerman they are the Kerbonauts. Bob is the leading astronomer on the team he was at the original meeting. Bill is the famous adventurer. Jeb is the owner and founder of Jebbadiah Junkyard. His company was given the contract to design the rockets.

Wernher: Ahh. Jebbadiah I love your solid rocket booster as you can see here it is the major part of the Zeus rocket.

Jefferson: Looks like you have it fine here so I think we will be moving to the tracking station.

(Scene Tracking Station)

ys1DeQ9.png

Dale: Jefferson! It feels like I haven’t seen you in decades.

Jefferson: I saw you yesterday

Dale: Yes that’s why It has felt like years. You have checked on my progress every minute except for today. It also seems you have brought along the Kerbonauts.

Jefferson: How did you know they were…

Dale: I invented the Kerbinwide communication system let’s just say news gets around.

Bob: Looks like you have done a lot since I left you after the meeting.

Dale: Oh yes, I currently have been working on taking the system from ground only to being able to transmit info to the capsule itself. I was the one who selected you for the Zeus Launch Simulator. Since the rocket will be a carbon copy of the Zeus rocket. I decided to choose you because I was afraid of Jeb or Bob pressing the staging button and launching the thing before we had groundless communication up.

Jefferson: It’s been great meeting you but we are running out of time and need to talk to mission control before the simulation.

(Scene Change Mission Control)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZnrscVbrFly3jxILj8mqxg1m12HyQ7pkPk0s-eC9Q1kWOoI3S

Jefferson: Welcome to mission control. I would avoid running into anyone while they are going into final preperations.

Bill: Who are all these people I thought we were going to fly these rockets by the seat of our pants.

Jefferson: Well I will let someone else describe the crew. Gene!

Gene: (Startled) Jefferson! I didn’t see you there what brings you to this mission control on this wonderful day.

Jefferson: Oh, I was just showing the Kerbonauts around. They also need to be trained of whoeach of the flight crew is.

Gene: Okay, that’s easy. Over there we will have Capsule command, and that will be one of you. Over there we roger who is in command of the rotational controls. Over there we have Franklin who is control of fuel operations. Stan is range officer and has the ability to abort a mission if it endangers the public. Booster is the launch vehicle expert and the representative of VAB scientists including Jefferson. Finally, David is the CCTV officer. More information will come during the flight test which is starting in one minute. So Bob I need you to get dressed and get into the capsule. Bill and Jeb you can stay also Jeb your running CAPCOM. Attention mission control! We go live in one minute. Hold onto your socks.

-Authors Notes-

This and the next chapter were supposed to be one chapter but I found it was getting a bit large so this is the first chapter. Again feedback is requested and yes it can be negative or positive feedback.

Chapter 2

The Fake Flight

314c8fb27832168460f3eccfc67cd7360db2b53c.jpg

Gene: Battlestations people! Booster status on the location of the Zeus-LS.

Booster: Vehicle is out of the VAB and heading to the launch pad. ETA 1 minute

Gene: Copy that. Jeb are you set up for CAPCOM position

CAPCOM: Roger that gene I am ready for some real action.

(Fred comes running in)

Gene: Fred running it a little close to launch

Fred: Well I would like you to try to put sensors on a Kerbonaut who thinks he can put it on himself

CAPCOM: Fred none of the Kerbonauts need help getting dressed. Except maybe Bill.

Bob: (Far away) Hey I heard that!

Gene: Look guys we need to focus. Remember Jeb, Bill is CAPCOM on the next flight. I wouldn’t mess with him before your flight.

Dale: Gene you weren’t supposed to reveal that yet. The press will be all over it in a matter of seconds.

Gene: Oh come on that’s an exaggeration

Dale: You think it is. David pull up KNN on the right screen.

David: Copy

KNN Anchor #1: We have just have received confirmed reports that Jebbadiah Kerman…

Jeb: I never liked my full name.

KNN Anchor #1:..will be flying the Zeus-1 rocket and became the first kerbonaut to fly.

KNN Anchor #2: I’ve been doing research on the Kerbonauts ever since their names were released two hours ago, and I here that Jebbadiah…

Jeb: errrrrrrrrrr

KNN Anchor#2: … Has been caught up in an illegal snack trading operation.

Jeb: Turn that junk off!

(David turns off screen)

Gene: Wait is that true Jeb.

Jeb: No it isn’t true. I never have even eaten a snack in my life.

