Kethane: resetting/editing the distribution map? [SOLVED]

neiromaru

Is there a way to reset the kethane distribution map for a planet/moon? I just finished mapping Laythe and there's only one hexagon near the south pole that has any land under it.

A way to add kethane to an area and/or increase the number of deposits would be nice too as I'm trying to find an area with kethane and ore to set up a space center with the extra-planetary base mod.

I realize that the rarity of kethane is part of the balance of this mod, and i don't want to disrupt that too much, but surely it's not intended for only a random percentage of players to have a universe where they can land in an area with both kethane and ore.

Edited by neiromaru

There are two scenario {} sections in the persistance file.

One of them contains all the kethane-related information for your save game - it should be fairly obvious which one. If not just search for Kethane.

Every planetary body has a scan mask (map of scanned areas) represented by a block of characters, which shows how disclosed (after scanning) your planet is. Incidentally, if you want to make the planet fully scanned you can just overwrite all these characters with full stops (.) and in-game will show a fully scanned planet.

However, as far as I'm aware Kethane generation is done by starting with a 'seed' which reliably generates the same pattern of Kethane every time that particular seed is used. The persistance file just stores amounts of Kethane in each deposit, so you can't alter the location or spread of the deposits without changing the random seed.

If you're still using Kethane 0.7.7 or haven't upgraded to 0.8, change the seed number (to anything!), remove the SCENARIO section in your persistance file that contains the Kethane information (being careful to leave the other SCENARIO section untouched) and it will regenerate a different pattern, but there's still no guarantee the new pattern will have Kethane where you want. The seed number can be found in the resources.cfg file in the Kethane folder.

My understanding is that new Kethane deposit generators will be coming soon.

If you want Kethane and Ore in the same place, just regenerate both resources by deleting the SCENARIO section in your persistance file, edit the resources.cfg so that Ore and Kethane have the same seed, and voila. Ore and Kethane in the same place.

Thank you! I'd been looking around in all the .cfgs in the kethane folder and never even thought to look in the persistence file!

Unfortunately kethane and ore seem to have totally different generation algorithms so just using the same seed for both didn't work. But after trying a few seeds and messing around slightly with the numbers at the top of the kethane section, which seem to define the limits for deposit generation I came up with a satisfactory result.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Deposits are the amount of kethane in area with kethane, if you fully scan kethane map of planet you will see kethane is clustered in central areas rather then scattered acrooss, each deposit number is the amount of kethane in a cluster of kethane area

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.