[1.4.3]ALCOR,"Advanced Landing Capsule for Orbital Rendezvous" by ASET (08/02/2017)

alexustas

Camacha: wouldn't a real craft have the altimeter calibrated to be accurate to the dimensions of the craft? though obviously would only work in the expected orientation (then again unless the radar sensor is omni-directional or possible to turn etc it would only work "down")

On real craft the altimeter is also mounted on a specific spot, meaning parts of the craft can be above or below it. Some magic device that always tells you what the lowest part is is no fun.

It's not "magic" to say "the altimeter is installed 5 meters up on the craft, so let's calibrate that to zero when it's on the runway or launch pad." Also, that "magic" device that highway cops use to see how fast you're going? It uses invisible magic radio waves that you can't see. :rolleyes:

I think you misunderstood Camacha. He wasn't saying the basic function of the altimeter was magic, he was implying that its ability to know where the lowest part of a craft is in relation to the ground regardless of orientation is implausibly sophisticated.

And it is - the idea that a radar altimeter would be programmed with the full dimensions of a craft attached to it is implausible and could be seen as silly, and a lot of people would denigrate the idea by attaching the slightly pejorative adjective "magic" to it.

I think you misunderstood Camacha. He wasn't saying the basic function of the altimeter was magic, he was implying that its ability to know where the lowest part of a craft is in relation to the ground regardless of orientation is implausibly sophisticated.

And it is - the idea that a radar altimeter would be programmed with the full dimensions of a craft attached to it is implausible and could be seen as silly, and a lot of people would denigrate the idea by attaching the slightly pejorative adjective "magic" to it.

I can see such a radar system existing, but it takes quite a bit of work to get there. If the player gets that all for free, that is magic in my book. Nothing pejorative about that, I just use it to indicate that users get the (unusual and atypical) ability without any input or work attached to it. If technology would fall out of our sky without anyone having to work for it, it would be called magic too :)

Calibrating to zero seems a lot more plausible and realistic. It does mean that landing is not as straightforward as putting the counter to zero, as coming in at an angle could spell disaster. Dealing with that is exactly what makes this game fun and challenging in my book.

Wait a minute...

Not what I was advertised.

I installed everything! Where's that beyond awesome IVA I was promised?!

Are you using Active Texture Management? If so, you need to reduce the setting from Aggressive to something lower.

Are you using Active Texture Management? If so, you need to reduce the setting from Aggressive to something lower.

its not the textures, its the IVA, He packaged the IVA and Props sepreately for some weird reason

its not the textures, its the IVA, He packaged the IVA and Props sepreately for some weird reason

But he did make a map of how the install should look like it's not that hard to read.

http://i.imgur.com/oE9v81N.png

Edit-- And about 2 pages back Zwelch had about the same problem and he said he replaced the Module Manager with the new version 2.1.0. Now it works, But you can tell ATM is beating his texture up bad or his got bad video problems.

Edited by Mecripp2

I installed everything! Where's that beyond awesome IVA I was promised?!

It looks as if installed only capsule without 'IVA Patch' and 'ASET Props pack'

...or not installed (or 'broken') ModuleManager

.. And anyway, considering that 80% of voters had either no change or a slight change, I'd say it's a pretty definitive answer...

I think you're right, there's enough data to make two conclusions:

1. There's nothing that needs removing.

2. There's no need to add anything.

I'll try to fix the collider (see here and here) and other bugs (here and here) and will start preparing the capsule for a full release.

Also, I've decided not to put the next project up for voting, I decided I'm going to work on KONQUEST.

First Module preview

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think you're right, there's enough data to make two conclusions:

1. There's nothing that needs removing.

2. There's no need to add anything.

I'll try to fix the collider (see here and here) and other bugs (here and here) and will start preparing the capsule for a full release.

Also, I've decided not to put the next project up for voting, I decided I'm going to work on KONQUEST.

First Module preview

http://imgur.com/a/zRXyZ

That's ridiculously good looking, nice work!

hey alexustas, should you start a new development thread for the new project? - it might not be good to crowd together the two implementations and the responses/bugs for each?

yes, of course I'll do it :)

No idea why the downloads don't all just have gamedata as the root folder, common way for modders to make mod installing easy, having weird other folders as root and gamedata bellow that is confusing to people and rife to mis-installs, I'll bet an imaginary $5 that he's put the weird root folders into gamedata/KSP folder causing the mod's gamedata to be elsewhere than it should.

Edited by K3|Chris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.