Fred: You know I will have to do test.

Jeb: I don’t have to take any tests

Fred: Jeb, If you don’t take the test you won’t be flying.

Booster: Zeus-LS has reached the pad. Launch crews have begun to attach communication lines.

Gene: We can deal with that later.

Fred: Gene if he has been eating illegal snacks he can’t be CAPCOM

Jeb: Fine I’ll take the fracking test if you want me to if we can end this discussion.

Fred: Okay, we can take it later but now we need to focus.

Booster: Launch crew has cleared the pad. Bob is inside and ready for contact on your call

Gene: David Pull up water tower cam

David: Copy pulling up watertower cam on the right screen.

OspyYaV.png

Gene: Dale put Bob on the line.

Dale: Transmission live

David: Transmissions being recorded and sent over the air waves. Congratulations we have achieved the first live broadcast in Kerbin history.

Gene: Haha. CAPCOM Uhh… Can we get an update for the crew?

CAPCOM: Hay Bob hows it going on in the capsule

Bob: It is kinda cramped in here. Over.

CAPCOM: Received your message loud and clear.

Gene: David can we get a better image of Bob.

David: Kerbonaut cam going up onto the center screen in three…two…one…screen up

5rGPLHr.jpg

CAPCOM: Bob what you can see from the capsule.

Bob: I see a lot of blue sky in front of me.

TOFlpTg.png

Gene: With the communication up we are about to run the simulation. We first need to do the tests. Starting with Roger.

Roger: Copy that Gene. Bob can you hear me.

Bob: I can here you Rotational control.

Roger: Okay, I am about to turn on the SAS can you confirm that the SAS light turned on.

Bob: No, I cannot.

Roger: Yeah we haven’t turned it on yet. Testing SAS in Three…Two…One…Test

zGocPR7.png

Bob: Can confirm SAS has turned on.

Roger: Test successful. Turning off SAS in Three…Two…One…Test

Bob: The light has turned off.

Franklin: Bob, this is fuel control center.

Bob: I read you Franklin.

Franklin: I need you to jiggle that lever

Bob: Jiggling commensing in three…two…one…Jiggling

VDJ8veY.png

Franklin: I can confirm your jiggling

Gene: Hey David can I get the ground cam up on the screen.

David: Sure thing

Yb8NqO0.png

Gene: How are vitals Fred

Fred: Vitals are good

Gene: Dale is the telemetry set up.

Dale: Yep

Gene: Dale what is the weather like.

Dale: Sunny, no winds, 0% chance of precipitation.

Gene: Okay, We go into voting now. Say Go or No go the vote must be unanimous. Range Officer

Stan: Go

Gene: Rot controller

Roger: Go

Gene: Transmission and telemetry

Dale: Go

Gene: CCTV

David: Go

Gene: Fuel

Franklin: Go

Gene: CAPCOM

CAPCOM: GO

Gene: Pilot

CAPCOM: Are you ready Bob

Bob: Ready as I will ever be

CAPCOM: Bob’s ready to kick butt

Gene: Ready for countdown. CAPCOM will you do the honors

CAPCOM: T- 10…9…8...

Bob: Wait! Is this an actual launch?

Gene: Holding countdown at 8 Seconds. No Bob we are simply having a launch simulation. Your only task is a small science experiment during launch. Roll back to 10 Seconds then resume launch. Go

CAPCOM.

CAPCOM: T-10…9…8…7…All systems are go...5…4…3…2…1…Ignition and we have lift off of Zeus-LS to test the limits of Mission Control.

avRaA0W.png

Gene: Knock it off with the jokes Jeb. Your still not off the hook.

Dale: Vehicle is on nominal trajectory.

Franklin: Fuel is nominal

Gene: Roger initiate SAS

Roger: Copy

Dale: We’ve had a failure.

h6pdWhK.png

Franklin: Fuel rates have plummeted.

Dale: Vehicle going off course.

zDUDLHZ.png

Stan: Get that thing under control

Gene: Stan blow that thing up and so help me…

CAPCOM: Bob…Bob come in

Bob: Roger?

CAPCOM: Bob do you have any control over the craft.

Bob: Uh… yes?

CAPCOM: Gene Bob reporting a loss of control.

9lLNdTR.png

Bob: No I still have control.

Stan: 30 seconds till detonation.

Gene: No, Stan. CAPCOM tell Bob to log the experiment. Even if we can’t save him maybe we can recover the experiment data.

Roger: No response has been given from the craft.

CAPCOM: Log the experiment Bob and may the gods bless you for you sacrifice.

Bob: Sure, running experiment now.

2IxjrlH.png

Stan: 20 seconds till detonation

Gene: Thank you for your service Bob. (Sheds a tear) Goodbye. Contingency plans are now in action. Lock the doors and warn the public. David shutdown the feed we are going into contingency mode.

Dale give me all transactions and telemetry data.

Stan:10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…Detonation mission terminated.

dqnZdS7.png

Gene: Will the last one out of mission control please turn out the lights.

Bob: Hey guys. Guys! GUYS! Can someone get me out of the capsule………………………………….I think there are rats in here.

Gene: Yeah, can some one please recover Bob to get the .3 science from the experiment.

cMCb4qi.png

Chapter 3

Jeb’s Self-Inspection

(KNN Intro comes up onto a screen in the Astronaut complex)

KNN Anchor #1: Good evening Kerbin. We bring you to a breaking news story on the future kerbonaut Jebbadiah Kerman.

KNN Anchor #2: It has been reported by Dr. Fred Kerman that within 10 minutes Jebbadiah Kerman will be brought to the Kerbin Main Infirmary for a medical test. Prior to the launch testing of the Zeus exploration vehicle with Kerbonaut Dr. Bob Kerman, a report was found that accused Jebbadiah of illegal snack trading.

KNN Anchor #1: The report came from the Bureau of Snack Nutrition. It stated that Jebbadiah’s company was found illegally shipping illegal snacks across the global oceans. The report goes on to say that Jebbadiah’s company was not being held responsible, but the captain of the cargo vessel that was carrying the illegal snacks was arrested and imprisoned for fifty years.

KNN Anchor #2: Repots are currently coming in from our field reporter that Jebbadiah’s helicopter is about to land at the infirmary. We go to Samuel at the Kerbin Main Infirmary.

(Scene changes: Night in front of the Kerbin Main Infirmary, a helicopter is heard in the distance)

Samuel the field reporter: [Explicitive] aww, I stepped into dog feces

Cameraman: (Mumbles inaudibly)

Samuel the field reporter: Wait, I’m on the air.

(Camera nods to indicate yes)

Samuel the field reporter: Hello Kerbin, I am here at the Kerbin Main Infirmary.(Holds up hand to ear) Wait you already said that. Okay, over there you can see Jebbadiah’s helicopter coming in.

(Scene change: Helicopter Jeb, Fred, and two unnamed technicians sit in a circle)

Fred: You couldn't just come in like a normal person

Jeb: This isn’t normal? I find this the only way to go to the hospital.

Fred: Yeah real normal to tell every one of the media outlets you are coming here. Not only that but, you choose this hospital because of the shortest distance

to the KNN building.

Jeb: You brought me here because of a rumor you heard from the KNN, so I thought why not invite them to my testing. A helicopter makes for a great

entrance.

Fred: You know what Jeb, you’re a real show off. Nothing you have done has been to support anyone.

Jeb: Name one time that I have tried to upshow anyone.

Fred: Right now. You are trying to make a big deal out of a simple test. If you had just went to the small clinic near the KSI no one would have cared.

Jeb: I only wanted to make sure the tests were accurate.

Pilot: Touchdown in 30 seconds.

Jeb: Looks like showtime

Fred: See this is how you act to everything. Jebbadiah …

Jeb: You know I hate my full name.

Fred: JEBBADIAH!!! the great founder and owner of Jebbadiah Junkyard. The man who can do nothing wrong. Jeb the fearless. Jeb the great. If only they knew

your secret.

Jeb: You have a problem with me.

Fred: Yes!! I am tired of your attention hogging.

Jeb: Whatever.

(Helicopter touches down)

(Scene change: Exterior shot of the helicopter, hundreds of reporters form an aisle to the doors of the Infirmary, cameras flash)

(Doors open)

Jeb: Hello Kerbin Main Infirmary

Reporter #1: Jeb is it true what they are saying

Reporter #2: Can I have an exclusive interview

Reporter #3: What is your favorite food.

Reporter #4: Did your company test its products on animals.

Reporter #5: How do you feal about your companies falling stock

Jeb: wait what?

(As Jeb walks down between the reporters one runs out and grabs him by the arm. Quickly another follows on his other arm resulting in a tug of war. Jeb breaks

free and runs towards the automatic sliding door. All the reporters except one surround Jeb as he waits for the sliding door.)

Fred: See what happens when the media turns against you.

Reporter #6: Are you Doctor Fred Kerman

Fred: Yes I am. Do you want an interview?

Reporter #6: Yes, but it looks like you might want to save Jeb.

Fred: No, He can save himself.

Reporter #6: I am from Kerbin Geographic and I only want to ask one question. How does it feel to be part of the KSI?

Fred: Well it all started three month ago during a meeting with Bob, Dale, Jefferson, and me…..

(Jeb is seen barely squeezing through the door. He jumps over the reception booth to take a stand against the reporters. Soon the press starts to flood the

waiting room. He begins to answer questions)

Fred:…and that is how it feels to be part of the KSI

Reporter # 6: wow that was riveting.

Fred: Looks about time for Jeb’s testing.

(Fred runs into the building and rescues Jeb. He drags him through a set of double doors and tells him to follow. Six more doors follow finally they stop in a dark

room. The only light is on a operation table in the center of the room. Six or Seven doctor surround the table. Fred goes into the dark)

Jeb: Wait what is going on here.

Fred: Jeb, Jeb, Jeb. You wanted to make a big deal over the test, so we are going to make sure you get you thorough test. We are going to do a full test to

make sure you are in perfect condition physically for the launch. It is one of the reasons Bill has not launched yet.

Jeb: I thought I just had to pee in a cup.

Fred: You did, but then you chose to come here. Congrats on the upgrade though.

Jeb: You can’t do this. Not without my consent.

Fred: Jeb just be calm.

(The two unnamed people grab Jeb and force him into the chair and put on the restraints)

Jeb: murgmf, arsshful. No stop this Fred I’ll do whatever you say

Fred: (Holding the anesthesia mask) Jeb don’t struggle you will wake in a few days and be fine.

Jeb A few days!

Fred: (Putting the mask on Jeb while Jeb struggles to get out of the restraints) Just think of it as going (voice starts to fade, vision blurs, colors separate)sleep

for a long amount of time.

Jeb: (Stops resisting) Is anyone else tired. Passes out)

(Scene Change: Jeb’s Mind, Child)

Jeb’s Mother: Jebbadiah Kerman what did you do?

Jeb: I didt do anythng.

Jeb’s Mother: Well if you didn’t do it then who did.

Jeb: Bwelly did it

Jeb’s Mother: Now Jeb, Billy is imaginary and could have not done it.

Jeb: He did do it. I sawed him.

Jeb’s Mother: Then why didn’t you get me.

(Scene Change: Jeb’s Mind, Preteen)

Jeb’s Father: I don’t know how we are going to make it through the month Rosemary.

Jeb’s Mother: Harold, we will make it how we usally do through faith in Squad.

Jeb: Mom, some of the kids at school tell me Squad doesn’t exist.

Jeb’s Mother: Only a few years ago those same people doubted the existence of Kerbin itself, but it is here as always.

Jeb’s Father: But faith doesn’t pay the bills

(Scene Change: Jeb’s Mind, teenager)

Jeb’s Mother: Honey

Jeb: Yes mom

Jeb’s Mother: (Holding back tears) Last night, your father was killed in a car accident.

Jeb: What!?

Jeb’s Mother: He was hit by a driver under the influence of illegal snacks.

Jeb: I’ll kill him.

Jeb’s mother: Don’t be angry Jeb that driver will pay for what he did by imprisonment and fines.

(Scene change: Jeb’s mind,graduation)

Jeb’s Valedictorian: We the class of 201 shall always be remembered. No matter where we go we can always achieve our dreams. Congratulations guys, we

have graduated.

(Scene change: Jeb’s Mind, military career)

Sergeant: Private Jeb stands straight up.

Jeb: Yes sir.

Sergeant: Men, today we fight to unify Kerbin. Are you willing to fight?

Soldiers: Yes Sir.

Sergeant: Today we will be training with the new explosive Unity. Caleb you are first up.

Caleb: Yes sir.

(Caleb grabs the explosive and heads out to the field.)

Caleb: What now sir?

Sergeant: The explosive is simple. First, pull the string out. Second, throw it. Third run for your life.

Jeb: Good luck Caleb.

Sergeant: Jeb don’t talk out of line.

Caleb: (to himself) okay, here ya go. String, throw,…..then what…

Jeb: Run!!!!!

(Caleb turns around but is too slow. The explosive detonates turning Caleb into bits.)

(Scene change: Jeb’s Mind, Buying the land for the junkyard)

Retailer: So you want to buy some property today do ya.

Jeb: Yes

Retailer: So, what are you going to use the land for.

Jeb: I am going to make a junkyard.

Retailer: Hahahahahahaha…haha..ha. Wait you are not joking.

Jeb: No, I want to build a junkyard.

Retailer: Okay, here is a bit of land you can take, but what are you going to pay with.

Jeb: Cash

Retailer: No, what is your collateral

Jeb: None, I am giving you cash right here right now for a piece of property.

Retailer: Well that is a lot of cash. Were’d you get it.

Jeb: I have been saving it since I was young for this purpose.

Retailer: So do you want the land.

Jeb: Yes

Retailer: Then we have a deal young man.

(Scene change: Jeb’s Mind, grand opening of Jebbadiah’s Junkyard.)

Jeb: and I declare this junkyard open for business. And the nonexistent crowd roars with excitement.

(Scene change: Jeb’s Mind, Deal with the KSI)

Bob: Jebbadiah is it.

Jeb: No it is Jeb.

Bob: It says here your name is Jebbadiah, and you are the owner of Jebbadiah Junkyard.

Jeb: The last part is correct. My name is Jeb.

Bob: Right. Any who the Kerbal Science Institute would like to start a contract with you.

Jeb: What do you want.

Bob: We would like to get some parts you have in there.

Jeb: Sure, one thing. I will be a scientist.

Bob: Have you done any scientific work in the past.

Jeb: No

Bob: Then I am sorry Jeb you cannot be a scientist, but I do need test pilots. Would you be willing to risk your life for science inorder to get some parts.

Jeb: Why didn’t you lead with that.

(Jeb and Bob shake hands.)

-Authors note

I had to split chapters again. I just really wanted to give Jeb reasons for what he did.

Edited by Skyrunner27

Chapter 4

To the Heavens...Errr...Maybe

(Fred and a group of students surround Jeb who is in a bed.)

Fred: Jeb…Jeb wake up…Jeb!

Jeb: murmph

Fred: Here is the result of long termed exposure to Nitrous Oxide.

Jeb: Waaaawwawawawawwwaaaa

Fred: Jeb you need to wake up.( to the students) You may be dismissed.

Jeb: (suddenly) Wait! Where am I?

Fred: Jeb you are still at the Infirmary. We need to get you home.

Jeb: Give me a minute to get some more sleep.

Fred: Jeb we need to go now. Your flight rocket is in the last steps of construction.

Jeb: What! We need to go now.(Jumps out of bed)

Fred: Good you’re ready. It will take us a while to get out of the building.

Jeb: Why?

Fred: That press you brought here, they are crowded all the exits. The helicopter is ready, so if you can get out you should.

Jeb: Come on, there can’t be that many reporters. Let’s go.

(Fred and Jeb leave the room. Outside Jeb is swarmed by reporters.)

Fred: (Mockingly) Oh there can’t be that many reporters.

(Scene Change: KSI helicopter landing)

Bob: Jeb your back finally. How’d the tests go.

Jeb: I don’t know how did they go Fred.

Fred: Well, I am here to officially announce that Jebba…

Jeb: Urrg

Fred: (clears throat) I mean Jeb has been cleared off all charges and is cleared to fly.

Gene: Good. Good. Okay, Jeb you need to go down to the Kerbonaut Complexand get fitted with your flight suit. Fred you need to go with him.

Fred: Roger that. Come on Jeb.

Gene: Bill you will act as Capcom for this flight.

Bill: Okey-dokey

Bob: What will I do?

Gene: I need you Bob to help David operate the CCTV cameras.

Bob: Cool.

Gene: We need to get down to the Mission Control building.

(Scene Change Mission Control)

Gene (Flight Director): Good morning team. I would like to congratulate all of you on the successful simulation with the Zeus-LS. Today we will be flying the

Zeus-1. Remember our primary goal is to keep Jeb safe on his ride into the heavens. Bill Kerman will be CAPCOM on today’s flight. This is still a test but it will be

an active test. This is also our first launch with a count down. I all hope you received the countdown pamphlet.

Bill(CAPCOM): What is that Jeb? Okay, yep, gotcha. Jeb wants to know if you added his 79 page amendment to it.

Gene(Flight Director): 79 Page amendment! What for?

Bill(CAPCOM): He says it will make the launch more dramatic. It mostly has to do with David’s CCTV cameras

David(CCTV Specialist) Tell him I already have enough to deal with, without him. I also deal with giving the feed to the Media.

Bill(CAPCOM): He Jeb David says he has enough to deal with.

Jeb(Zeus-1): I thought they wanted the launch to appeal to the public to get more funding.

Bill(CAPCOM): Jeb is wondering about the programs funding.

Gene(Flight Director): Tell him we can talk about this later.

Bill (CAPCOM) : Jeb stop talking, because Gene looks a bit annoyed.

Jeb (Zeus-1) : I’ll stop talking…………..FOR NOW!!!!

Bill(CAPCOM): Jeb is good.

Gene(Flight Director): Copy, we are beginning countdown now. T- 3:00 till liftoff of Zeus-1. David begin transmitting feed from ground camera.

David(CCTV specialist): Ground Camera is up and clear. Dale you are clear to begin transmission.

54xYoTY.png

Dale(Telemetry/communication officer): Transmitting to twenty different media outlets.

Booster (Rocket Scientist Representative): The VAB has cleared the Zeus-1 rocket for lift off.

Gene (Flight Director): Copy, T- 2:45 till launch. Clock is still holding steady.

Roger (Rotational Control Officer): Can I get a conformation regarding the SAS and rotational vectors test.

Gene (Flight Director) : I was hoping you could get those in at T- 2:00.

Booster (Rocket Scientist Representative): Zeus- 1 has reached the pad. They will begin refueling on your mark.

Gene (Flight Director) : Are the communication lines set up. T-2:20

Booster (Rocket Scientist Representative) : The pad is saying they have the lines up.

Gene (Flight Director): We need to make a quick check of communications with the capsule Dale.

Dale (Telemetry/communication officer): CAPCOM are you ready for tests.

Bill (CAPCOM): What kinds of tests. An endurance test, a strength test, or a speed test.

Dale (Telemetry/communication officer): The communication tests with the capsule.

Bill (CAPCOM): uhh, Roger, I will begin on your mark.

Dale (Telemetry/communication officer): Testing in 3…2…1…test

Bill (CAPCOM) : Testing testing 1 2 3. Can you read me Zeus-1

Jeb (Zeus-1): I read you loud and clear. How long do I have till lift off.

Bill (CAPCOM): You have about 2 minutes.

Roger (Rotational Control Officer): Wait what, I need to run tests. CAPCOM tell Zeus-1 to check his instrument displays.

Bill (CAPCOM): Hey Zeus-1, I need you to check your instrument display for rotational checks.

Jeb (Zeus-1) : Copy, the sensors are currently reading 0 for all vectors.

Roger (Rotational Control Officer): Testing Y in 3…2…1…good X in 3…2…1…good Rotation in 3…2…1…solid. We are go for launch.

Gene (Flight Control) : Communication can we get the readings from the capsule.

Dale (Telemetry/Communications officer): Yes, it seems all readings are good.

Gene (Flight Director): That’s good. T-1:30

Booster (Rocket Scientist Representative): Pad is waiting for orders to refuel.

Gene (Flight Director): Franklin are you ready for the refueling.

Franklin (Fuel Officer): Pad has my permission to begin refueling now that the equipment has been tested.

Jeb (Zeus-1): Wait did he just say their refueling my rocket.

Bill (CAPCOM) Yes Jeb, If you want to fly you are going to need fuel.

Jeb (Zeus-1): But that means I am sitting on top of a b..b..b.bo.bom..bom…BOMB!

Bill (CAPCOM): Booster what is the current success ratio with this Booster

Booster (Rocket Scientist Representative): Jefferson put the fail rate at 30%.

Bill (CAPCOM) : Jeb the explosives under you are perfectly safe.

Jeb (Zeus-1): Whatever you say Bill

Gene (Flight Director): T-1:00 and

20 seconds till Weather check. David go to Watertower cam

AxgBRiF.png

David (CCTV specialist): Copy.

Bill (CAPCOM) : How are you doing in there Jeb.

Jeb (Zeus-1) : Well there is little room to move. I can kind of move the throttle. If someone rips off the hatch I am going to flow out like champagne.

Fred (Biologist) : CAPCOM ask Jeb if he feels hot.

Bill (CAPCOM): The Biologist wants to know if you feel hot.

Jeb (Zeus-1) : You know, now that you ask that it is getting kind of hot in here.

9XtiXtC.png

Gene (Flight Director): Fred does that change any of the plans for the launch?

Fred (Biologist): No, but I need it for the data.

Gene (Flight Control): That is good. We need the Weather check.

Dale (Telemetry/communication Officer): No wind and it is sunny and clear.

Gene (Flight Director): Stan does that mess up your department.

Stan (Range Officer): No, baring the weather the range is clear we are go for launch.

Gene (Flight Control) : T-0:30. We need to go through the Go/no go checks. Health

Fred (Biologist): Go for launch

Gene (Flight Director): Rot

Roger (Rot control officer): Go

Gene (Flight Director): Pad

Booster (Rocket Scientist Representative): Zeus-1 is fueled. Pad is cleared. We are go for launch.

Gene (Flight Director): Communications

Dale (Telemetry/communication officer): Lines are open we are go for launch.

Gene(Flight Director): CAPCOM and Zeus-1

Bill(CAPCOM): Are you ready Jeb.

0ktMZq9.png

Jeb (Zeus-1): I just want to get of the explosive.

Bill (CAPCOM): We are ready for launch.

Gene(Flight Dirctor): T-0:15 all systems are go. Bill Kerman will be doing the countdown in 3…2…1…

Bill (CAPCOM): Launch in 10…9…8…7…All systems are go…5…4...3…2…1…Ignition. See you later Zeus-1

KPjFe7z.png

(Alarm flashes on Dale’s desk)

Dale (Telemetry/communication officer): Parachute has deployed! Roger quickly roll west!

SC5CpOp.png

Roger (ROT control Officer): Copy.

iactKcp.png

Jeb (Zeus-1):Something is happening to the capsule.

Bill (CAPCOM) : Your parachute has deployed we are ripping the capsule off right now.

Dale (Telemetry/communications officer): SRB has detached. Flying towards the pad.

DzLu19B.png

Stan (RO) : I have no communication with the Booster, but it is on a safe path at the pad.

8p7Y7qP.png

Fred (Biologist): Jebs heart rate is up 50%. He is safe though.

ywlp2nP.png

Bill (CAPCOM): How you feeling Jeb.

Jeb (Zeus-1) That was awesome.

vHlz9GE.png

Dale (Telemetry/communications officer): Capsule has landed safely. Booster has crashed.

w4XpyCv.png

Gene (Flight Director): CAPCOM you need to tell Jeb to get out of his capsule and collect a surface sample.

Bill (CAPCOM): You just barely survived, but we need you to do the experiments.

Jeb (Zeus-1): Okay, Crew Report #0001JEB the scientists couldnot stage my capsule right, so I am on the launch pad.

hlsqYis.png

Bill (CAPCOM): Now you need to get out Jeb.

Jeb (Zeus-1): I am opening the hatch now. It appears there are signs of intelligent life. Oh wait.

TRnDPVe.png

8QQQjvb.png

Bill (CAPCOM): Collect a surface sample, a log, and plant the flag. Then you can back into the capsule.

Jeb (EVA-1): Copy.

pMjEIMq.png

FIBo0PS.png

tlnDveQ.png

Jeb (EVA1): What is this stuff I am picking up. It is like partially flesh or something. Log #0002JEB I appear to have lost an important part of my ship.

e9bClX6.png

viaTEor.png

Bill (CAPCOM): Now plant the beacon/flag.

Jeb (EVA1): Okay.

gSXoW7f.png

vEVvuyz.png

xWJnAPW.png

jkeTKvg.png

lyk2DUV.png

id1KyFI.png

KfDv8Dr.png

Awk9rsV.png

Bill(CAPCOM): Seriously Jeb, uhhh get back to the ship.

Jeb(Zeus-1): I am back in the ship awaiting recovery.

Gene (Flight Control): I am declaring this mission a partial success. Debreifing in five minutes.

Jeb (Zeus-1): Does anyone want to help me out of my suit.

Gene (Flight Director): There is your job Bob.

Bob: Wait what!?!

Gxpy0CK.png

-Author's Notes-

Sorry about the lack of updates, but AP US History got in the way of me writing this chapter. School must always come before KSP, except when I am bored.

Edited by Skyrunner27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.